November 24, 2018

I see the problem… religion

Filed under: Atheism, Cartoons, Memes, News, Questions, Religion — Scottie @ 12:31

1. Suppose the Atheist pig is working in Saudi Arabia because he can earn big money , could he not make the same argument that he is not bound by the beliefs of others? In my opinion we are bound by the laws of the country we occupy regardless of our own personal beliefs.
    This is surely the only way to make any sense of multicultural societies. Religion must always come second to the law of the land.

Comment by kersten — November 24, 2018 @ 14:45

• Kersten sometimes you take things to an extreme not called for. The pig is used as foil for the unreasonable religious stances. He is used to point out the way some religious people act. The cartoon was about religions want to force you / everyone to follow the doctrines of their faith, regardless of where they are. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 24, 2018 @ 15:09

2. One could argue that a person is bound to obey the civil law in the country where he is at the moment, but that’s not the issue raised by this cartoon. The background doesn’t look like an Islamic country. The Muslim character doesn’t mention alcohol being forbidden by local civil laws, only by the taboos of his religion. He is arrogantly insisting that the taboos of his religion must be obeyed by everyone, Muslim or not, no matter where in the world they are.

Comment by Infidel753 — November 24, 2018 @ 21:15

• Yes! That is the way I took the cartoon. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 25, 2018 @ 06:21

3. I live in a neighborhood with LOTS of Muslims & not one of them would ever tell anyone not to drink. They operate most of the small stores & some of them sell beer & some don’t. If you ask them if they sell beer, they just say, no we don’t, they don’t say it’s against their religion. They just say no we don’t, like they would if you asked they if they sell anything else they don’t happen to have.

Telling people what they can & cannot do is not how Muslims operate.

The store I shop at most often is a small grocery store operated by Muslims. It does not sell beer but it does sell pork. I bought an awesome ham there just last week. To imply that Muslims refuse to sell this or that or allow anyone to use things because it’s “forbidden by their religion” is a FUCKING MYTH.

THIS IS ACTUALLY HOW CHRISTIANS OPERATE. TELLING OTHER PEOPLE HOW TO ACT.

Comment by silverapplequeen — November 25, 2018 @ 05:30

• Hello SilverappleQueen. We do not have a large population of Muslims in our area I don’t think, there are none in my neighborhood. However do also have several liquor stores that seem run by Muslims.

You should talk to Manahil. She is a 15 year old Muslim girl in Pakistan and she belongs to a very mild modern Islamic faith. She and I agree there are much more militant Muslims in society in both her country and others.

I agree with you that fundamentalist Christians do act this way. But I would say that so do fundamentalist Muslims in other countries. There are Islamic countries that seriously enforce the no alcohol rule. In our country I have only met nice Muslims who only want to live their lives in peace and provide for themselves and families. However I have seen YouTube videos of Muslims in England calling for people to live according to their beliefs. I also watched a video where Aron Ra visited an Islamic country. He was invited and was staying with people . They took him to a nice restaurant. He asked a innocent question, I forget what it was. The hosts imminently hustled him out of the restaurant and took off for where they lived. Turned out his question could have gotten them all beaten and him killed. That is big time intolerance.

So yes in many places the cartoon is wrong. I admit that. But also in many places it is correct. I guess it is on how extreme or fundamental a person is in their religion.

Thank you for sticking up for the good Muslims in your area. Too many times we forget they are individual people and not everyone is the same. In our country you are correct it it the Christians trying to change the country into a theocracy and make LGBTQ people like my self into second class citizens forced to live by their rules. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 25, 2018 @ 07:13