December 22, 2018

Agnostic vrs Gnostic

Filed under: Atheism, News, Pictures, Religion — Scottie @ 10:46

agnostic_chart

1. I like this. I’m an agnostic atheist, based on this.

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — December 22, 2018 @ 12:02

• I think many in “our” crowd would define themselves the same as you, Jeff. Personally, I’m not sure where I fit because I feel pretty certain no god exists … but I’m not sure I could go so far as to say I’m a Gnostic Atheist. That description is pretty radical.

I guess it goes back to “labels.” They simply don’t work in all circumstances.

Comment by Nan — December 22, 2018 @ 12:16

• I agree. I’m as certain as can be there aren’t any gods, but to claim I KNOW there aren’t is not true. It’s an un-falsifiable claim. You can’t PROVE they do NOT exist, but, then again, we can’t PROVE that green unicorns don’t live on a planet on the far side of the universe in an alternate dimension either. They do, BTW.

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — December 22, 2018 @ 12:28

• Yes so true Nan. You should see some of the messed up graphs and charts you get if you google atheist chart. Wow. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 22, 2018 @ 13:14

• I am pretty much a gnostic atheist by these definitions. My view is that gods are like unicorns or dragons — in some technical abstract sense you can’t absolutely prove they don’t exist, but in practice it’s so unlikely that it’s not worth spending any mental energy on it. It’s close enough to certainty that the difference is of no practical significance.

Comment by Infidel753 — December 22, 2018 @ 14:14

• Hello Infidel. I have heard people like Aron Ra say the same thing you wrote. He uses reason to show why it is so far into the “gods do not exist” zone and he is convincing. The problem I have is I do not have the memory recall and the detailed facts always at hand to be able to use reason to make the point. So I until I can reasonably argue the point I feel I can not make the definitive statement. I wish I could because I really feel the gods I have been told about do not exist. I also feel the idea of gods and religion has done a lot of harm to humanity. I just wish I was better at expressing it. Have a grand holiday. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 22, 2018 @ 14:23

• Yes me also. I only know one gnostic atheist and that is Aron Ra. I think that is because any gods would be afraid to cross him. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 22, 2018 @ 13:13

2. I too, and I think I can prove it by the lacking of about any mathematics in the time the Religions have been written.

Comment by miles — December 22, 2018 @ 12:19

• I thought ancient arabs had math? I thought math came from that whole region. I could be wrong. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 22, 2018 @ 13:15

• The Babylonians in ancient times had quite advanced mathematics, and the Greeks later developed geometry to an even higher degree (starting around the fifth century BC). This was the same general time period as when the Old Testament was being written, but the Old Testament was written by primitive people on the fringes of civilization. Think of Babylon and Athens back then as being like Boston and New York, and the ancient Hebrews were like the goat-molesting Hatfield-and-McCoy types out in the hinterlands.

During the Hellenistic period (last three centuries BC) the Babylonians came close to inventing calculus and Greek scientists calculated the size of the Earth and figured out that the Earth orbits the Sun and not vice versa. A lot of Jews became assimilated into Hellenistic or later the Roman civilization, but the ones who kept the religious traditions were the ones who didn’t assimilate. Today we have lots of uneducated people who ignore science and cling to primitive religion. It was the same back then.

Talking about ancient Arabs, you may be thinking of the great “Islamic” civilization of the early Middle Ages (800-1100 AD), which re-discovered Hellenistic science and mathematics and also learned about positional notation which was developed in India around the same time. Medieval Arab and Persian mathematicians came up with major new innovations, like algebra. This was long after Biblical times, though.

Comment by Infidel753 — December 22, 2018 @ 14:10

• Thank you. Yes that was what I was thinking, I just did not have a time reference. My problem is my mind holds general ideas but I have trouble with specifics, so I have to look up a lot. This is great information. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 22, 2018 @ 14:28

• Plus putting together all the different causes and effects is a nightmare for me. I love to learn but dang so much is dependant on so much other stuff I tend to get lost. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 22, 2018 @ 14:29

• I thank you too, dear infidel753.

Comment by miles — December 22, 2018 @ 14:42

• Sorry Miles, I just wrote to you about this, I am so behind . Best wishes. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 22, 2018 @ 14:43

3. None of them writers of ALL of the Religions did have the knowledge of Mathematics, that scientists do have today: Their knowledge was nearly nothing compared to today. They didnt have any knowledge of really big Numbers like Billions and Trillions. (Why should they) And they of course didn’t have “numbercrushing” machines – computers, being able to crush algebraic equations that men were unable to solve.
    And even Inequalities are a means of todays mathematicians, for instance, to compare dimensions.
    All this could not be known to any “mathematician”, in olden times.

The first to come up with the Idea of a bigbang-theory was Georges Lemaitre in 1927, a later R. Catholic priest! –
    2 years later Hubble came up with his bigbang theory.
    It was in the 20th centrury that the age-acessment gave practical mehods of finding out the ages of geological material, and it was the hubble-telescope launched in 1990 that gave the scientist insights, that the scientist of the age, when the religions were written down, could not have had.
    I didnt think of the math of the Arabs. They had an earth centered view of our earth and its surroundings.

Comment by miles — December 22, 2018 @ 14:36

• Thank you Miles. Infidel gave a great time line for math and the reason some knew more than the bible writers. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 22, 2018 @ 14:43