October 20, 2018

Baptist Preacher Goes on Unhinged Vile Rant Against LGBTQ People

Filed under: Asshole / Jerk, Bigotry, Harm, Homosexual, News, Questions, Religion — Scottie @ 14:21

This is Independent Fundamental Baptist Pastor Jonathan Shelley of Pure Words Baptist Church in Houston, Texas giving a lengthy rant against the mere existence of gay people… who he claims are shoving their agenda “down your throat.”

Even beyond that, he claims that since LGBTQ people “hate God” when it comes to sexuality, they’re also capable of all kinds of evil.

1. Well, that was awful. But not unexpected. I’m kind of used to such rhetoric from reading right-wing sites (and their commenters) — which I do because it’s important to keep a realistic view of just how awful these people are — which I assume is why you posted this.

We have to be realistic. Some people think we should dial back the culture wars and find a way to compromise and coexist. But how do you compromise and coexist with the guy in that video? I’m in favor of cultural pluralism (another difference between us and them — they want everyone to live their way), but people like this will never fit in and will never want to. We can’t meet them halfway. It’s going to be our world or theirs, and only ours has any future.

Comment by Infidel753 — October 20, 2018 @ 15:08

• Yes, I agree. I feel it is important to know what is being said and how so we can address it. I know it shouldn’t hurt anymore. But today for some reason I am taking all the hate, all the insults, all the bullshit far too personally and way too deeply inside me. I am upset. I thought by my age, by this time in our country, by the 21 century we would be well beyond this crap. I thought we were really making progress to equality before 2016. Yes there were bumps in the road but we had a road and I thought it was getting so much better. I failed to understand the depth of the backlash and the deep hate in the US. ONe half white half black guy gets elected president and half the contry loses it sshit and craps their pants. I want to screen at them all of us have ethnic black DNA , there is no pure race. Race is a social construct. I want to scream gay people do not recruit it is heterosexual straight couples birthing gay and transgender people. I wish I could demand these people educate themselves. I do remember as a 7th grader and hearing constantly what Anita Bryant was saying about gay people and knowing I was one, and also being in the locker room knowing if any of those people knew I was gay my world would end. I left that fear behind as an adult. Today I wonder if we need we will be pushed back into the past to that fear again. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 20, 2018 @ 15:30

• This … it is heterosexual straight couples birthing gay and transgender people … is what they overlook and deny. “Nah … can’t be MY kid that has this deficiency. Must be some ‘fag’ influencing him!” 😠😢

Comment by Nan — October 20, 2018 @ 15:43

• Thanks Nan. Yes the old thing of gays recruiting. I have heard it all my life and hated it. No one recruited me. I have known I was gay all my life it seems. I never had a doubt nor was I conflicted in my desires, just that I feared what would happen to me if others knew. I get so angry when some straight person says they know we gay people were not born this way. And all they have to back it up is they are not gay, their god doesn’t like gays, or it doesn’t fit the plumping. The last one has me really confused. Anyway when I hear someone say it is not natural being gay, I want to screem. I grew up on farms, the many animals I grew up around all had times of gay play. The natural world is full of gay sex and play. Yet these people deny all science and all studies to stick to their feelings it is icky. One last thing. I know this is not something to brag about, but as a young guy in both the Navy and then the Army I had more sex with guys than I ever did before joining. Most of the guys were straight or so they claimed. One or two I knew were gay and they denied it. Some like my Sergeant who were honest and out as could be then. The point I want to make is there are a lot of myths spread by religious leaders that simply do not match the facts. I get so frustrated trying to get people to see the reality who simply do not want to see the truth. They prefer their hate, their false information, anything than to admit the truth. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 20, 2018 @ 15:59

• I’m sure you’ve seen it pointed out that homosexuality has been observed in 450 mammal species, homophobia in only one. For whatever reason, it’s a widely-occurring part of the general phenomenon of sexuality, and aside from a taboo which crops up in a few religions (mostly Abrahamic), there’s no basis for anybody to have a problem with it.

Of course the fundies don’t accept that, but what kind of grasp of biology can you expect from people whose “infallible” book says that the first man was created from dust and the first woman was created from that man’s rib.

Comment by Infidel753 — October 20, 2018 @ 17:54

• You are correct and I agree.

Also I have been told that biologist are now saying that having gays in a population is a survival trait for our species. It seems that having adults with no offspring of their own tend to protect and provide for others offsprings in their group / family. It was observed as long ago as in Never Cry Wolf
              by Farley Mowat
              That wolves who had lost a mate or never taken a mate would fill in while the parent wolves were busy. They filled all aspect of the pack and would be accorded the ranks and authority of the others wolves.

It seems biologically from what I have read that the female womb takes a repeat male as a threat and changes the chemicals. It is normally the third male child that they say triggers this change, but the fact is the more male children a female has the more the chemical changes in her womb that causes the child to be born with a same sex attraction. That is the current theory as I understand it. I am a third male.

Thanks and hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 20, 2018 @ 18:58

• What I do not understand is what the Ambrehanic religions have such a problem and hatred to same sex attraction? Other older religions never did.

I really think that the taboos which develop in specific religions are almost random. Certainly with ancient Judaism that seems to have been the case. Why beard-trimming? Why eating pork specifically? Why wearing clothes made from two different kinds of material? Why picking up pieces of wood on one day of the week? Why homosexuality? Yes, we can trace some of those back to their cultural origins, but for all practical purposes they’re arbitrary. The native Shintô religion in Japan had a taboo on women entering mine tunnels, and that can be traced back to a cultural origin as well, but really, these taboos are essentially random.

As long as Judaism was a minor fringe culture in an insignificant part of the Middle East, it didn’t matter. The problem is that it produced two derivative religions, Christianity and Islam, which inherited the homosexuality taboo and eventually — to our infinite misfortune — came to dominate the entire Europe / Middle East / North Africa cultural region. The Classical Greco-Roman-Persian cultures which had previously dominated that region (and are the real origins of our own civilization), as you say, didn’t have a taboo on homosexuality. I really think that’s all it is, just an accident of history that that whole huge region was taken over by two religions which had inherited the homosexuality taboo from ancient Judaism. If that hadn’t happened, the West as a whole wouldn’t even have thought of homophobia.

There’s still the question of why modern hard-line Christians and Muslims get so worked up over homosexuality when they don’t seem to care much about the other stuff like, say, beard-trimming. I suspect it’s because in ancient times homosexuality was one of the most visible and obvious differences between the Abrahamic way of life and the Classical culture. Homosexuality had an accepted and institutionalized place in ancient Persian, Roman, and especially Greek culture, to the point that bisexuality in males was almost normative. This must have seemed especially shocking to the early Jews, Christians, and Muslims. I suspect this led to the acceptance or condemnation of homosexuality becoming a defining mark of which culture a person identified with, and it remained so through the centuries down to today. But it’s all ultimately rooted in the fact that ancient Judaism just happened to develop that arbitrary taboo, for reasons that are lost in the mists of the ancient history of a tiny and primitive group of nomads.

One of these days I’m going to write a post about this. The Christian and Islamic obsession with condemning homosexuality is definitely a bizarre cultural phenomenon which needs an explanation.

Comment by Infidel753 — October 20, 2018 @ 20:14

• Thank you, that is very informative. Kyle from the Non Sequitur Youtube show says that in the old Roman times of paganism there were male temple prostitutes most of which were minors. Believers would go to the temple, have sex with these minor boys as their duty to the god. This lead to a backlash among the newer religion saying you must not lay down with a male as you do a female. He claims that is what really was meant in the bible we have today about males not laying as with females thing. I am not a scholar so I can not tell.

Thanks for everything. You always give a well thought out answer and I learn a lot. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 20, 2018 @ 20:24

• It’s entirely natural that you take it personally. If these people got the kind of society they wanted, it would certainly affect you personally, even if it would also affect a few million other people the same way. Guys like him have no right to expect their targets not to take it personally when they vomit out all this hatred.

Remember that there are a lot of people in your corner too. The categories of people that the knuckle-draggers hate for one reason or another make up the great majority of the population, and its been sinking in over the last two years that we all have a common enemy. They’re barely clinging to minority rule with a bunch of gimmicks like gerrymandering and vote suppression. Once that goes, like apartheid, it’s gone for good.

Oh, yes, the “gays recruit” thing. Classic projection. It’s not gays who recruit, it’s Christians, at least the more cultish groups. You don’t see gay people going door-to-door or approaching people in public places, pestering strangers to adopt their way of life. It’s Jehovah’s Witnesses and fundies and Mormons you see doing that.

Comment by Infidel753 — October 20, 2018 @ 17:47

• Thank you. Again you put things in perspective. I do hope the majority come out this election, we need them. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 20, 2018 @ 18:14

• A very valid point ‘ heterosexual straight couples birthing gay and transgender people ‘ Some of those couples struggle but many learn to love their children. This man would recommend such parents cut their children off yet he would preach that God’s love reaches out to all mankind.

Comment by kersten — October 21, 2018 @ 04:09

• Good morning Kersten. You are correct. I have posted memes telling parents to be careful voicing their hate of LGBTQ as their child maybe one of the LGBTQ. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 21, 2018 @ 05:23

• By the way I really enjoy your comments. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 20, 2018 @ 15:31

2. This poor co.. suc…is ever soo stupid, that he most probably doesn’t know, that there are 99 different bibls writtten by 99 different people. Ho would this stupid know, if there is the the right one. One should ask those poor shits, what he is doing about his sexuality. One should ask every one of those stupids: By what do you differ from a faggot; with what hand do you wank or do you prefer to suck yourself.

Comment by miles — October 20, 2018 @ 15:52

• I agee. Do you know the new religious thing sweeping the USA? there are religious groups now saying the King James Bible is the only true bible. They deny the facts that it is a translation commanded by a very gay king. They say it is the one and only true bible. I have to say Miles the stupidity is drowning my country. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 20, 2018 @ 16:02

3. And who autorized these religious groups, to tell so??
    I claim, that the bible Maria Magdalena – Jesus daughter has written – is the only right one. All who say otherwise, are blunt liars especially creationists.
    BTW: hitler most prob. has been gay too, which might be the reason, that he “used” his hate against gays to cover up himself. Or he was just in fear of gays in the Army that could out him.

Comment by miles — October 20, 2018 @ 16:25

• Could be MIles, it very well could be. I knew some gay guys who were the most anti gay. I have heard so many myths told about the bible, about the characters in it, I find it hard to credit any of them are really. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 20, 2018 @ 16:32

4. Of course: None of them is the real one, but as there no real one does exist it could well be Magdalenas bibl. All are fairytale-books. It is useless to seek the truth in that lie-building of the christians, cause there is no truth.
    Sit down naked on a circular saw and switch it on, and then – please tell – which tooth has cut you first. Just that is the truth of cristian bibles.
    Scottie, pls. tell me: Why should I stick o the truth, while cristians around me are chaming the birds out of th trees. If someone is making fun of me, like this ever soo stupid faggot pastor, I call him a faggot and ask him , which hand he prefers to use.
    in all the lies we have to learn to defend, and I prefer to do that with he same verbal methods, as the raping priests do.
    To all atheists: Magdalenas bible is the right one and only one. 🙂

Comment by miles — October 20, 2018 @ 17:09

• Miles I wish I had the answer to give you. Why should stick to the truth when others lie about you? I think because there is some honor in the truth, in being true to yourself, and in the good you can do by telling the truth. So much as been accomplished by people like me and you bing ourselves.

Remember when FoFo was telling spreading lies about money and the party connections on my blog? You told everyone the truth. You did it with facts, not emotional jabs as he did. You never called him names but I had to repeatedly censor him and reject his personal attacks on you. He couldn’t fight the facts so he made personal attacks, which I wouldn’t allow. I deleted them and when he wouldn’t stop, I blocked him from commenting. Boy then he went nuts, but only I could see it.

Miles I can not say why you fight this good fight, but I do because I know the enemy is lying about us, about me. I know there are good folk out there , they simply do not have all the facts.

Of course there are simply people out there we can not reach , people who the facts mean nothing to. Still we can only tell them the truth or lay out our case, then what happens is out of our control.

Miles you have fought longer and harder than I, and you have suffered as much. Tell me, do we give up on the future, do we deny help to the new generations coming, or do we help the new ones to take the field as we leave it? I think I will keep fighting to help the younger people make this the world I want to see it be. We may lose, but we will go down fighting for what is right. Loves and hugs good friend. I know winter has started where you are. Please stay warm and well. The world needs you. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 20, 2018 @ 17:55

5. Well my friend: Fofo never told lies about you or me, as I remember. So there was nor reason to attack him with any other means than facts and truth. What the christians do, is something else:They try to hurt others definitely by spreading lies about their sexuality. – knowing that they spread lies – just for hurting others.
    You ar right my friend , I fight these prejudices since 65 years, and I learned to distinguish between people, who just dont understand other ways of feelings towards others, and the hatered which one can feel from people like this faggot pastor, who cant even bend his crooked fingers by using force on them , and so crooked is his brain – or let us say, what is left of it. This gay man does deny to be gay, but deep within him, he is. and so he does anything to hurt his alikes.
    That is the way,christian deniers of their own sexuality try to handly their own being gay. – by trying to punish their alikes.
    Mildly you might call that bigot. But it is far more than that, because it soo full of – self- unknown self-loathing, that this kind of hate is getting dangerous for all affected around.
    So, dear friend, you cant measure them selfhaters with “normal” psychological benchmarks.
    Know, that 8 % of college-youth find themselves as gay, lesbian or bi. So, under the wings of the lying clergymen must be many of them selfhaters.
    And again there is the the disastrous influence of these Fairytale-bookS callled BIBELS.
    All gay internet users should start an internet-offensive, telling all people, that there is not only one bible but 99 written by all different writers. So there cant be ONE Bible – thats a fairytale.

These are only the English versions of BIBLs:

King James Version (KJV)
    New International Version (NIV)
    New American Standard Bible (NASB)
    New King James Version (NKJV)
    English Standard Version (ESV)
    New Living Translation (NLT)
    Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
    New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
    New Century Version (NCV)
    What is The Voice translation of the Bible?
    New English Bible (NEB)
    American Standard Version (ASV)
    Good News Bible (GNB) / Today’s English Version (TEV)
    Amplified Bible (AMP)
    Today’s New International Version (TNIV)
    New English Translation (NET)
    Lexham English Bible (LEB)?
    Revised Standard Version (RSV)
    Contemporary English Version (CEV)
    God’s Word Translation (GW)
    Common English Bible (CEB)
    What is the Recovery Version of the Bible?
    New International Readers Version (NIrV)
    Easy-To-Read Version (ERV)
    Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)
    Bible in Basic English (BBE)
    21st Century King James Version (KJ21)
    What is the Modern King James Version (MKJV)?
    What is the Modern English Version (MEV)?
    World English Bible (WEB)
    Revised English Bible (REB)
    Jerusalem Bible (JB)
    New American Bible (NAB)
    The Living Bible (TLB)
    The Message (MSG)
    Young’s Literal Translation (YLT)
    Wycliffe Bible
    Tyndale Bible
    Coverdale Bible
    Matthew Bible
    Great Bible
    The Bishops’ Bible
    Douay-Rheims Version (DRV)
    Geneva Bible

Comment by miles — October 21, 2018 @ 08:41

• That is a lot of different bibles. I think of all the translation errors and transcription errors as well. Then think how many more errors must have been done thousands of years in the past. Thanks Miles. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 21, 2018 @ 08:59

6. Sick!

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — October 21, 2018 @ 10:12

7. Why do people make such a big deal about sex anyway? It’s a momentary pleasure and/ or a feeling of closeness and connection to another human being. In a way it alleviates loneliness.

Who cares what sex they each are or who they have sex with the next time as long as someone isn’t assaulted against their will or degraded by the act.

Comment by maryplumbago — October 21, 2018 @ 10:53

• These fundamentalist religious leaders obsess over gay sex than gay people do. And for them it is the sex only they have constantly on their mind. Asked why they hate homosexuality the come right to the acts of sex they think gay people are having.

It does make me wonder because all the horrible things they say god will let happen ( always lets happen never just causes ) because of the gays never happen. So these people focus on sex acts. The plumbing they like to say. But that doesn’t make any sense, just like all their arguments. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 21, 2018 @ 11:09