November 22, 2018

A meatless thanksgiving dinner.

Filed under: Food, Love, Magic, My Life and Rants, Things I like — Scottie @ 11:43

Trying something new this Thanksgiving.   Ron was to work last night but got called off.  So we had not prepared anything for a meal today as I would be up alone while he slept.  Now we had to figure out what to do.  On years where he did not work we would make a reservation at a local restaurant we preferred.

This thanksgiving we are doing something we have not done before.  Ron and I are trying to cut down on the amount of meat we eat.   So I am making a tomato sauce with out hamburger or sausage.   Instead I used beef bouillon to give a deeper taste.  I like my sauce to be really tomato tasting.   Here is what I did.

I took three cans of Dei Fratelli which I think is the most tomato tasting sauce I have tasted and put them in a large pot.   Then I took a container of mixed peppers and added them.  I also added a whole container of diced celery.    I added a quarter container of yellow onion.  ( I do not like onion really so I only add enough to give a flavor with out being overwhelming which I think onion can be.  All measurements are subjective to your taste.)  To this I added the two beef Bouillon, and two regular small spoonful of minced garlic.  Then the following spices measured roughly by pouring then into my hand.  Oregano but not a heaping palm full as it can turn biter if not balanced.  Sweet Basil a full palm full.  You don’t need to worry about sweet Basil because if you add a bit too much it will only make it a sweeter greener sauce.  I add rubbed sage for taste and also Thyme.  Most people never think to add that but it really does make a difference.   Then I heat the sauce and when simmering I add two different types of mushrooms.  I use a basic white mushroom sliced as they take the flavor well, and a small whole mushroom as it gives a texture.  Then add a bit of salt, simmer and then just before you start the water for pasta taste the sauce.   This time I added a touch more minced garlic and a half palm full of sweet basil.

Ron put garlic toast in the oven and I am heating the water for the pasta.  Use what ever pasta you prefer.   Today we are going with Angle hair as I forgot to get regular spaghetti pasta.  I hope you enjoy your meal as much as we are going to ours.

Best wishes and loves to all.  Hugs

1. Happy Thanksgiving Guys,
    Hugs

Comment by davidprosser — November 22, 2018 @ 12:04

2. Have a great Turkey Genocide Day!

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — November 22, 2018 @ 12:36

• Thank you dude, You also! This year the turkeys were spared, but the mushrooms and other veggies got wiped out. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 22, 2018 @ 12:52

3. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, my brother. Not what I think on for the holiday meal, but sounds really good. Would you believe I even bought turkey dog food for Gracie? Seemed only fair!

Hugs
    Randy

Comment by randy — November 22, 2018 @ 12:46

• When Ron and I had the greyhound Ginger she knew at meal time she was not allowed in the eating area. But she also knew after we were done she would get a plate of left overs. She never begged, just sat waiting.

The night before she died was thanksgiving. Ron fixed her a big plate of turkey , stuffing, potatoes , gravy and all the things a dog would love. The next morning at about 7 AM she had a heart attack and died in my arms. The vet said there was nothing we could have done, that greyhounds often have heart attacks and even had the dog been in the vets office she would have most likely died.

The thing we treasured was the knowledge she had a great Thanksgiving supper.

Best wishes to you and Gracie, and your folks. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 22, 2018 @ 13:02

• I do dare asking , Scottie: what did you have for Milo the Big and Otis the Little on Thanksgiving???? And you, Scottie and Ron, how was your Thanksgiving. Nice as mine with a cold after influenca vaccination and a big sneeze and cough?

Comment by miles — November 22, 2018 @ 15:55

• I regret you are not feeling well Miles. As I posted I made a grand tomato sauce and pasta for Ron and I. Our first meatless thanksgiving. As for our little Milo and our large Odis, they have had treaties all day, Milo is on my desk right now chowing down. Also they have two bowls, one in our bedroom and one in my office, which we keep filled with food. They are entitled to eat as much as the want and when they want. Please take care of your self my good friend, I value you. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 22, 2018 @ 16:18

4. Angel hair is my favorite … it cooks the fastest. Happy Thankgiving!

Comment by silverapplequeen — November 23, 2018 @ 00:13

5. Good for you.At least one turkey was spared.

Comment by Arkenaten — November 23, 2018 @ 16:34

• Hello Ark. I learned this week that the turkeys we eat today do not have a natural life span. The life span is greatly shortened due to their size. So spared turkeys do not live much longer in their freedom. Seems wrong to do that to any animal. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 23, 2018 @ 16:40

• Well, you know ,me … wouldn’t eat ’em no matter.
        While you’re here …
        I was just researching the history of thanksgiving and read on Wiki there is also a certain amount of controversy over the holiday because of its original impact on Native Americans and the genocides that followed.
        What’s your take?

Comment by Arkenaten — November 23, 2018 @ 16:46

• I think the arrival of the white people from over the seas was a bad negative for the Native People. Everything from unknown diseases, greed, different cultures and expectations all caused horrible treatment and atrocities to the Natives. It did not happen right away, but over time it was an invasion and genocide.

It was not the fault of the holiday though. It was not like what Columbus and his men did. So while a lot of people my self included do not think there should be a Columbus holiday, I think Thanksgiving is OK. After all the Natives did help the new settlers survive. and that is what the holiday is about. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 23, 2018 @ 17:10

• The first Thanksgiving was actually celebrated by Julius Caesar upon completing his devastating conquest of Gaul. Here’s what Caesar said that day: “Welp, I’ve killed about a million Gauls, enslaved almost that number, raped every Gaul women I could grab onto, and now, Gaul is mine! Let’s friggin’ give thanks by killing and eating some turkeys!” And ever since that day, genocidal takeovers of a country by outside forces are celebrated, by those forces, by giving thanks to some made up gods and then eating turkey.

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — November 23, 2018 @ 17:16

• Caesar was Roman correct? So it wouldn’t have been just the Gaul women he raped, but guys, sheep, goats, small bulls…just saying. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 23, 2018 @ 17:24

• Seems Ron and I are getting there. We have cut a lot of meat out of our meals simply by not having meat. Like everything it will be a learning curve for us. I have to learn to eat more veggies like Ron does. I am in favor of double mushroom pizzas, but Ron says I can not order them every day. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 23, 2018 @ 17:31

• “We have cut a lot of meat out of our meals simply by not having meat.” That’s what she said.

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — November 23, 2018 @ 17:32

• 😺😸😂😁 You know what is pushing us that way Jeff. We don’t think the meat is as clean and good as it was. We had a breaded chicken patties the other day , and they had bits in them that we found we couldn’t chew. The hamburg we were getting , every now and again we would find something hard in it. Simply put meat was getting really expensive and not as good. The benefit to the environment and to the animals themselves by not eating meat is a grand also. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 23, 2018 @ 17:43

6. […] Angela Grant 2. Keiko 3. Scottie 4. Scott 5. Moyatori 6. Raistlin 7. Madekesiworld 8. Simoneteffect 9. Irina 10. Sawa […]

Pingback by Blogging Chums Award! | Ospreyshire's Realm — November 27, 2018 @ 08:36