August 24, 2018

I have missed it

Filed under: My Life and Rants — Scottie @ 20:47

When in Germany I got introduced to peppermint schnapps.  I was introduced to a lot of liquor and drinks I did  like.  I did enjoy the beer, who didn’t.   I even bought a mini keg cooler machine last year but then couldn’t get the mini kegs.  We recently found out where to get the locally , so I will be getting it out and set up.  Today I bought a small bottle of peppermint schnapps which I have not had in many years.  I have only had a couple sips but I can feel it and I have to say I enjoy it.   Maybe it is the memories of the grand times I had back then in my late teens and early 20’s.   I hope I wont regret this in the morning.  Hugs

1. 😈🤢

Comment by Nan — August 24, 2018 @ 20:52

2. hey Scottie, where did you in contact with peppermint-schnaps? I as a 77 year old German never drank it. But it should go down well with ice-cream ( vanilla???) 🙂 and it is said to help with a bad stomach.

Comment by miles — August 25, 2018 @ 13:52

• I love it. It comes in different flavors also. I am not sure exactly when I first tasted it. I think it may have been when I was in Landstuhl but it could have been in Stuttgart or West Berlin as I was stationed at both for some time. If you try it let me know how you like it. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 25, 2018 @ 13:58

• Well, Berliners have that kind of Pfefferminz-Schnaps. But not me.
        When I was in the airforce for 10 years , I was drunk nearly every evening at about 2 /mille. and after those 10 years I was nearly an alcoholic. So I stopped drinking from one day to the other, and that of course stopped me, from becoming an alcoholic.That was in 1972, when I decided to become a teacher instead and I succeeded in, as you know. And since that time there is a strict rule in my life: No alcoholics, not even chocolates filled with liquor. 🙂
        But I hope, that peppermint-schnaps reminds you of good days in ole Germany 🙂

Comment by miles — August 25, 2018 @ 15:30

• I loved my time in Germany Miles. It was one of the great highlights of my life. I would have stayed if I could have learned the language. I even found out I could have gotten my nursing degree all paid for if I would agree to work in the country for X amount of years. But they required that with in 6 months I had to be fluent in German. I spent almost 4 years in Germany and I just couldn’t learn the language. I miss the fun we had. Young carefree guys and gals just living life. I miss the Octoberfests, where you would sit in a huge tent with a huge mug of beer talking and listening to music. I miss the guest houses we went to where you could drink and play games and just hang out. I miss riding our bikes around Berlin in safety stopping at little road side places and having a beer or such and then off again to find new places. It was in West Berlin I went to my first nude beach. I had no idea of such a place and yes as an American I was flustered and embarrassed. But I soon forgot that and got into the spirit of it. My friends and I would ride to the beach, stopping at a place to buy flip top beers, put them in our back packs and spend the day at the beach. I have never seen flip tops anywhere else. I thought the were great. So Yes Miles, I matured a lot while in your country and I am grateful for the opportunity to have lived there. Even though I was horrible at German, any place I went I would try and mess it up, and the people would smile and talk to me in English. I met so many grand people. It was hard for me to realize what it would be like with the wall gone, I had seen it so often. I have a hard time knowing that white nationalist Nazi’s are again gaining strength because the people were so loving when I was there. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 25, 2018 @ 15:53

• Thks for these insights my dear friend
            With hugs