December 23, 2018

The Newsroom – America is not the greatest country in the world anymore

Filed under: Economics, Education, Facts, Funny videos, History, News, Political — Scottie @ 14:06

This is out of date but the message still rings loud and clear.   Hugs

1. WOW! (Yes, I made it through the entire video! I’m on a roll today.) I really liked this part of the video publisher’s description: “The first step to solving a problem is to admit there is one.” Unfortunately, there are too many that won’t admit we currently have one in this country because they refuse to SEE it! Why? Because they’ve pulled their MAGA cap down over their eyes.

Comment by Nan — December 23, 2018 @ 14:43

• Yes, but we can not fix the many problems until we can get most of the country onboard. I have no idea how to do it. I think some of the cult of tRump must just be written off. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 23, 2018 @ 14:52

2. I know this one — posted it on my own site a while back. It still seems very timely to me. I particularly like the point about how in the past we didn’t scare so easily. The whole stance of Republican voters is that they’re frightened of everything. Mexicans, blacks, gays, secularism, Muslims, whatever — everything is a terrifying threat and they need a giant wall and a police state and what have you to protect them from it.

Comment by Infidel753 — December 23, 2018 @ 16:38

• Yes, very much Yes. I am glad I was not the only one who caught that. You know once when I posted this I got accused of being unpatriotic? Because if you don’t claim your country is perfect and the best you are somehow not loving your country. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 23, 2018 @ 16:42

• Because if you don’t claim your country is perfect and the best you are somehow not loving your country.

A false concept of patriotism can be a serious problem. Long ago I remember hearing about this with respect to Britain around 1900, when it had been the world’s dominant nation for more than a century, but was becoming stagnant socially and technologically while the United States and Germany forged ahead. Many British people simply blinded themselves to the problems because they had been “the greatest country on Earth” for so long that anything else was simply unimaginable. The way they did everything just had to be the best way because it was the British way, and they had nothing to learn from “lesser” nations. They got that nonsense knocked out of them by World War I. The person who told me about this worried that the same kind of attitude was developing among Americans. By now it’s clear that this is true. Compared to western Europe and Japan our infrastructure is primitive and crumbling, our educational system is mediocre, our health-care system is a disaster, our unequal distribution of wealth is a scandal, the huge ignorant and religion-besotted segment of our population keeps voting for a party of incompetent kleptocrats who drag the country backward, and our anti-intellectual culture threatens our scientific preeminence and thus ultimately the technological progress upon which everything depends. We remain dominant due to the huge size of the United States and the sheer amount of military hardware accumulated by decades of massive spending, but to a certain extent, we’re coasting.

A real patriot would be willing to discuss these issues soberly for the benefit of the country. Fake patriots yell at anyone who brings them up because rah rah we’re the greatest.

Here’s another video by the great AronRa which is eloquent about some of the same themes — and it’s pre-Trump.

Comment by Infidel753 — December 23, 2018 @ 19:04

• Very well said, I wish I could have said it as well. I wonder why the wealthy in our country ,that bribe our congress people, want us to not have health care, not want the people to have a living wage , to slash to an amount not liveable for social security and denying ever more medicare and medicaid. I do not see how denying these things every other 1st nations have to us makes us better, or says why we can not have them. Really is the USA so morally and economically bankrupt that we can not even provide for our citizens. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 23, 2018 @ 19:19

• Methinks you nailed it!!!

Comment by Nan — December 23, 2018 @ 16:44