December 20, 2018

Warning** The last one is hard to see, and impossible to unsee. But it is perhaps the best showing the problem of religion and god.

Filed under: Atheism, Memes, News, Questions, Reason, Religion — Scottie @ 07:17

No divine knowledge.

Are you more deserving than a child being raped, or less deserving?
Shouldn’t your god know this?

boldatheism:
““I don’t know how to say that nicely, but yes.” - Tim Minchin
”

image

image

image

1. The last one is among the best because it supersedes religion and makes the universal point that we all tend to view the world as it affects us.

Comment by kersten — December 20, 2018 @ 09:00

2. The only one I disagree with is Mr Hitchens comment about ‘ crude uncultured mammals ‘ have we changed then ?

Comment by kersten — December 20, 2018 @ 09:03

• Good Morning Kersten. I think yes we have changed and grown more enlightened and less crude. Well most of us have. There is a percentage that sadly will never really become more than their ancestors were. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 20, 2018 @ 10:13

• That’s interesting you are much more confident in moral progress than I am. Mr Hitchens was a highly intelligent man who had great faith in civilisation and the secular world it’s a great shame he was not around for longer.

Comment by kersten — December 20, 2018 @ 11:47

3. Re: that last one …

God was busy that day and could only devote his attention to the lady in the store. Maybe he’ll get around to helping the child some other time.

Comment by Nan — December 20, 2018 @ 12:24

• Nan, why do you think Christians overlook the suffering people, the dying children when they think of God? You were once a believer so you would understand better than I do. I just know every time I see the starving dying sick children of the world I get angry at the praying for my sport team believers. How can anyone see a starving or hurt child and praise a deity? Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 20, 2018 @ 12:41

• I can only speak for myself, Scottie, but when I was “servin’ da’ lawd,” the sermons primarily revolved around the usual rhetoric. I don’t recall EVER hearing a preacher mention the children as portrayed in the image.

Maybe Christians take the stance that Ben mentioned in one of his latest posts — the Lord will provide. You know, he takes care of the sparrow … etc — so they figure that means even the starving children.

Seems like an oxymoron to me.

Comment by Nan — December 20, 2018 @ 12:49

• While your point is absolutely valid it’s not just Christians that overlook the destitute and suffering many of the relatively rich and prosperous in the west also do the same. I know you an I have a different estimate of human nature but it has always had a callous side long before Christianity came on the scene. It is part of our evolutionary nature to ignore disaster and look after our selves and our tribe.

Comment by kersten — December 20, 2018 @ 15:37

• No Kersten you can not do that. We were talking about Christians praying for meaningless things vrs real life tragedies in other places. The meme was specific. What you are doing is changing the subject to obfuscate the meaning of the post.

It may have been part of our evolution to a group communal species to look after our group / tribe before others. But we have evolved past that. There is no reason for it today other than greed and selfishness. You ever wonder why every study done shows those with the least share the most of what they have? Those who have no reason to depend any longer on the group tend to fix at on their own interest and wealth. The ones depending on the group still care about the welfare of each other.
          Be well. How are things over where you are? Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 20, 2018 @ 16:00

• Over here we can no longer use the term stupid woman because it is misogamist statement at the moment stupid man is ok for those who may want to label Mr Trump . The leader of the opposition had the audacity to mouth the word to himself while thinking of the Prime Minister.
            Very soon we will be limited to platitudes.
            In this wicked world we should always try to take a broad view, as you know religion takes a very narrow view , but narrow mindedness is not the prerogative of the religious. Sometimes my brush strokes are too broad but I have a fervent belief that we are all part of homo sapiens and what we have in common is far more than we realise.

Comment by kersten — December 21, 2018 @ 04:39

4. In Thailand we have a belief in Buddhism which takes in karma and reincarnation into consideration, it is possible in my opinion. Certain people have recollections of past lives and so on. Karma is one of the main beliefs here but I’m surprised it isn’t in the west.

Comment by ร้านผ้าม่านพาหุรัด เอทีเอ็ม เคดอร์ — January 7, 2019 @ 05:11