November 6, 2018

Bored

Filed under: News — Scottie @ 11:26

Been sitting in the Toyota dealership while they work on my van. The air bag light came on and the electronics for the A/C flicker on and then go out. The A/C works, but you get no read out on temp and no idea what settings are on or not. But I got here early this morning and no word yet. Hugs

1. You should pick up an OBD2 reader, it can tell you a lot about what’s going on when you have problems. Won’t necessarily help you fix it, but it can often take some mystery away and help you verify what the service personnel tell you.

Comment by Jeff — November 6, 2018 @ 11:31

• I went to check the fuses and they have them in almost impossible places to get to. On is behind the glove box, you have to take the box out to get to it, the others are under the hood and up under the dash , that last one you have to take a panel off the lower dash. I can not do it anymore. Oh well, thankfully I have my Pad and the internet. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 6, 2018 @ 11:34

2. Can’t fix cars with a spanner a screwdriver and a can of oil any more!

Comment by Arkenaten — November 6, 2018 @ 11:33

• I think the van is acting up because we use the new car mostly now and the van is used only when we need paneling or other large stuff from the home improvement stores. πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜€πŸ™€ Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 6, 2018 @ 11:37

3. I’d rather file my skin with a cheese grader than sit at a dealership.

Comment by jim- — November 6, 2018 @ 11:59

• I think I agree. Just got home 1:00 ( 1300 ) and the van is not fixed. They wanted $2155.00 to fix it. They say a sensor under the right seat is tied into two circuit boards as is the lights and numbers on the A/C system. They would have to replace both boards plus labor. The van is a 2007 with 158,000 miles on it. We only drive it when we get lumber or other large objects. The A/C is working so I told ron drive it for now when we need to, and if it quits we get rid of it. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 6, 2018 @ 13:07

• Gee thats an expensive fix!

Comment by TheCovertAtheist — November 6, 2018 @ 13:28

• Too much for us right now. I hate what the economy is doing right now. Prices are soaring and wages are stagnant or declining. So much for winning. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 6, 2018 @ 13:30

• I think most of us “cringe” when something breaks down (cars, appliances, RVs, etc.) because we know the repair costs are going to be OUTRAGEOUS!! And the option of replacing them with something new just means MORE money out of our limited funds. Unfortunately, there are times when we simply have no other option but to pay through the nose. In your particular case, it’s good that you can get by with the van “as is” — at least for awhile anyway.

Comment by Nan — November 6, 2018 @ 13:30

• Yes that is the silver lining. About three years ago one side of the van’s A/C stopped cooling. The dealership wanted 6 grand to fix a “line leak” and the low pressure line. That was all the van was worth. A local A/C repair person showed Ron how to charge the system. Ron bought a canister of the refrigerant. We have done it three times and we are still on the original first bought canister. Ron is going to look around he says to see if another place is cheaper, but still if the prices is due to parts, then it won’t be much if any cheaper. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 6, 2018 @ 13:40

• I drove my car until 1992, It was the last Ford FIESTA Model, that could be repaired with two hands and the right tools. I was proud that I coul do that.
            After that I stopped buying cars, cause the Producers around the world started to build their cars for the repairshops and not for the car-owners.
            since that time I drive by local privat transport. And believe me or not, I don’t miss my cars.

Comment by miles — November 6, 2018 @ 14:51

• When I was in Germany I was stunned by the efficacy and frequency of mass transit. You could get anywhere I wanted to go. I loved them. I could use a bus or a trolley, or a subway, or for longer trips the trains. Hre in the states we have very poor mass transit, and most places are not near a bus stop. Florida was going to build a high speed rail between the biggest cities but Jeb Bush managed to get a repeal of it put on the ballot. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 6, 2018 @ 14:57

4. That is a discouraging day. I voted today but feel discouraged and I’m almost afraid to watch TV later. I visited Germany once and also Amsterdam. What a marvel of efficiently run mass transit, sane politics, sane religious views, sane healthcare and sane education.
    We are being left behind and it will continue and all because of corruption and ignorant people. It saddens me so.

Comment by maryplumbago — November 6, 2018 @ 15:48

• Mary I hope to be pleasently surprised tonight when the results come in. It wont be the end of the fight if we win, and if we lose the underground resistance will begin. I have been coached by several people here online to keep a positive outlook. I look at the maps and the numbers, it is so rigged against the democrats everywhere. In some places they need to win by an almost overwhelming amount simply to take a seat. In places like Georgia the amount of votes thrown out and the amount of people being denied the right to vote will be larger than the margins of victory. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 6, 2018 @ 15:52