October 1, 2018

Well I am royally screwed !

Filed under: My Life and Rants — Scottie @ 22:05

I just heard on a science program that the brain is fully developed at about age 25.   Strange I did not get to maturity until well in to my 40’s.  Or 50’s.  Well really it moves depending on how old I am at the time.  So let be real here, my brain got to its maturity and now is declining at the same time I think I am getting more centered and wiser.   At this rate by the time I am 65 I will be a totally immature.    Shit I am so screwed.   Hugs

1. Oh, Scottie., Scottie. Look at the bright side. Look at how much FUN you had being immature for all those years, and now you can slide graciously and gracefully into upper middle age being mature and centered and wise and when you slide back into immature no one will ever notice because you are wise and centered as well.

There now, don’t you feel better?

Comment by judyt54 — October 1, 2018 @ 22:30

2. Hugs

Comment by House of Heart — October 1, 2018 @ 22:31

3. The brain might have developed at 25 but it hasn’t taken on life experiences yet which is what gives you maturity. I’m way older than you Scottie and I haven’t matured yet. When I have, I shall be the one everyone comes to for advice but my Alzheimer’s is really going to confuse things.
    Hugs

Comment by davidprosser — October 1, 2018 @ 23:36

4. Over the last decade or so I’ve read piles of stuff about the brain and neuroscience has us all on the edge of our seats. Apparently the self and free will are illusions but those who tell us this still carry on just as if they had identities and exercised free will , so take all this with a pinch of salt. Any look at active sports makes it clear that we begin to physically deteriorate when we leave our twenties , but mental clarity becomes better with experience , our judgement is less hasty and we become more humanized.
    The great American poet Emily Dickenson had this to say about the brain:
    ‘The Brain is wider than the Sky–
    For put them side by side–
    The one the other will contain
    With ease and You beside–‘

Comment by kersten — October 2, 2018 @ 04:49

• Yes. On free will I figure it doesn’t matter and we have to act as if we have free will. It is how we interact with the world. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 2, 2018 @ 06:34

• The claim that “free will is an illusion” is a quasi-religious fallacy. Because nothing we currently know about physics can explain free will, some people have concluded that free will must be either (a) an illusion or (b) of supernatural origin. A thousand years ago, the same argument would have “proved” that sunlight is either an illusion or supernatural. “We can’t explain it yet” does not equate to “it doesn’t exist”.

Comment by Infidel753 — October 2, 2018 @ 07:51

• I think you will find the religious world is spilt on the free will question . Calvinists do not believe we choose salvation but God choses who he will save. Not a bad idea for those who struggle to do God’s will — just move with the flow your helpless anyway. Baptists and others are horrified at such an idea they declare that God has given us free will to choose.
        Sam Harris has a few videos explaining why he believes free will is an illusion , but Daniel Dennent is not so sure and worries about the problem of human responsibility.

Comment by kersten — October 2, 2018 @ 10:04

5. I’m three years older than you are and I’m pleased to say I’ve successfully fended off maturity this whole time.

Comment by Infidel753 — October 2, 2018 @ 07:48

• 😄😃😂👍👍 Grand! love it. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 2, 2018 @ 07:50

• I’m 73, and am still fighting maturity, tooth and toenail. I think I was stuffier when I was in my twenties, but sometimes you hold your breath and the madness goes away. It’s a lot more fun this way. I have Legos. I’ll share.

Comment by judyt54 — October 2, 2018 @ 08:35

• Grand! A wonderful way to look at life. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 2, 2018 @ 08:39

6. Less hasty, more humanised ? So what happened to Trump?
    Hugs

Comment by davidprosser — October 2, 2018 @ 09:30

• tRump did not have anything much to get better as he aged. He is weaponless in a battle of wits. while he may have some human DNA, I think it is a sub species. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 2, 2018 @ 09:32

• Good point David perhaps he is one of the exceptions .

Comment by kersten — October 2, 2018 @ 10:08