December 28, 2018

I am back

Filed under: Native Peoples / First People / Native Americans, News — Scottie @ 06:01

Hello everyone.  I may have jumped the gun on my suspecting a problem with my main blogging computer.   I have reset this one five times, tweaked it to the max, and still after running all my cleaners still get the security alert in the registry of the powershell setting.  So as I said yesterday I ran the same security over my secondary computer and it did not report the error.  So I immediately thought maybe I had been hacked as the powershell can run scripts and bots.  But this morning as I was setting up this one it dawned on me that I have not done all the in depth utility scans on the second computer because I only use it for watching stuff as I work.     ( both computers are rather new and both are powerful ) So as the specifications are nearly the same the results of tests on one should be the same as the other.  So while I set up the blogging / web surfing one, I ran every deep utility scan I normally run on only the blogging computer.  I go to far more places and less trustworthy places on this one than the other one.  Then after I ran all the utility scans, tests, and functions I ran the security program.  Sure enough, it reported back the same error of the powershell registry.   Shoot.  It seems Norton’s utility program and Norton’s security program are in disagreement on how the powershell registry key should be set.  The utility program resets it one way and the security program reports that as a bad thing and wants it reset again.  I am not sure why, but I have tested it on both computers and it is what is happening.  Now it doesn’t happen in a normal full scan.   It only gets reported as a problem when I run the Norton’s Power Eraser, which is a powerful scanner and can give false reports of problems.   So it seems that is what is happening.   I have so much more to load on this computer, all my video editing software, my music software, my cameras and microphones and so much more.  It is going to take me most of the morning.    Hugs

1. Wow it all sounds like a foreign language to me but then your blogging non-stop , it makes me wonder if many on WordPress are on big high pressure set ups. One of my son’s dabbles in bit coin and it’s another misty mystery to me.

Comment by kersten — December 28, 2018 @ 07:27

• I have always loved computers and when Ron built my office I got two really good machines that should last for a very long time. As they are desktops I can repair most things or update them as needed. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 28, 2018 @ 08:32

2. I hope you get them sorted.
    Hugs

Comment by davidprosser — December 28, 2018 @ 09:38

• Oh I have it about done. Not sure I am going to add the video editing software, I never use it. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 28, 2018 @ 11:57

3. Kill all Nortons! You can thank me later.

Comment by shelldigger — December 28, 2018 @ 10:21

• I get it free from comcast so it saves me a bunch of money. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 28, 2018 @ 11:57

• I agree with shelldigger — kill Norton! Pay for something good — it will be worth it in the long run. I use BitDefender .,, very good ratings — but do the research. BTW, I’m sure you know the only reason your provider uses Norton is simply because they offer them a good price … it doesn’t mean the software is any good.

Comment by Nan — December 28, 2018 @ 13:01

• Hahaha, Well on this I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Around here the providers have all offered security programs with your internet package. The reason they offer them free is they help keep malware and viruses off their own networks. Basically it gives them less network management problems if people have more secure computers. Comcast has a lot of security programs I don’t use, but may look into. I can have 12 computers all covered for basically my monthly high speed internet cost. As I use to have 8 computers to cover that was a great savings. I am down to only three computers needing covered, the other internet devices have other security measures. As to Symantec’s Norton products, I have to say I have been with Norton products before there was high speed internet ( yes I am that much of a geek ) and I remember when they were mostly a utilities program until they bought out Doctor Solomon. I have tried both McAfee and Norton security products and I find McAfee is hard on system resources, or was when I used it. Now I have computers that it wouldn’t matter , they have it to spare, but I had to use hand me down rebuilt computers for a long time, and memory / processor drain was a huge problem. Now McAfee may have changed as this was way back in the early 2000’s I used them. Now often my problem with suspected malware or problems is just what happened this time. I seen a result that I was not expecting and I grew suspicious of what was going on. I then tried to trouble shoot it. In this case I manually changed the settings in the Powershell. ( took me almost a day to teach my self them, and still I needed references as I really never took programming ) and it kept changing back. But I did not think about the fact I was running the utilities program at its strongest level and then running the Norton power eraser. Remember I never got the warning when I ran the regular full scan. I know the NPE can give false positives but ignored that. Then when I ran the NPE on the second computer, and did not get the warning, I felt I had a problem. Turned out I discovered at 3 AM this morning I did not have a problem the whole time. I did all this reset basically for nothing. I remembered this morning that I hardly ever run the utilities programs on the computer I use for videos. After all I only go to YouTube, Netflix , TYT, MSNBC, and Amazon with it. I need to have something playing while I do my other stuff, if I do not have the second computer playing I have my ear pods in and listening to podcasts. Ron can not understand it, I have to have that stimulus or I start to over think things and go crazy in side my own head. So anyway, I ran the utilities and the NPE on the second computer and got the same result. Then I tried a test on both. If I ran the NPE and did not run the utilities, the problem did not come back. But as soon as I ran the utilities I would get registry errors needing correcting. I would let the program correct the registry, and then run the NPE and sure enough it would tell me I have a bad registry error needing fixing. So it was the two programs fighting each other. I should have known to look into it more deeply but it was easier and more fun to just redo the computer. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 28, 2018 @ 13:35

• Well! That was certainly more information than I needed! lol

I guess my only response is … whatever works.

Comment by Nan — December 28, 2018 @ 15:42

• All I can say is in all my years I have never had a verifiable malware nor a virus. I have often been suspicious but never proven. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 28, 2018 @ 16:37

• I guess we all have our price point 🙂 I value my hair, and my sanity. Norton makes me want to yank out my hair and run through the streets screaming. I sleep a lot better knowing all Nortons in my immediate vicinity are long gone 😉 …maybe it’s better than it used to be, I dunno, don’t want to know lol…

Comment by shelldigger — December 28, 2018 @ 16:13

• Wait, running through the streets screaming is a bad thing? I use to do that but forgot my shorts, and the screaming was not from me. silly how something so small upsets people. Oh well now I have a tracking collar and if I bark the shocks are outstanding. I now know what they mean by the color purple. Bark , bark, bark,,,urrrrkggrrrr thunk. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 28, 2018 @ 17:32

4. I’ve been having issues myself. My regular computer is having lockup fits, and wont stay on without locking up long enough for me to get much done. This computer (laptop) had some issues when I got on it, slow as molasses and the mouse clicks not registering. After some deleting/disabling/and malware removal and borrowing the mouse from the other computer, the laptop is running pretty smooth again. But there are a lot of bloatware apps I am considering removing before Im done. Toshiba has a boatload of crap that comes with their stuff, sorting out what to kill or keep will keep me busy for a while yet.

The old tower computer, will get my attention soon. I’ve blown the fan/processor clean, and yet it still locks up, I thought heat might be the issue, but apparently there is more to it. I’ll get it sorted out or I’ll have a new boat anchor 🙂

Comment by shelldigger — December 28, 2018 @ 10:29

• They keep us busy don’t they. I got one of my computers with both a ssd and a regular hd, and the system drive is the ssd. I have to make sure everything I install goes to the secondary reg hd or the system drive runs out of space. Some times I forget and it is a pain in the butt. I also have to move all the libraries to the d drive. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 28, 2018 @ 11:56