December 20, 2018

Raped Teen Immigrant Denied Abortion, Offered Coloring Books by Trump Admin

Filed under: Children, Fascism, Gender, Harm, Health, News, Political, Questions, Religion — Scottie @ 07:02

… After arriving in the United States, the teenager entered the custody of the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR), which oversees the care of underage migrants who enter the country without authorization and without their parents.

The teen was taken to the anti-abortion facility in January 2018, during the tenure of former ORR Director Scott Lloyd, a longtime abortion opponent who wanted to personally sign off on every request for an abortion made by a teenager in his agency’s care. Lloyd, who was appointed by the Trump administration, was transferred to another position within the Department of Health and Human Services in November.

It is unclear whether the teen who visited the facility in January ever received the procedure. But four other teens ultimately sued the department for refusing to allow them to get abortions while in its care.

The complaint alleges that Lloyd replied to an email about the teenager who wanted an abortionin January. In it, Lloyd asked that she be told that “support is readily available” if she wanted to become a parent and that “in some cases, women or minors who have had abortions have expressed regret from having done so, even when pregnancy is the result of sexual assault.”

This is typical anti-choice propaganda, fueled by religious fundamentalism, and it has no place in any modern government office.

1. I feel so sorry for this girl. 😦

It is one thing to give her an education and tell her all her available choices and then ultimately give her the one she chooses. It is another to remove some of those choices. Especially from a rape victim.

What is funny (ok not funny maddening) is if she went to his church after having the baby she would not be a hero for choosing life. She would be “that girl” and people would gossip and say mean and hurtful things. She’d be called a sinner for having sex and a child outside wedlock. It happened to me except I choose life on my own. But that same church I was not the hero for choosing life after my rape. Nope I was :”that girl”…

Fucking Christian mentality! YOU CAN’T HAVE AN ABORTION. After baby is born. “YOU SINNER> PREMARITAL SEX!!”

Grrrrrrr! This makes my blood boil.

hugs and good morning

Comment by Michelle Styles — December 20, 2018 @ 07:10

• Yes it is sad all way round. It is a no win situation. I am sorry you were “that girl”. In the end to have a baby or not rests entirely with the female who is pregnant. It amazes me how unsupportive people are after the child is delivered. If you believe all life is precious how much more important is it to help give a baby a future by making sure mother and baby have shelter, food, security, medical care. Then to ensure all of us are better off let’s make sure the young have a decent education, and all the other things I mentioned.

The last point I would make is going to sound harsh, but I think it is important. If you are against abortion please understand why and be able to articulate your reasoning. To many times I have asked why a person feels as they do and they give me vague platitudes or say it is because god hates it. When I ask where it says that or what science they are using to determine growth of the zigot again I get vague answers that basically come down to someone told me, my Pastor says, or the Pope declared. It is hard to have a discussion like that.

One last thing, yes I know the above was the last thing, it really upsets me that two things that could help lower unwanted pregnancies ( but not rape or pregnancies by rape ) is sexual education education and use of condoms and birth control methods. Heck if you don’t want more children males should be able to get a vasectomy.

Thanks Michelle I know this is a hard topic and I thank you for sharing your story. stay safe. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 20, 2018 @ 08:55

• I choose life because to me life is precious and the baby growing inside me had done nothing wrong. I thought and still believe (for me) that he deserved a chance to live. Not everyone believes as I do and did. I’m glad women have a choice. Especially in the case of rape and insest even more so. It’s a hard choice to choose either way.

People do not know if they haven’t been there just how hard a choice it is. Abortion is never an easy choice for the woman and afterwards when they do become a mother it’s something many women look back on with sadness. I believe the help provided needs to go beyond just a choice. It needs to support them afterward with whatever fall out comes from that choice. No one wants to talk about the mental health crisis that follows these hard choices.

A woman who chooses and abortion is more suseptable to depression and suicide following the abortion and this can range into decades beyond the actual choice. A woman who chooses life is more likely to suffer postpardum, or even harm her baby following birth. There are issues a woman faces no matter what choice she makes and virtually no support after the choice is made.

If she chooses life then I agree with you she needs help to bring that baby into a better world than the mother had known (especially if it was rape/incest or a very young girl who made a mistake.). I think the mom needs help to finish her schooling so she can better provide for the baby she choose to give birth to as well as support for the child. And yes schooling is so very important especially sexual education about contraception but I think it needs to go beyond that. We should be teaching kids about the facts of life and how hard it can be if they do get pregant. We also need to teach our girls about what choices she might face and make sure she understands all her rights. As well as what services might be available to young and pregnant mothers before and after birth if they choose that.

I don’t regret my choice for a moment. I love my son beyond words or meaning. I wouldn’t give him up for all the riches of the world.

But I also am glad I was given choices and the education what those choices would be and what would happen next with each choice. No one called it murder when talking about abortion. I did recieve lots of pressure from doctors to abort but mostly because I was so young and so badly hurt physically in my rape. But in the end the choice was mine and no one elses. Every girl/woman should have those same choices clearly and plainly placed for her to make a fully informed choice.

The aftermath of having my son was I was unable to love him at first. I felt like an awful mother because what mother doesn’t love her child. I wish I had support in that beyond my parents and family. They were awesome indeed but I could have used professional help. Insurance didn’t see a need. They said I just had the baby blues and I’d get over it. I did eventually but it took years. years I lost loving my son because all I saw when I looked at him was the men who raped me. For a long time it hurt that I couldn’t or didn’t love him. I bet that could have been shortened by a lot had I had professional help.

hugs

So little is done after the choice. So much is still needed after the choice. I hope someday we fix that too. 🙂

Comment by Michelle Styles — December 20, 2018 @ 09:32

• Again I am very sorry for what happened to you. No one should be in that position nor treated like that. I hesitate to call those that harmed you human. They may have been primates but I don’t see them as human.

I am very happy for how your situation turned out. I am delighted by the loving relationship you developed with your son.

On education I think one thing all teens need to know is the ability at any time to say stop, or no I don’t want to. I think pre-teens need to be taught consent and what it means. But I read about many kids being pressured to engage in acts they really don’t want to or feel like doing. Girls and boys, all have the right to say no. They have the right to say OK, stop. I get furious with the idea that boys can not control themselves and it is the responsibility of females not to excite males. I have seen different religious leaders from different faiths say once a boy gets excited he has to be given sex because it would hurt him not to. NO, NO, NO. Teen boys get excited all the time and for no reason, they have ways to deal with it that do not involve forcing sex on someone who doesn’t want it. A kiss is not an irrevocable invitation for sex or
          penetration. Whatever is going on it can and should be stopped if the ones involved no longer want to be doing it.

Dang I hope the above was understandable. I an angry and upset and the words in my head are going faster than I can type. I hope it is not all gibberish.

I like your idea of an all inclusive age appropriate education about the body, gender, sex, emotions, consent, relationships, how to handle embarrassing situations ( We boys have all had them as things can show clearly we are … going through puberty, not sure about girls but maybe the monthly discharge could be embarrassing also). I think the education should also discuss gender / sexual stereotypes, and even address how clothing really has no gender normal other than what we have given it. I have seen pictures and read that in the old days little boys wore dress like girls because there was such a mortality rate there was the issue of buying special clothing that would become not needed. I recently read where boys in one school were going to school in skirts because it was hot and the dress code did not allow shorts, but did skirts. What I am trying to say is people should be allowed to dress as they feel without regard to what is a men’s clothing or women’s clothing.

Thanks again for sharing your story, it is a lot to ask of you. Be well, be safe. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 20, 2018 @ 10:35

2. Raped Teen Immigrant Denied Abortion, Offered Coloring Books

This is the future conservatives want.

Comment by Infidel753 — December 20, 2018 @ 08:05

• It is a sad sick lying depraved future as far as I can see and the only reason I can see for them wanting it is to kiss ass of the sky daddy they hope will let them in to his praise me forever party. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 20, 2018 @ 08:33

• That, and the fact that authoritarian-religious men (at least the heterosexual ones) have a depraved obsession with controlling women’s lives. Combine that obsession with enough power, and you get Saudi Arabia. They’re pushing that way, here, as far as they can.

Comment by Infidel753 — December 20, 2018 @ 09:24

• Yes, I really hope we can keep our separation of religion and state, but it is under serious attack. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 20, 2018 @ 09:28

• It’s been under attack since our founding. Only vigilence and pushing back will have it remain so.

hugs

Comment by Michelle Styles — December 20, 2018 @ 09:37

• I agree, and I think education helps a lot. Too many people both young and old do not understand the constitution, the way our government works, the different branches of government, and why news organizations are so important to be free from government control. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 20, 2018 @ 10:37