November 25, 2018

In my own community

Filed under: Economics, Facts, Health, My Life and Rants, News, Political, Questions, Reason, Science — Scottie @ 17:55

I want to add I know people in my own community that have died from not being able to afford the healthcare they needed.  I want you to know it is one major illness for most of us to drive us into bankruptcy.  I had to wait three years for my left hip replacement, long after the hip joint was gone, relying increasing on stronger morphine to help with the pain.  I lost the ability to walk and was wheel chair bound.   Why in the worlds wealthiest land was this so???  Because I couldn’t afford the co-pay for the surgery.   If I had been in Canada or England or any civilized country in six months I would have had the surgery and not suffered as much nor had as much cost.  So don’t tell me how great our health care is and how bad theirs is.  I will take universal healthcare any day over the suffering I went through.  Hugs

1. Amen to that. When I got sick in Trinidad as a toddler, I was taken to the ER and I was taken care of. For free. Trinidad offers better health care than here, for goodness sakes (at least for what I dealt with).

Comment by Brendan Birth — November 25, 2018 @ 18:06

• Thank you. The people in the US have been sold a lie that healthcare in other countries is so horrible. Yet data shows we are the ones far behind. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 25, 2018 @ 18:12

2. One of my very best friends died two years ago of lung cancer. He was a life-long bartender & had never had health insurance until the ACA was passed & he had to buy it, which is when he went to the doctor & they found the cancer. I am sure he knew he was sick. He had quit smoking 10 years previously but he was a diabetic & he knew he was a diabetic. Even with the ACA, he couldn’t afford much treatment & he died within two years. Another one of my bartender friends, another smoker, got throat cancer. She too, didn’t have health insurance … this was long before the ACA. We had a big party for her to raise money for her treatment. She died … gee, it’s been 10 years now.

I know several other people who have had numerous cancers & other sicknesses but because they always had health insurance & money, they are still alive.

I’ve had cancer 3 times myself & I’m not rich but I have Medicare & Medicaid. Everyone should have this coverage. The only complaint I have is the lack of dental.

Comment by silverapplequeen — November 25, 2018 @ 22:32

• I am sorry for your loss. I hope you continue to stay well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 26, 2018 @ 05:28

3. There is absolutely no doubt universal health care is the answer to the problem in countries that can afford it such as western democracies
    Even in the huge nation of India Mr Modi is launching such a scheme to help the poor.

Comment by kersten — November 26, 2018 @ 04:20

• Most countries can afford it , but it has to be a priority. A conservative foundation run by the Koch brothers released a study saying over ten universal health care will cost 32 billion. But they also say that the healthcare we have today taken out over those same ten years will cost between 34 to 36 Billion. So universal healthcare will cost less than the system we have now, and be better for people. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 26, 2018 @ 05:35