November 3, 2018

10 Commandments (for Atheists)

Filed under: Atheism, Ideas, News, Reason, Religion — Scottie @ 10:17
  1. Be open minded and be willing to alter your beliefs with new evidence.
  2. Strive to understand what is most likely to be true, not to believe what you wish to be true.
  3. The scientific method is the most reliable way of understanding the natural world.
  4. Every person has the right to control over their body.
  5. God is not necessary to be a good person or to live a full and meaningful life.
  6. Be mindful of the consequences of all your actions and recognise that you must take responsibility for them.
  7. Treat others as you would want them to treat you and can reasonably expect them to want to be treated. Think about their perspective.
  8. We have the responsibility to consider others including future generations.
  9. There is no one right way to live.
  10. Leave the world a better place than you found it.

1. Love these.

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — November 3, 2018 @ 11:14

2. No mention of beer? There MUST be beer, dammit!

🙂

Comment by Arkenaten — November 3, 2018 @ 12:08

3. A pretty good set of guide lines . My favorites are 9 and 10 but 4 , 6 and 7 worry me.
    I will just give one example : have the right to control my own body and commit suicide ? Do I not in part belong to my family and friends.
    I suspect the purpose behind this one was abortion but there are many ways I can illtreat myself which put a burden on others.
    Number 6 in a way this confirms my mistrust of number 4 but we cannot be aware of the consequences of all our actions ‘ he did it with the best will in the world ‘ So the saying goes. Number 7 Some might consider an annual holiday abroad part of the essential way they should be treated.
    The fortunate thing is that atheists and other non theists can make their own minds up they don’t have to live by any written set of rules.

Comment by kersten — November 3, 2018 @ 14:04

• Hello Kersten. I think this is another time we disagree. You have a right to your body including to end it in my view. What is the right to life if I can not control my own life. Yes your actions do affect your family and friends, but in truth so does every other thing you do in life. Those family and friends simply have to understand it is your life, as it would be if you did any other act they disapproved of. Say smoking, being gay, getting married to someone they dislike, need I go on?

As to six why do you have to understand every aspect of an action you take? You do not do that normally. Most of us, me included have a half assed idea of what we are doing and no idea of how it will affect others in the future. Yet we keep going and making decisions. Will we be wrong , oh yes, more times than I like to admit, but I still had the right to make those decisions.

Kersten I think sometimes you have a need to kitpick. You really don’t understand the meaning of #7? How about this, human empathy. Have empathy and consideration of others, so they will have the same for you.

I agree on your last. Four years ago James posted these on our fridge.

https://thesatanictemple.com/pages/tenets They look better on the site

THERE ARE SEVEN FUNDAMENTAL TENETS.

One should strive to act with compassion and empathy toward all creatures in accordance with reason.

The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.

One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.

The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo one’s own.

Beliefs should conform to one’s best scientific understanding of the world. One should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit one’s beliefs.

People are fallible. If one makes a mistake, one should do one’s best to rectify it and resolve any harm that might have been caused.

Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word.

I thought they were very good. But no one has to follow them, just as no one has to follow these. However in the world we live in where seemingly every group is putting out their view of guidelines to live according to, these were pretty good. IMO. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 3, 2018 @ 15:24

• I confess to the fault of knit picking my only defense is at least I do my best to examine what I read carefully. Regarding your right to your own body we must disagree , it is the very reason the government limits our activities not just with others but to ourselves. They seek to protect our health and well-being , for example by trying to prevent us taking hard drugs. Having scientifically proved smoking is dangerous they seek to discourage it.
        My old father who died due to emphysema and smoking , sought to stop me making the same mistake , he failed but I believe his action was right. By controlling your own life you may also be doing harm , we may need to consider changing our activities for the common good.
        ‘ No man is an island ‘

Comment by kersten — November 3, 2018 @ 16:01

• Kersten, sadly the government restricts what we can do with our bodies is mostly due to the bribes given to government officials by different companies interest. Look at the US, booze is promoted yet weed is a schedule 4 drug? The government at least in the US doesn’t have any concern with you or your life, they care about the mass groups of voters and the money interests. If they cared about your life they would have programs to insure everyone ate, everyone had shelter, everyone had healthy care. They don’t do that. Do you know why suicide is now illegal in the USA, because of the religions. They hate that loss of a potential donor. When I was a kid they first started saying smoking was bad for you, yet they still promoted smokeless tobacco. Why? Because the majority of southern states had people who used it, and grew it.

We may do harm? The right to do harm to ourselves is a right. I have the right to pierce any part of my body I want, I have the right to have any markings I want, I have the right to change any part of my body I want, yet I do not have the right to end my life???? The idea of doing harm to others goes against their rights. I can not force you to smoke, but you sure can not forbid me to do so. I can not take your life, but you must have the right to do so if we are to be free. To prevent that is to give someone or some entity rights over your very existence.

No man is an island , yet no man is a slave? Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 3, 2018 @ 16:26

• I think we have to admit that we do live in caring societies but they fall far short of what they should be. Did those things you listed exist when Mr Obama or other presidents were in control? I expect if I were American I would vote for Bernie Saunders and in the UK I will vote for Jeremy Corbyn. Mr Modi has just launched a heath service in India to cover 500 million poor people , I may even excuse him for being a Hindu.

Comment by kersten — November 4, 2018 @ 10:21

• Di those things exist during Obama’s presidency? Well he fought for healthcare and got it passed, the republicans have been trying to destroy it ever since. The facts are that democrats as a party are more supportive of those things I mentioned, while republicans tend to slash funding of them. But the government as a whole doesn’t look at the individual. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 4, 2018 @ 10:28

• The Republican’s also promised a replacement health care plan, one that is better… I wonder if that was just a campaign slogan because I have heard no news of a better plan in the works, lol. Bigly and better? 🙂

Comment by David K — November 4, 2018 @ 10:37

• Very true. They control all branches of government yet nothing they have promised has been passed other than the tax cut for poor billionaires. tRump is complaining at his rallies that the democrats won’t help them pass an immigration policy, says the democrats have not passed a bill to close the borders, yet the republicans hold all the power. If they wanted those things they could have them. Yet his supporters will believe him without thinking about it. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 4, 2018 @ 11:06

4. eights commandment, especially for all christians around trump and him the liar himself:

“Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour”
    – and it doesn’t say, what color the neigbour is.

So it doesn’t ned any special 20 commandments for for the trums Sheep.
    The one the 8th on Moses panels would do to make trump loose the midterms completely.

Comment by miles — November 3, 2018 @ 14:20

• I am afraid they can not see the real world around them. I just watched a video on TYT Network that interviewed tRump supporters and they flatly denied reality. There was nothing the interviewer could do to break through their disbelief. At this point Miles I am at a loss. How do you reach people that when you show them facts they simply say it is fake news and a lie? It is really scary here right now. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 3, 2018 @ 15:32

5. Change “commandments” to “suggestions” & it would be much better. Some of us just don’t like taking orders, as reasonable as they may be.

Comment by silverapplequeen — November 4, 2018 @ 04:58

• I agree. However as I took it directly from a website and gave them credit I did not feel I should adjust it. I think it was meant as a slap at the 10 commandments christians push. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 4, 2018 @ 05:02

6. Hey another thing that just came to me … if atheists do not recognize any deity, then WHO is making these commandments? & just WHY should I obey this person? Just what kind of authority does this person have over me that I should obey his/her/its/wtf commands?

Again, that’s why it’s better to say “suggestions” instead of “commands”. I spent a lot of time in the rooms of AA, I can tell you that words like that work much better with most people who have issues with GOD or with being told what to do.

Comment by silverapplequeen — November 4, 2018 @ 05:05

7. These are the nine touchstones of Goddess Spirituality by Carol P. Christ.
    Nurture life.

Walk in love and beauty.

Trust the knowledge that comes through the body.

Speak the truth about conflict, pain, and suffering.

Take only what you need.

Think about the consequences of your actions for seven generations.

Approach the taking of life with great restraint.

Practice great generosity.

Repair the web.

you can find the link to her page here: http://witchesandpagans.com/sagewoman-blogs/cretan-musings/nine-touchstones-of-goddess-spirituality-by-carol-p-christ-1.html

Comment by silverapplequeen — November 4, 2018 @ 05:07

• I can certainly go along with some of these suggested guides to behaviour . Number one is poetical and poetry often lifts us above time and place , it is transforming. Number two could be dangerous because it is subjective according to who’s body ? Number three is something we should all be doing . Number four is a tough nut because we have to decide just what we do need and in western democracies the list is very long. Number five cross out the last three words . Number six this one worries me a bit I need time to chew it over and even then it’s not easy.
      Number seven and eight they go with out debate.

Comment by kersten — November 4, 2018 @ 05:38

• The great thing is we are all welcome to our opinions, unlike most religions. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 4, 2018 @ 07:46

• Normally we need some evidence for our opinions or they become purely subjective . I might declare Mr Trump is a liar but I should back this up with examples. Politics is largely subjective opinion , even the same political facts can be viewed differently , that is why we must try to view things from the point of view of others. The famous saying ‘ walking in someone else’s shoes ‘ is important and something that Mr Trump finds difficult . He jokingly said he likes the look of barbed wire because when used properly it keeps migrants out. He cannot imagine being a migrant looking in with hope.

Comment by kersten — November 4, 2018 @ 10:06

• Morning Kersten. I think opinions on intangibles do not need evidence. Other opinions I feel should be able to be backed by facts. For example “I think Jets is the best pizza” needs no evidence because it is a personal taste. However saying the moon is made of cheese does need to be backed by facts. IMO I think we can use or have evidence in political matters. Without using facts or evidence you have tRump and his cult out there just making crap up. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 4, 2018 @ 10:15

• Very nice. I am not sure I would trust what my body is telling me 😄😃. Thanks for sending these. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 4, 2018 @ 08:26

8. Love #10 it is the Lakota way. Leave no trace you were ever there. Give back to nature the live that she gives to you.

Comment by Michelle Styles — November 6, 2018 @ 16:27

• Hello Michelle. I hope your competition went your way. I think there are many good guides for how one lives their life, but the important thing for living one’s life is to not marginalized or negatively affect others. I don’t always manage to be a positive in life, but I do work hard not to be a negative in life that harms others. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 6, 2018 @ 16:41

9. These were the real ten commandments. Moses was a false prophet.

Comment by WildOliveGentile — November 14, 2018 @ 11:56