October 13, 2018

It’s a very scary time for men and boys. So I wrote a song about it.

1. That’s a great song. Very accurate too.

Comment by jim- — October 13, 2018 @ 18:13

• Thank you Jim. I admit it hit me hard. I am lucky in my old age. I an old white man with a white beard. I do not have the fears I did as a kid and young man. But I have to admit I will never know the apprehension of women or non-white people over the simplest things in our life. As I wrote on my blog my first time seeing racism was when a black friend came to visit us in Florida. We took him out to eat and the waitress ignored him, talking only to Ron and I, and asking us what we would have, Then asking US what Laddie would have. I did not understand what was going on, why laddie was so downcast and why Ron was sudden so angry. Laddie asked us not to make a fuss over it, but Ron was not going to let this pass and he demanded to see the manger. When the waitress tried to refuse his demand, Ron when right up to the cashier and told them he would see who ever was in charge or have the local news station here in the morning. Things got fixed quick. But I was still confused until we got back home and Ron explained to me the racism still very strong in the south.
      I doubt I could be as strong as it takes to be a black person in the south. Until you see it, the way it impacts every part of your life is horrible, and destroying.

Yet I never thought of what females in our society must face. Like our friend Laddie they get use to it, they simply take it into themselves and don’t want to hurt those around them by standing up for themselves. I understand the idea of each and every day being worried about what you may say or do that brings a horrible violent painful response, but I left that behind at adulthood. Females in our country do not get to leave it behind. They must think of it and when it is not enough , as we have seen old white men judge them and ignore what happened to them. The Kavanaugh hearings were disturbing more because the white old Mormon men simply disregarded and did not care about the female in their approval of a white male.

I heard to day that the leading four of the republican men on the committee hearing the testimonies of both the accuser and of Kavanaugh’s defense were Mormons. They are taught that women are second class to men and have no value other wise. Plus they also are taught that unless there are two male witnesses the female account doesn’t matter. She had no chance at a fair hearing regardless of anything else due to their religious convictions

Jim in your experience have you see racism or sexism and how did you respond? Thanks. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 13, 2018 @ 19:09

• I have a great example, and my reaction was a bit like Ron’s. I built a fully finished shop in Yakima and moved in. My wife is Panamanian and is often mistaken for Mexican because of the Latino population of the area. The building inspector came to sign off the shop and everything was all good, literally pen in hand. My wife pulls up in the car and he looks at me and says, “this is a single family dwelling, you know, how many families are going to be living here?” Uh, just one, I said. He proceeded to nose around a bit more and refused to sign me off because of a missing pad by the back door. He said he also need to do another permit review on the house before we started. I. Was a little shocked, caught off guard. I said ok hesitantly.
        After it set in for a while I got in the car and went to the building dept. You don’t want to piss these guys off because they can make your life hell, but off I went. I was walking down the hall to Harold, the supervisors office and the inspector saw me. “Hey I just saw you, he said, what’s up”? “I’m here to file a complaint against you, even though I’m afraid to because you can make my life hell for the next four months”, I said. What? Me? What did I do? I called him on his bullshit move (in those terms) and he asked me to step in his office. Needless to say, he signed all my documents and while inspecting the house he never came inside. Just signed me off. In hindsight I wish I had went ahead and talked to the supervisor. No telling what this guy would do to others.

Comment by jim- — October 13, 2018 @ 19:26

• Thank you for sharing Jim. I have a real hate for bigotry, but I admit you and Ron handle it better than I do. I tend to get all bend out of shape and go off on a high horse of anger and upset. Which doesn’t fix anything. But people like you and Ron can use their anger to make things better. Best to you and your family. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 13, 2018 @ 19:36

• Jim one other thing. Well two . First I am so glad you stood up for your wife. I think that is grand. The other thing is really am struggling to understand bigotry based on ethnic history or race. Hate or spite for your wife, the anger and hate towards me as a gay man it seems to be all the same, and I just don’t understand it. All the fundamentalist religious folk say I am harming their marriages? I do not understand. I am being honest, I can not think of any time I judged anyone on skin color or sex, or anything other than their behavior. How someone treats me or others is how I tend to evaluate them. I do not understand blanket hate. I think you may have seen more of than I and have a better understanding than I do. Maybe it was I never dealt with anyone not my own white ass race until I went into the military, and there it was not a thing. Race really was not a issue in my units. So I never developed a bias. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 13, 2018 @ 19:49

• My personal experience where it was against me was in ft Lauderdale. My wife and I were there for a weekend and I finally told her no black person would so much as look at me. Walmart, Olive Garden, Best Buy, even the staff. she told me I was imagining things. I told her to watch this. I was headed in and he was headed out. I said hey I forgot my phone, can you tell me what time it is. He looked at me briefly and looked away and walked off. Browsed county has issues I think. Here in Washington things are pretty mellow. That place is a tinder box from my observations.

Comment by jim- — October 13, 2018 @ 19:58

• Wow, see that is totally new to me. Here where I live Hispanics are ignored. I wonder if it is regional. Heck what does that say about us as a country? I wonder why he looked away? Was it because you were white? That is really odd. As a white man in southern Florida since 1994 I have never felt discriminated against and even realized that I had white privilege. Maybe race interaction is more individually driven than culturally? That is a really big new idea to me. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 13, 2018 @ 20:12

• To be fair, I’ve only had that happen to me twice in my life. During the Pasadena fires about ten years ago there was a medic shortage. I went to Irwindale to work a medic unit and I wound up in Watts for a day. That was where I really got it for being white, but hey, I understand their plight. I just wish they could get out to another place and see the differences. If this black man I dealt with in Watts had come to my town in Wa, no one would care.

Comment by jim- — October 13, 2018 @ 20:18

• I thank you because you got me thinking in a different way. I was only thinking of racial discrimination in terms of white against black. But now that I think of it, that is not realistic. Every person has their own experiences and life back ground. So there really could be times when the racism I think of could be reversed and a black majority would have prejudice against white people. The real question is to me, is that learned or because of experience dealing with people of different color.

What I am asking or trying to figure out, is this. I never had any experience with a black person until I was in adult hood. I never had a bad experience at all with a black person. So I did not see them any different than me.

So what would have happened if things had been reversed? Jim you asked or simply let your experience ask a great question. I was foolish enough to look at racism through the one only lens of white to black, but there is a much wider view than that. This will take me some study and thought.

Thank you for showing me where my thinking dead ended. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 13, 2018 @ 21:02

• I would venture a guess, but I was in broward county right after the george Zimmerman thing. I suppose tensions may have been a little hot. But when I was in Texas many years ago, my brother in law was marrying a black woman. They friggin talked like they hated whites, the entire family, and it was though I was not even there. I know it goes both ways, but also being a minority in numbers they get a lot more racist by volume than they could ever give.

Comment by jim- — October 13, 2018 @ 21:10

• Maybe part of the problem is the fear of being put down on or being attacked for being one skin color of the other? I admit Have a presupposition about religious people due to my being gay. I automatically assume they are against me and will give me a hard time, crate a problem. So maybe the black people in the Watts area you wee in felt the same way? Either way it is sad, especially as you were there to help. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 13, 2018 @ 21:05

• I think you are right on. As an atheist we still have to be careful who openly knows. But some religious are fine with it. We just dont hear much from them.

Comment by jim- — October 13, 2018 @ 21:12

2. What a great song. As someone who knows many women who have been sexually harassed and/or assaulted, this song hit me hard.

Comment by Brendan Birth — October 14, 2018 @ 08:03

• It is a horrible thing to have your body violated that way. It affects not only the body but the mind and emotions. I do not understand what drives one person to do that to another. It has to be a power / control thing as some of these people doing it in the news have no other reason I can see to need to do it. The idea that one has to be constantly on guard to keep from being assaulted is a horrible way to go through life. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 14, 2018 @ 08:36

3. This was superb. Powerful message!

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — October 14, 2018 @ 08:49