December 20, 2018

From Miles. Nachricht an meine Enkelkinder [with Closed Captions]

Filed under: Children, Earth News, Education, Facts, Nature, News, Pictures, Reason, Science, Things I like — Scottie @ 12:33

1. Dear grandchildren,
    You have not been born yet, and I do not know if I will ever meet you, so I’ve decided to record this message for you.
    I’m on the International Space Station in the Cupola Observation Module gazing down at your beautiful planet. And although I’ve now almost spent a year of my life in space and looked at Earth every single day, I just can’t get enough of this view. I know it probably sounds strange to you, but at the time the Space Station was built and was up here in orbit, not everyone was able to travel into space and see the Earth from a distance. Before me, only around 500 people had the chance.
    At this very moment, there are 7 billion people living down there on Earth and only three of them live in space. And when I look down at the planet,
    I think I need to apologise to you. Right now, it looks like we – my generation – are not going to leave this planet in its best condition for you. Of course, in retrospect many people will say they weren’t aware of what we were doing. But in reality, we humans know that right now we’re polluting the planet with carbon dioxide, we’re making the climate reach tipping point, we’re clearing forests, we’re polluting the oceans with garbage, we’re consuming the limited resources far too quickly, and we’re waging mostly pointless wars.
    And every one of us has to take a good look at themselves and think about where this is leading. I very much hope for our own sake that we can still get our act together and improve a few things. And I hope that we won’t be remembered by you as the generation who selfishly and ruthlessly destroyed your livelihood. I’m sure you understand these things much better than my generation.

And who knows, maybe we’ll learn something new, such as: taking a step always helps; this fragile spaceship called Earth is much smaller than most people can imagine; how fragile the Earth’s biosphere is and how limited its resources are; that it’s worth getting along with your neighbours; that dreams are more valuable than money and you have to give them a chance; that boys and girls can do things equally well, but that every one of you has one thing that he or she can do much better than all the others; that the simple explanations are often wrong and that one’s own point of view is always incomplete; that the future is more important than the past; that one should never fully grow up; and that opportunities only come along once.
    You have to take a risk for things that are worth it, and any day during which you discovered something new – one where you gazed beyond your horizon – is a good day. I wish I could look into the future through your eyes, into your world and how you see it. Unfortunately, that is not possible and therefore the only thing that remains for me is to try to make your future the best one I can possibly imagine.
    International Space Station – Commander of Expedition 57 – Alexander Gerst – 25 November 2018

Comment by miles — December 20, 2018 @ 12:52

• Thank you Miles. It is beautiful. A thoughtful wonderful thing he did. Thank you for sharing it with us. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 20, 2018 @ 12:57

2. Wow.

Comment by randy — December 20, 2018 @ 14:21

• Randy!! Sorry I didn’t see this before. I am having a very long conversation with Rohit on the idea of energy of life and how the planet was designed for us humans. Feel free to join our conversation and add your thoughts. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 20, 2018 @ 16:02

3. Terrific.

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — December 20, 2018 @ 16:03

• Miles even wrote out the German for us. That was really nice of him. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 20, 2018 @ 16:03

• It was. I’ve meant to ask, did you meet Miles when you were in the service in Germany?

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — December 20, 2018 @ 16:05

• No I missed that , wish I could have. If I had the money I would pay to have him come visit or us to visit him. Miles was the second person I met when I started my blog way back in 2006/7. We both followed a blog by a teen in Amsterdam who blogged about his life and his family. The blog ended suddenly with a few short post about the boy being ill and getting treatment. Now some have said the blog was a hoax. That really is not important. What is important is the blog was a positive place for gay boys and gave hope to thousands of gay teens looking for support. I met several people who started to follow me from seeing my comments to Omar. It is a grand thing about blogging, I have met such wonderful people. Most I can not actually recall the first time we corresponded but it seems they were always a part of my life. It is weird to me how much of my social life is built around these on line friends I have and how much I value them. Friends like you. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 20, 2018 @ 16:20

• Just for your info:

faithriligion.wordpress.com is no longer available.

The authors have deleted this site.

Comment by miles — December 20, 2018 @ 17:08

• I know, first thing I did was check it out. My thought is by the reasoning the person is young and not much exposed to the atheist on the web. The other thing is it could be a troll. But the idea advanced and the question that follow are not really the way a troll would operate. This seems to me a person who has a grand idea and wants to share it in hopes others will accept it. It also seems to me the basic education in science may be lacking.
          However the person has been polite and seems honest and so I will keep dealing with them on that idea. I will watch for deception but I honestly think it simply a lack of education at this point. The person is worth following up with , but I can not do so tonight. I have other things to attend to and I have already spent more time than I should in this chair. I am struggling with the pain and I need to get some relief for my back. I find the amount of time I can spend on line gets shorter every day.
          Best wishes my wonderful friend. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 20, 2018 @ 19:18

• I dont earn these complements:
        🙂 I found the english text on the esa- website — and just copied it. 🙂

Comment by miles — December 20, 2018 @ 17:13

• You still earn the complements, you directed us to this wonderful video. Thank you. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 20, 2018 @ 19:20

4. One thing about A. Gersts msg to his grandchildren is worth noting: He does NOT speak even one word about god to them.

Comment by miles — December 21, 2018 @ 16:01

• Yes, he talked about protecting the environment and the planet and loving each other. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 21, 2018 @ 16:45