December 20, 2018

MAJORITY OF U.S. MUSLIMS NOW SUPPORT GAY MARRIAGE, WHILE WHITE EVANGELICAL CHRISTIANS REMAIN OPPOSED

Filed under: Atheism, Bigotry, Education, Gender, Homosexual, News, Political, Questions, Reason, Religion, Sex — Scottie @ 10:55

including a majority of U.S. Muslims backing same-sex marriage for the first time.

Muslims, by a margin of 51 percent to 34 percent, favor same-sex marriage, compared to just four years ago when a majority, 51 percent, were opposed. There were similar results for black Protestants, with 54 percent opposing gay marriage in PRRI’s 2014 American Values Atlas, compared with 43 percent in the latest findings.

Indeed, opposition to same-sex marriage is now limited almost entirely to white conservative Christians. Fifty-eight percent of white evangelical Christians and 53 percent of Mormons—an overwhelming majority of whom are white—are opposed to allowing gay couples to marry. The group with the most opposition, though, is Jehovah’s Witnesses, a group which is 36 percent white, 32 percent Hispanic and 27 percent black in the U.S. Just 13 percent support the law.

As a whole, 63 percent of Americans now back allowing same-sex couples to marry, up from 52 percent four years ago. All major racial groups now have a majority in favor. Republicans, though, remain opposed, 51 percent to 42 percent.

1. If this isn’t the craziest thing I’ve heard all day, I don’t know what is. Wow. 😳

Comment by Alexis Chateau — December 20, 2018 @ 11:22

• Hello Alexis. It is wonderful news isn’t. I had a Muslim neighbor who was grand in his treatment of Ron and I. He was a good neighbor. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 20, 2018 @ 12:35

• I didn’t know this had personal relevance to you, as well. I’m happy to hear your neighbour received you so well. Why must we make a sport out of hating and hurting each others as humans just because they’re different from us in some way??

Comment by Alexis Chateau — December 20, 2018 @ 12:41

• Well said Alexis, well said. I have told the story of Roosevelt Jones. After I was put in a wheelchair I couldn’t use our back yard anymore because there was a drop of a couple feet from the driveway to the back yard. ONe day I seen Roosevelt out working on his walk way. Soon a cement truck pulled up. I was very surprised when the first two wheelbarrow loads did not go to his walk way but he brought them up my driveway and built a ramp for me to get into my backyard. Now he never asked for anything and when I offered him some money he quietly refused it. The people around us knew I was in a wheelchair, but he was the one who did something about helping. Now the funny thing was after I could go out to the back yard I went almost every afternoon. Roosevelt had a rottweiler. There was a short stone wall between our yard and theirs. When she would see me out she would leap the wall and come give me loves and hugs. Grand dog. When I went in she would jump back over the wall. Well one day we were out in the yard playing and Roosevelt came home early. She spun ran and jumped back into her yard. He came in to the back yard laughing. Turned out he knew she was coming to see me. He was a good man and a grand neighboro. And had a great dog. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 20, 2018 @ 12:50

• He sounds like an excellent neighbour! He reminds me of ours. They only just moved in this year and though we have never had any real social engagement, we think highly of each other, haha. The first time they mowed their lawn, they mowed ours too. We have tried multiple times to repay them. They refuse. One week, however, the dad was working long hours and neither of the lawns were mowed. So, we called the company who used to mow the lawn before they started doing it and paid for both sides to be done. They were so happy when they came home. Yesterday, we went over there with wine and cookies as gifts for the holiday season. Small kindnesses are still very much appreciated in the world. I pity the people who fail to be touched by it.

Comment by Alexis Chateau — December 22, 2018 @ 17:58

2. Also, I’ve been reading up the history of the Crusades, which brings these home even more so for me.

Comment by Alexis Chateau — December 20, 2018 @ 11:23

• The Crusades, wow. Wars of religion in which many people died and it made so little difference or sense. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 20, 2018 @ 12:36

• Indeed. That very same war. I’m writing a book set in the medieval era so I thought I’d get a better feel for the backdrop than just working off what I remember from history classes in school.

Comment by Alexis Chateau — December 22, 2018 @ 07:06

3. There’s something seriously wrong with these so called evangelicals. They are just filled up with hate and arrogance. They are such small petty little people!

Comment by maryplumbago — December 20, 2018 @ 13:41

• I think they also have way too much pride also. But you are correct. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 20, 2018 @ 13:43

4. A year or two ago a gay-oriented mosque opened in Paris. There are true fanatics who are exceptions, but by and large Muslim immigrants in the West are assimilating. Those who claimed that that could never happen underestimated the seductiveness of Western culture. It’s part of why I feel confident that in the long run the Middle East itself will become much more secular and liberal.

The US Evangelicals are proving a tougher nut to crack in terms of assimilation. But the younger ones are often more liberal, and many are abandoning the movement in disgust at their elders’ support for Trump.

Comment by Infidel753 — December 20, 2018 @ 20:23

• Thank you infidel. That is heartwarming news. So often all I hear about Muslims is negative. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 21, 2018 @ 05:45