October 25, 2018

We Voted

Filed under: My Life and Rants, News, Political — Scottie @ 14:29

Ron and I went this afternoon to the early voting place near us.  I love it.  It is a huge center and they have plenty of parking, lots of staff, and I never have to wait in line.  I normally get a good spot in one of the closer to the door handicap spaces.  Today I needed it as I was really having trouble.    As you get to the door to the inside a nice gentleman opens the door for you.   Then as you go in to the lobby there is another volunteer sitting next to a hallway.  So even though it may only be thirty feet you have guides.   Just as you start to turn down the hallway there is a door on the right, it opens into a big room.  On one side of the room is a line of tables with volunteers to check you in.  No lines.  It is very relaxed.  After you sign and get your ballot, there is four lines of little stands, and two of sit down ones.  I always use the sit down ones because it gets hard for me to support myself with the cane and fill in the little circles in the paper ballots .  This year we had three pages.  After you mark your ballot you take it to end of the room and there are people there to help you put it in the readers and confirm you voted.  Like for me I needed the person there to hold my cane so I could use one hand to hold the stack of papers and they other to shove it in the reader.   I got my “I voted” sticker which Ron peeled off and put on my shirt for me.  Everyone is so nice and seem to be having fun.  So I feel good.  Hugs

1. We’ve already voted too.. I am so grateful for other ways to vote than the crowds and long lines on the actual day. We vote by mail because it is so much easier for Bob with his physical limitations.

Comment by Espirational — October 25, 2018 @ 14:53

• I am glad you got to vote. Voting by mail worries me because of what is happening in Georgia where they are throwing out ballots for seemingly racist reasons. We did do it one year before they opened this center near us. We had to go to the next town over and stand in long lines. I couldn’t do it and Ron complained. So rather than fix the problem the elections supervisor simply told Ron to use mail in ballots. He was upset but we had no choice that year. Now we figure out what day Ron has off during early voting and I research everything. We go over it it all, I write it up in a easy to follow print off, and we use it to vote with. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 25, 2018 @ 14:58

2. I voted too. I was hesitant to vote by mail, but it worked out great. They let me know that they received and processed my completed ballot a few days ago. $Amen$

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — October 25, 2018 @ 14:58

• Wonderful. I like that they tell you they got it and they honored it. In Georgia they were simply throwing out the ballots from majority black people areas. The people never were told. I read a judge demanded they stop doing it, but what about those who they already threw away? Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 25, 2018 @ 15:00

3. Sounds like Georgia. Asshole GOP! The only reason I voted this way is because they said they’d send a confirmation email when they processed the ballots. Plus, this is Chicago, and they like Dems here, not like Georgia. That shit they’re doing there is sickening and criminal, but with our new “Rubber Stamp” Supreme Court, nothing the GOP does will matter anymore.

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — October 25, 2018 @ 15:06

• Yes, in fact the Scotus gave them permission to use the system they are using to throw out 75% of black votes. Black people make up 34 % of the area and 75 % of the thrown out ballots are from black people. When we did our mail in, we don’t know if it was counted or not. I like your states idea of emailing a person. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — October 25, 2018 @ 15:09