September 24, 2018

White washing history

image

1. That’s certainly a sad state of affairs. If this isn’t proof positive that history is written by the (evil) victors, then I don’t know what is. Hearing about the real stories of Columbus is infuriating how him and his people got away with serial rape and genocide.

Comment by ospreyshire — September 24, 2018 @ 20:17

• I know. I was stunned when I first hear about all the horrible abuses taken by Columbus and his men. I have a friend who is an American Indian or as some prefer a member of the first people. She opened my eyes and I was so angry I had not been told the truth in my school years. I had no idea. I am now totally against celebrating Columbus day in any way. It should be a somber day of shame and regret. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — September 24, 2018 @ 20:38

• Same here. It was the polar opposite of what I’ve learned as a child. That’s great how you were able to talk with someone who is indigenous about the situation. I would also recommend some of the written works and videos of Winona LaDuke. I don’t blame you for not celebrating Columbus Day. The rest of the country should be like Seattle (or was it Washington State at large? I forget), and replace Columbus Day with Native American Appreciation Day.

Comment by ospreyshire — September 25, 2018 @ 14:11

• Wonderful Idea. How do we get that made country wide? I sent an email to Michelle who is Native First People to ask if she would consider writing a few posts about history and about her ancestors, and even more important the way they are still harmed today by bigotry. I really hope she will do it, but she is really busy. She is an amazing woman with a lot going on in her life. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — September 25, 2018 @ 14:25

• Thanks! Good question. Maybe an online petition or something like that. It’s a great idea for your friend Michelle to write a few posts about the culture and history that’s rarely (if ever) taught in schools.

Comment by ospreyshire — September 25, 2018 @ 14:53

• All the heroes are bad. I did a few pieces on these so called great men. But Columbus gets a day because he single handedly killed 250,000 natives all because they were non-violent and believed in the sacredness of life. So they wouldn’t fight back. He enslaved thousands to be sold in Europe as slaves, Sold young girls as young as 9 to his men for sex slaves. Forced the population to mine gold and any not getting enough for the quota he’d remove ears, nose, private parts as punishment. He force converted the native people to Christianity.

Yes Columbus deserves to be celebrated because this is the tale of Europeans as a whole. Brutal, evil and twisted.

Comment by Michelle Styles — September 25, 2018 @ 15:32

• No disagreements about Columbus. Society has demonized people for doing far less than him. One could make a very strong case that he was nothing more than a genocidal slave trafficking pedophile. Maybe that’s why a lot of these sex offenders in high places look up to him (yeah, I said it!). He’s also the archetype for the Trans-Atlantic Slave trade that would be replicated with the Africans decades after Columbus’s time. One could also say that freaking Leopold II of Belgium would copy that mutilation and amputation process (much less overworking and starving out people) when he brutalized the Congo by killing 10 million of their people.

It’s insane how villains like him get celebrated and heroes who dared fighting back are demonized. Unbelievable.

Comment by ospreyshire — September 25, 2018 @ 17:06

• What got me was the total sadistic nature of Him and the men with him. Horrible to read what they did to those people for fun. As bad as it was to read I can not comprehend the suffering of the Natives. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — September 26, 2018 @ 06:51

• Definitely. It was like something that even horror movie directors would be too scared to touch for their films. I certainly sympathize and empathize especially when I researched the things against the African diaspora that rarely gets talked about. It’s amazing that you have a great amount of humanity to learn and to care about so many people let alone wanting to learn about these lesser-known histories.

Comment by ospreyshire — September 26, 2018 @ 17:55

• Thank you. I care about people. I really do. I have people I like and yes people I dislike. However I have met so many grand people online. Wonderful people that shows me that there are a lot of good people in the world. So when I hear about people not being treated fairly, being harmed, or denied the basics of life I want to understand so if I can help, I will understand how. I want to know the mistakes, the terrible history of our world, our societies, our communities so I can help make sure they never happen again. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — September 26, 2018 @ 20:39

• You’re certainly most welcome. I seriously think that caring about others’ humanities is becoming a dying art in this day and age.

Comment by ospreyshire — September 27, 2018 @ 10:01

• … and they all came from Europe, most of them in the name of the catholic faith or they fled the catholic church.!!!!! Oh yes, many of them were Refugees and immigrantswhich made them no less cruel…

Comment by Miles — September 25, 2018 @ 18:19

2. The white washing went far beyond the early years. They have tried to erase us all together.

It was 1924 before natives born on American soil could apply for citizenship. If you were born on a reservation though you still couldn’t claim to be a citizen because you owed loyalties to a foreign government (your tribe).

It was 1968 before we were allowed to vote. Provided we could pay the poll tax and pass literacy tests). Those were done away with in 1982

It was 1986 before eugenics was finally stopped on most native American reservations. The forced sterilization of women and men who went in for a common cold or flu. The forced abortions of babies. The systematic elimination of “an undesirable breed”.

It was 1997 before I could legally speak my own language and practice my own faith.
    Even today they steal our lands. They put the pipeline through standing rock because it posed a “significant threat to the water systems” of the white town just north of us. But hell we can just run it under the ONLY source of fresh water available to the native people.

They destroyed our writing, tried to take our faith, our language and our lives. This occurred into my lifetime. Even today they try and white wash us. Our contributions to America are ignored. Including the constitution, bill of rights, even the governmental system all stolen ideas and no credit is given.

Unlike this backward nation today we 500 years ago recognized every human (male and female) had the same rights and same voice. We recognized people as free to marry and love who they loved. There were no jails, no wars, no discrimination, no poverty, no money and no pollution. Unlike today and all the “progress” if you can call it that. But we were the savages, the non humans who were nothing but animals. /smdh

hugs
    me

Comment by Michelle Styles — September 25, 2018 @ 09:11

• Thank you for writing Michelle. the history you write about needs to be taught, and the wrongs committed against the native people addressed. I was so angered by the response to the protesters of the pipeline. They tried every dirty trick against the protesters and even made it legal to drive a vehicle into the protesters. The videos I seen were totally inhuman. Plus it was not stressed enough that this was land belonging to the Natives not to the white town or the corporation. Again it clearly showed the bigotry against the Native People that is still active today. I do not know when or how it will change, but it must change. For the future of us all, bigotry has to be stopped. Best wishes. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — September 25, 2018 @ 09:20

• Hello Michelle. I just sent you an email to the address you gave me, the one based on your blog. Think it over and let me know. Thanks and much respect. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — September 25, 2018 @ 14:05

3. Hi Scottie;
    First…. wow, Michelle, that was a very sad education for me.
    Second…. Hi Scottie…. Texas Board of Ed. routinely removing facts from history, replacing them with religious teachings and republican propaganda is a current thing. How wide spread is this, then?
    Considering my ignorance of much of what Michelle mentioned, I can only wonder at what I don’t know and what our current and future students will not be taught. Engendered ignorance (sigh).

hugs;
    randy

Comment by randy — September 25, 2018 @ 13:43

• Hello Brother. Glad you are up and awake. I left you a Skype message. I do not care for this new Skype. I forget to turn it on.

Yes Michelle has opened a lot of eyes about the history of the Native Americans. I looked into some of it and was horrified. I forget which president it was, but they convinced a large group of Natives First People to gather and then turn their weapons over to the military. They were given huge promises. Then after they made themselves helpless, the military gathered round them and killed them all. Males, females, children, pregnant women, all of them. After the shooting they went in and clubbed and stabbed anyone still living. It is horrible to read. The only reason we know of it is because some people refused to take part, and they were court marshaled and punished, stripped of rank and imprisoned.
      This is the history everyone really needs to know.
      Hey if you want to chat or text, I am home. Thinking of a pizza for lunch. New primary care lectured me five times about my weight and eating habits. Flock him. He doesn’t live my life. Gave me hell because I have not had my eyes checked yet. As a diabetic I am to have it done each year. Told him I spent 8 grand on my teeth this year and new glasses were not yet on the list of must have. He loves to lecture. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — September 25, 2018 @ 13:53

• Wounded knee. I have stood on that sacred ground and heard the cried of the ancestors. Very sad place of much needless death and betrayal.

Comment by Michelle Styles — September 25, 2018 @ 15:20

• That you felt the sadness says a lot. Most people today do not have a connection to the earth, to the land. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — September 26, 2018 @ 06:48

• You know Randy you just gave me a grand Idea. I am going to ask Michelle if she would like to post a few things about Native People on my blog. Thanks. I am off to ask her. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — September 25, 2018 @ 13:55