October 14, 2018

Bloody cults

Filed under: Atheism, Cartoons, Memes, News, Questions, Reason, Religion — Scottie @ 09:03

Oh good, it’s almost over.

Except placebos are real.

Religious certainty never corrects.

1. I’m afraid the world is getting stupider and stupider and I don’t know why…yes trump, religion and Fox News, but why do so many become so gullible and fall into this? Why aren’t we getting smarter instead of stupider?

Comment by maryplumbago — October 14, 2018 @ 10:15

• Great questions. I do not have the answers. I think there has been an attack on education and science by religion and the republican party for at least 30 years. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 14, 2018 @ 10:49

• It’s so obvious to me that republicans and religion are two sides of the same coin. Both want power and control over our lives. The democrats on the other hand, seem to want more freedom of choice and have more long term concern for the coming generations and people other than whites…the disenfranchised.

It’s like good verses evil.

Comment by maryplumbago — October 14, 2018 @ 11:13

• Yes I agree. Yet not enough people are on the good side they say to get the senate control back. Yes it seems we will win the house, but we need the senate to stop all these religious ideologues from getting life time appointments to the courts. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 14, 2018 @ 11:15

• Actually, people are getting smarter over time — see “Flynn effect”. And religion is declining as the number of nonbelievers increases — at quite a pace in the US, since 2000. What you’re seeing is that the shrinking religious-fundamentalist element is getting more aggressive and militant. This is partly because it’s the least-extreme religious people who tend to abandon religion entirely, so that it’s the most militant who remain, and partly because they are increasingly alarmed at social change that disregards their taboos.

Note that these same effects are fueling groups like al-Qâ’idah and Dâ’ish (ISIL) in the Middle East and the militant Hindu religio-nationalism of the BJP and RSS in India, as well as the Christian Right in the US. It’s lashing out by groups who realize that on the deepest level they’re losing. They will even score wins now and then, like the election of Trump in the US and Modi in India, or the 1979 revolution in Iran. But it won’t change the overall trend. If you look at the last 400 years, there have been ups and downs but the general trend is a steady decline of religion.

Comment by Infidel753 — October 14, 2018 @ 12:44

• Interesting, and informative. Thanks for the information. What you wrote makes sense. Now the question for me is how to deal with the even more militant and active radical religious people? Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 14, 2018 @ 13:02

• Yes I agree. The Christian fundies are losing, so they are making more noise. The fact that we often distinguish fundamentalist Christians from other Christians should be some kind of indication here too. I mean, at one stage Christian fundamentalist beliefs were considered the norm, if you were Christian.

Comment by TheCovertAtheist — October 14, 2018 @ 16:34

• I hope you’re right.😊

Comment by maryplumbago — October 14, 2018 @ 17:18

2. These memes are very good. Thanks brotha!

Comment by jim- — October 14, 2018 @ 10:29

• They sure made me think, I like that. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 14, 2018 @ 10:45

3. Christianity has a penchant for disgusting metaphors. When I hear phrases like “washed in the blood of the lamb” in religious songs, it sounds like something out of a horror movie.

Comment by Infidel753 — October 14, 2018 @ 12:45

• Yes, I think the movie Carrie had a scene where she had blood dropped all over her. Very gross. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 14, 2018 @ 13:06

4. Some good quotes for a Monday morning at work 🙂

Comment by TheCovertAtheist — October 14, 2018 @ 16:24

5. Hello My Brother;
    Playing catch up on your blog. Saw this actually yesterday, but didn’t have the time to comment…. Do you know who that pastor is? I will leave the surprise to you.

Hugs;
    randy

Comment by randy — October 15, 2018 @ 16:52

• Hello Randy. I missed you this weekend. I was going to text you several times and got distracted. Hope all is well and you got some rest. What pastor? Do you mean the second meme? I have no idea, Sorry. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 15, 2018 @ 17:19