November 21, 2018

A song that has haunted me since I first heard it. Maybe due to my time in the navy. Hugs

Filed under: Music and Videos, Music Video, Songs and Music — Scottie @ 15:02

“The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald” – Gordon Lightfoot (HD w/ Lyrics)

1. Scottie, I got to hear him in concert in 1972 or 1973 (can’t remember which year). Then again in 2010. He sang it both times. A great Canadian! 🙂

Comment by carmen — November 21, 2018 @ 15:34

• Yes, thank you Carmen. I have never been to a concert in my life. I think I have missed out on something grand. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 21, 2018 @ 15:36

• I was 15 years old the first time I saw him, Scottie. The second time, I was in my fifties. I’ll tell you, the crowd was of a decidedly different demographic. :). The tickets were expensive and he only sang for 2 hours. He was losing his voice on the high notes at that. But it was still Gordon Lightfoot! 🙂 I don’t know if you know much about him, but he’s one of the Canadian greats who didn’t ‘sell out’ to America. He’s stayed (for the most part) here and also helped/encouraged other Canadian singers. He’s well-loved.

Comment by carmen — November 21, 2018 @ 15:40

• I love his songs and I have several of his albums in my Itunes account. His rainy day people got me over a few hard spots in life. I often just sit and listen to his music and wonder how he captured my feelings. You can be proud of him, he is a national treasure. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 21, 2018 @ 15:50

• Do you have a favorite of his songs? Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 21, 2018 @ 15:37

2. I like all his songs.

Comment by carmen — November 21, 2018 @ 15:42

• I can understand why. He can put such feelings into his music. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 21, 2018 @ 15:52

3. Fantastic song choice Scottie.
    Hugs

Comment by davidprosser — November 21, 2018 @ 16:19

4. I remember Gordon Lightfoot! Thank you. 🙂

Comment by acflory — November 21, 2018 @ 17:48

• Loves and hugs. Hey do you have ITunes?

Comment by Scottie — November 21, 2018 @ 17:54

• No, I uninstalled it. Why?

Comment by acflory — November 21, 2018 @ 18:14

• Just wondered. We use it because we can get our music on any device and we have so many of them it made listening to stuff easier. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 22, 2018 @ 08:22

• I mostly listen in the car and at my computer. For the car I need a CD [very old system]. For the computer I use an old version of Winamp, or stream via Soundcloud. 🙂

Comment by acflory — November 22, 2018 @ 19:12

• Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 21, 2018 @ 17:54

5. A few years ago the Fitzgerald was finally found at the bottom of Lake Superior. The families of the crew were taken out to a spot above the wreck for a funeral of sorts. And Gordon was there to sing the song.

His music has always touched me. I think Carefree Highway is my favorite song of all time. I have been a fan since high school, when dinosaurs roamed the Earth. I’ve seen him in concert probably 20 times and actually got to meet him a couple of times. My friend and I went to Toronto one year for his annual three night shows at Massey Hall.

Comment by SAR — November 22, 2018 @ 12:37

• Grand.and welcome. I think it grand he would sing at the memorial. Carefree Highway is a grand song. Thanks for sharing. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 22, 2018 @ 12:54

6. That song is an absolute classic. Gordon Lightfoot has a helluva voice. Great song for the ages.

Comment by shelldigger — November 24, 2018 @ 16:18

• Yes, I guess I am stuck in an older time but I can not find modern music like this. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 24, 2018 @ 16:29

• Haha! There is no modern music like this, you can stop looking. You and I grew up in the era of great music. What it has become now is something other than music IMO.

Of course every old fart in history has quite likely said the same, but from the late 60’s to the early 80’s was a time for music that I fear will never be seen again.

Comment by shelldigger — November 24, 2018 @ 16:34