December 6, 2018

Tacos

Filed under: Food, Health, Ideas, My Life and Rants, Questions — Scottie @ 13:13

Hello everyone.  Today Ron tried to make tacos with something called Jack Fruit.   I did not care for it.  I am trying to figure out how to make tacos with out hamburger.  I am thinking maybe beans and mushrooms or that and add a bit of refried beans.  We have done very well reducing our meat intake.   Ron has a veggie stew all ready to cook.  I just need to find something for those dishes that hamburg has always been the base to.   Ron loves the meatless tomato sauce I have been making.  If you have any ideas or recipes please let me know.   Hugs

1. This is how you make tacos without hamburger. Open a can of black beans. Drain them just a tad. Pour them into a pan. Heat at medium high. Add some chopped onions & green peppers, if desired. Season with garlic powder, black pepper, chili powder & cumin powder & salt to taste.

If you add a little bit of rice to this, it’s a perfect protein. But I love black bean tacos just like this. Eat them ALL THE TIME.

Comment by silverapplequeen — December 6, 2018 @ 15:21

• Thank you. I will show this to Ron and we will give it a try. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 6, 2018 @ 15:48

• An update: I showed your recipe to Ron. He loved it. HE says he loves black beans anyway and they should make a great taco. I hope so. I want to cut a lot of meat out of our diet but I am getting tired of trying different things that simply don’t taste good or correct to me. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 6, 2018 @ 18:16

2. Green or brown lentils are a great ground beef substitute. Cook them in veggie broth. When they’re cooked, saute them in a bit of oil with onion, green pepper, salt, cumin, garlic. Or, after they’re cooked, you can just saute them in a bit of oil with packaged taco seasoning.

I love potato tacos. I dice brown potatoes and saute them with oil, onion, bell pepper, salt, pepper, tiny bit of cumin until they’re soft in the middle, crisp in the outside. Place on soft tortillas, corn or flour. At this point you can either warm in the oven for soft tacos, or fry them. Add grated cheese, chopped onion, salsa, etc.

Comment by SAR — December 7, 2018 @ 00:28

• Thank you, sounds good. We eat a lot of potatoes in different forms. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 7, 2018 @ 06:35

3. Ground beef represents a texture and foundation for taco toppings.Beans are OK, but rice is much more satisfying as a beef substitute. Cook up some rice then toss it in a hot frying pan with a chopped tomato or two, diced onion and whatever you used to season your taco beef with.Make a slaw of grated cabbage dressed with lime juice and a dollop of hot sauce. Layer rice, slaw, salsa, a slice of avocado and whatever you fancy in hard or soft shell and enjoy 🙂

Comment by Notes To Ponder — December 7, 2018 @ 02:52

• Thank you. I will share this with Ron. We will try it. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 7, 2018 @ 06:38

4. I like these
    1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute cabbage, pepper and onion until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar.
    2. Stir in beans, salsa, chilies, garlic, chili powder and cumin; bring to a boil. …
    3. Serve in taco shells.

Also tried tofu tacos. -yuck-

I do like a twist in salsa sometimes and use avacado and kiwi. I’d have to get that recipe for the salsa. But follw steps 1-3 and enjoy about the best meatless taco I’ve had so far. Sarah has a grand recipe someplace.

Hugs

Comment by Michelle Styles — December 7, 2018 @ 09:11

• Thank you Michelle. I have to admit I am use to the way food tasted before. Like today Ron made a great thick stew using vegetables and three kinds of mushrooms. The stew smells great. It is good and thick in brown gravy. Yet the taste is slightly off. I ate some because I love him and know we are trying to do something better for us. But I have a feeling I am about to loss weight. OH well. I will keep trying. We now have four new recipes to try from all of you. We will try them. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 7, 2018 @ 10:55

5. I love jackfruit fresh when it’s really ripe. It tastes like juicy fruit gum. I know that under ripe jackfruit is used as a meat substitute in curries, and that it has a good texture but really isn’t nutritionally a substitute. And I find the fiber content of jackfruit to have the same effect on me as eating too many prunes, so I’d go easy on it.

For meatless tacos, I’d use TVP crumbles. You could use a regular commercial taco seasoning. When I’m making my own tacos, what goes in the mix is Worcestershire sauce, salsa, sriracha, garlic salt, fresh ground pepper, turmeric, lots of cumin, and maybe some MSG. If I’m making burritos, or something where I want the meat to stick together, then I’ll add a spoon or two of refried beans into it.

Comment by Ubi Dubium — December 7, 2018 @ 12:12

• I was wondering about that, if we could use the re-fried beans instead of hamburger. Not sure how it would work. Everybody seems to use either beans or rice or both. Thanks for the suggestion. I am trying hard not to regret deciding to do this. I think I will have to retrain my taste buds. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 7, 2018 @ 12:36

• I’d have a hard time with the texture of refried beans in tacos, at least in crunchy ones. But then I’m just fine with refried beans in burritos, go figure.

Comment by Ubi Dubium — December 7, 2018 @ 13:40

• This is all new to me. I never realized how many of my readers were vegetarians. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 7, 2018 @ 13:41

• Oh, I’m not a vegetarian, but I figure that it won’t hurt me to do a veggie meal once in a while. If everybody ate vegetarian once a week, that would be the equivalent of 1/7th of the population going full veg, as far as sustainability goes.

Comment by Ubi Dubium — December 7, 2018 @ 15:12

• We are doing the slow weaning thing. But it really gets sticky with things like tacos. We already when meat free in tomato sauces. Thanks for the suggestions. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 7, 2018 @ 16:10

• Oh I looked up the Crumbles and it looks like I can buy them off amazon. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 7, 2018 @ 13:42

• I get mine at my local Korean/international supermarket, in the Hispanic section, but I don’t know if your area has that kind of store.

Comment by Ubi Dubium — December 7, 2018 @ 14:16

• We are sort of in the middle of a redneck town next to a much larger metro area. We are the country off of the city sort of thing. Still it is not like the real cities we lived in, such as West Palm Beach. Down on the other end of Fort Myers we now have a Whole foods and they are said to have lots of vegetarian stuff. Mary suggest Aldi and we have one near us that opened up. So we are limited but Ron said next week we will go down to whole foods and see what we can get. People here think being open to knew things means trying a new pizza topping. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 7, 2018 @ 14:43

6. Fiesta Mexican Soft Tacos

1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained rinsed
    1/3 cup Thick ‘N Chunky Salsa
    1 medium green papper, chopped
    1 cup Minute Brown Rice, uncooked
    8 flour tortillas
    1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Mix beans, salsa and green pepper in medium sauce pan. Stir in 1 cup water. Bring to boil on medium-high heat.
    Stir in rice. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover. Cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat, stir. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes.
    Spoon rice mixture evenly onto tortillas, sprinkle with cheese. Fold tortilla in half to serve.

We’re not “veggies,” but we’ve tried and enjoyed these.

Comment by Nan — December 7, 2018 @ 16:21