December 3, 2018

The Washington Post: ‘I’m here to kill a Mexican,’ a Utah man allegedly said before a brutal attack. He’s not being charged with a hate crime.

Filed under: News — Scottie @ 09:40

‘I’m here to kill a Mexican,’ a Utah man allegedly said before a brutal attack. He’s not being charged with a hate crime.
The Washington Post

The alleged assault has brought renewed attention to an aspect of the state’s penal code that has frustrated prosecutors for years. Read the full story

Shared from Apple News

Sent from my iPad,Hugs and Best wishes,
Scottie

1. If this is only a misdemeanor offense – speaking of a nearly killing of a man – than the prosecutors in SLC must blind on nearly both their eyes.
    In a comment on Shame, shame .. I told you already , what in my opinion, stupid trump has a say in such cases of hate-crime.

Comment by miles — December 3, 2018 @ 10:54

• Yes, I think the severity of the beating should be considered. But what I think you missed was that per their laws, only misdemeanors are allowed to be charged as hate crimes. That is why they are charging the attacker with a stricter violation and not including the hate charge. If they did that then it would go from the higher felony to the lower misdemeanor. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 3, 2018 @ 13:31

2. How the fuck is this NOT a hate crime? Un-fucking-believable!

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — December 3, 2018 @ 12:28

• Because the bigots managed to make sure all hate crime penalties have to equal misdemeanors. Which would mean a person sentence under that law would get almost no punishment. The penalty he will receive under the charges is a felony so much longer, but they can not use the hate crimes law or he gets less penalty. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 3, 2018 @ 14:05

• As I replied to Jeff if they charge him with a hate crime that only makes a misdemeanor. Because the bigots managed to make sure all hate crime penalties have to equal misdemeanors. Which would mean a person sentence under that law would get almost no punishment. The penalty he will receive under the charges is a felony so much longer, but they can not use the hate crimes law or he gets less penalty. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 3, 2018 @ 14:06

3. Hold up! This demon said he was there to specifically kill someone of a certain ethnic group and ISN’T charged with a hate crime? The insanity is unbelievable and whoever’s in charge of that case to not charge him should be voted out in that area.

Comment by ospreyshire — December 3, 2018 @ 12:55

4. Truly a disgusting individual. /smdh

hugs!

Comment by Michelle Styles — December 3, 2018 @ 13:36

• There are times I wish I was not so old and were there. I was trained to take on a person with a bar or bat. You are correct this person is despicable. I did notice on thing that bothered me. He has a long arrest history that seems to show mental illness. I also have to blame the fear mongering from the White House. This administration has made a boogieman out of brown people. Mexicans especially. So we have now seen twice recently where a person has acted to harm tRump’s “enemies”. Makes me sick and it makes me angry and hurt. The kids dying by the buss loads in Yemen so tRump and Kurshner can gain business with the Saudis. Places in our own country where the eater is not fit to drink, no clean water, horrible air , and we are getting rid of food safety requirements at an alarming rate. Ron and I are cutting most meat out of our diets because we don’t think the meat is healthy anymore.

Michelle the world is fighting a non-civil war against to very different ideologies. One is inclusive, one is separatist. This is going to get much worse before we find our way out. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 3, 2018 @ 15:35

5. Utah is very conservative and Mormon, so I don’t imagine they like anyone but themselves and just don’t care one shit about the other. All this hatred and bigotry is going to do the world in!

Comment by maryplumbago — December 3, 2018 @ 16:09

• Yes I agree. We have to go back to being able to disagree with out being disagreeable. What happened to live and let live, or was that always just a slogan? Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 3, 2018 @ 17:10