November 27, 2018

Home from allergist / Health update

Filed under: Health, My Life and Rants, News — Scottie @ 15:07

OK I had the testing, then some more testing.  The tests in my right arm really swelled, then the ones in both shoulders all six of them swelled like I had been whipped.  I will need shots again.  This is my third time.  Same old stuff plus some new ones.   I tested high positive to both cats and dogs.  ( I told them Milo and Odis are not moving, Ron we could negotiate.  Turned out I am not allergic to him.  )   Anything green and growing such as a dozen different grasses.   A few other things I reacted really badly too.

Seems some people can get shots for allergies, get to a maintenance doze and then are fine for ever more.   I am about to start my third time getting shots.  Seems I get to a maintenance state , stop shots , and my immunity decreases until I start  getting the shots.   Once I get to a monthly maintenance dose I will either have to keep getting them, or I will have to do this same thing of stopping the shots, and getting slowly sicker until I go back and start all over.   So starting in two weeks ( they have to order the two serums I will need, ) I will start again on weekly shots.  Add to that I have trigger points in my back muscles ever two months.  Then when needed  I will have shots in my spine to try to keep the effects of the spine / nerve damage down.  I mentioned this because when the nurse came to give me my test shots today in my shoulders she was going over everything as if I had never had the shots.  I reassured her I was OK with shots and told her what I get.  She was impressed.

OK so that is a health up date.  I told them my body model was made on a Friday after a Thursday payday.  I should be upset, one more health issue to deal with.   Truth is I will soon feel better and I have insurance to help pay for it.   I have the free time to go get shots and a vehicle to get there.  This time I can drive my self, before Ron use to have to take me each week.   Loves to all.  Hugs

1. “I tested high positive to both cats and dogs.” –Somehow I think you knew this even before testing … and I HIGHLY doubt your “living arrangements” are going to change. There are just some things we’re willing to suffer for, right? 😉

All I can say is be thankful you can get shots. My other-half has asthma and if he even gets around cat dander (let alone the cat itself), his chest immediately tightens up. When we were house-shopping, we went into a couple of them where the owners had cats and he “felt” it within a matter of seconds and had to immediately go outside. Needless to say, those particular homes were crossed off our list.

Comment by Nan — November 27, 2018 @ 15:44

• I am sorry about your other half’s allergies to pets. Funny thing is , in WBP I did react to pets, but looking at the results they gave me today, in 2010 when I had these same tests here in NFM, I did not react to cats or dogs. I had already told the nurse I was not going to get rid of my cats, you are correct on that, but she laughed and said everyone who has pets says the same thing. She also confirmed what I had heard. Normally most people who have the same pet over time develop an immunity to it. I seem to be the other way. I was not allergic to cats in 2010 but now I very much am. As one of my cats sleeps on my pillow and against my head at night it explains why I get so choked up at night. The good news is I wont have to get rid of mine ( was not going to anyway ) the shots will help my body create the immunity I need to live with them. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 27, 2018 @ 18:47

• So this means when we get together Ron and I will have to make sure our clothes are freshly washed and we are completely showered to be free from the cats dander. We can do that. Thanks for the heads up. See you soon. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 27, 2018 @ 18:48

2. I’ve an allergy to cats, too, but the thought of getting rid of the two I owned never entered my mind. It really only bothered me if they scratched me or I rubbed my eyes after holding them. They both died a few years ago from old age, and I do breath a lot better, but I still miss them and would take them back in in a heartbeat should they ever do the Jesus thing and resurrect.

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — November 27, 2018 @ 16:08

• I understand Jeff, I really do. I would have suffered on even if they said the shots wouldn’t have helped. They become family don’t they, these little ones. I wonder if they know how much they mean to us? I have to laugh that when it is all four of us in bed at night Ron and I automatically make room for them. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 27, 2018 @ 19:00

• Oh I forgot to tell you something funny. Our large 26 pound cat is becoming very huggy. At night he comes between Ron and I and meows. Ron is not use to sleeping nights so he pets Odis. Odis started getting his front half up on Ron’s lower belly. Now when Odis comes between us and meows if Ron doesn’t respond ( sometimes sleeping ) Odis heaves up and slams his full 26 pounds down on Ron for attention. Trust me he gets it. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 27, 2018 @ 19:05

3. When health issues arise, it helps to focus on the up side. We have near immediate access to healthcare, if we are fortunate enough to have insurance. Most of the people on this planet cannot count on healthcare even for cancer or a horrible injury. We get first world care for everything.

I have leukemia and I feel so fortunate to be in the U.S. with decent insurance. Now we need to extend that to everyone.

BTW, pretty sure I’m allergic to cats too. Congestion, sore eyes, etc, all the time. And my 6 cats are not going anywhere. You suffer for the furry people you love! LOL

Hope you get some relief with medication.

Comment by SAR — November 27, 2018 @ 19:09

• Hello SAR. I agree with you entirely. I hope your leukemia goes into remission. I also would never give up my furry friends. I remember the first greyhound we rescued. She could get up in bed with you with out ever waking you. You would wake up nose to nose with a dog sharing your pillow. Our two cats do not even try to be stealthy, they just slam on the bed and walk up our bodies to get where they want to be. You are so correct we are the lucky ones. I have known people with out insurance who have had no choice but pass away. Stay strong and my best wishes. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 27, 2018 @ 19:17