January 17, 2019

Thousands More Migrant Children Were Probably Taken From Families Than Reported

Filed under: Bigotry, Children, Criminal, Family, Fascism, Harm, News, Political, Questions, Race — Scottie @ 15:08

But even before the administration officially unveiled the zero-tolerance policy in the spring of 2018, staff of the United States Department of Health and Human Services, the agency that oversees the care of children in federal custody, had noted a “sharp increase” in the number of children separated from a parent or guardian, according to the report from the agency’s Office of Inspector General.

As of December, the department had identified 2,737 children who were separated from their parents under the policy and required to be reunified by a federal court order issued in June 2018.

But that number does not represent the full scope of family separations. Thousands of children may have been separated during an influx that began in 2017, before the accounting required by the court, the report said.

Thus, the total number of children separated from a parent or guardian by immigration authorities is “unknown,” because of the lack of a coordinated formal tracking system between the Office of Refugee Resettlement, the arm of Health and Human Services that takes in the children, and the Department of Homeland Security, which separated them from their parents.

1. How can that be? They don’t even have records of kids they took? I mean how in the hell do you lose something as precious as a child?

Oh this burns my buns!!! Wish I had the room and funds to adopt them all so they know Americans are not savages but people who love and care for them.

Comment by Michelle Styles — January 17, 2019 @ 15:14

• Hello MIchelle. I was struck by your “… Americans are not savages …” line. The europeans who came here to claim the land called the natives they found already here “savages” and yet we know who the real savages were. Seem it is something some people have yet to out grow. What I found interesting was it was a government agency that released the information that another government agency lied. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — January 17, 2019 @ 16:38

• I’ve often been accused of being naïve but don’t discount that as foolish. I know well what history teaches. I like to believe as a people we’ve transcended such things. It doesn’t mean I’m blind to the cold reality of our government. I just don’t find any of them as representative of me and my values. Not a single one of them.

I still don’t believe the American people (not the government) are savages. I’ve seen too many who care, who hurt when they see such things. We will fix this government someday. Though I fear as long as people remain blind to politics that day shall be delayed.

No single party nor person in this government cares one bit for you or I beyond pulling the switch and voting. All any of them care about is their own power. They don’t truly care about child separation else it would have been just as huge a problem while president Obama did it. To me it is hypocritical to not care when one party does it and then care when the other does it. That mentality leaves the world laughing at us.

So yes I believe the American people care and are not savages who wish to split up children from parents. I believe most American people welcome those seeking to better themselves and their families with the American dream. It’s just too bad common sense doesn’t prevail and blind loyalty to a party is at the moment the norm.

Hugs

Comment by Michelle Styles — January 18, 2019 @ 07:52

• Hello Michelle, I hope all is well for you. Of course we disagree. I think the cult of deplorables that follow tRump and support his administration’s actions are savages.

I also think there are stark differences between the child separation as done under the Obama administration and what happened to parents/ children separations under tRump’s administration. Under Obama there was no attempt to deport parents without their children. The Flores agreement was not deliberately broken routinely under Obama as they are tRump. Also during the Obama administration there was a huge number of unaccompanied minors that had to have adult supervision. Those unaccompanied minors came across the border in far greater numbers than the current families coming now. The crisis on the southern border is manufactured by the current administration and doesn’t need to happen. Illegal crossing of the border has fallen for two decades. The ones being detained at the border are refugees who are actively turning themselves in. The current administration deliberately makes this situation worse as a deterrent for them coming to ask for asylum, breaking the us laws to do it as the law allowed them to cross over illegally and then apply. .One last thing on refugees applying for a hearing. The law requires the person be on US soil. The tRump administration has refused to let the migrants to even enter the buildings at the legal points of entry for any reason. I posted how they wouldn’t even let a little girl in to use the bathroom. There were congress people there and they demanded to know why they were lied to that the place was full. Yet it was not. The supervisor they were talking to claimed he would be right back and never returned. It is clear that the current administration doesn’t want any immigration from the southern border. In my opinion to compare the policies under both presidents and say they are the same is not correct. It is cold in Florida today, hope you are warm and well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — January 18, 2019 @ 08:57

• Considering the percentages of unaccompanied minors has not changed. While overall illegal crossing is down and in some part Trump had a hand in that with his zero tolerance policy. The actual percent of women/children/men/minors without adults, ect… have not changed much if any. Obama also did indeed fast track parents deportation leaving children stranded in the middle.

Top that off with wrong is wrong. I won’t make excuses for Obama and his administration because I say it was as wrong then as it is now. We certainly agree it is worse now than ever in how our fellow humans are treated today compared to years past.

I guess that is the difference between me and others. I was mad at Bush and the congress for the wreckless spending, I was mad at Obama for the same and I am mad at Trump as well for the same. I was upset with Obama for separating children then and I am upset now as well. I won’t play politics and say well my guy did it better. Instead the issue is more black and white. Is it wrong or is it right? If it’s wrong for one it’s wrong for all.

There in lay our only disagreement. 
            hugs

Comment by Michelle Styles — January 18, 2019 @ 09:49

• Hello Michelle. Just got back from the grocery store and started checking numbers. You are wrong about the amount of unaccompanied minors being the same under both presidents.

Using the same time period that we have for family units, the number of children under age 18 apprehended crossing the border without a parent or legal guardian was about the same in fiscal year 2013 as it was in 2017 — around 40,000. But it fluctuated in the years in between.

In 2014, the Obama administration dealt with a surge of unaccompanied minors on the Southwest border, largely due to those fleeing violence and poverty in the “northern triangle” of Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador and false rumors about “permits” being issued, as we explained at the time. The number of apprehended unaccompanied children rose from 38,759 in fiscal year 2013 to 68,541 in fiscal year 2014. It went back down to just under 40,000 the following year. It’s on track to be similar in fiscal 2018.

CBP data for unaccompanied children go back further than the available statistics on family units. In fiscal year 2010, the number of unaccompanied children apprehended was 18,411.

Unaccompanied Children
              Since FY2014, UAC and family unit apprehensions have represented a growing share of the total apprehensions at the southern border. Most of these children and families have been coming from Central America—notably El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras. Over the past few years, a drop in apprehensions is typically observed during December and January, however, the decline seen this year has been significantly larger than in previous years. In November FY2017, over 7,000 UACs were apprehended at the border. By April FY2017, UAC apprehensions were down to 998 (Figure 2). May numbers show a nearly 50 percent increase from April, although levels are still well below past years.

There are a couple of great charts at this site also but I can not seem to get them into the comment. Here is the link https://bipartisanpolicy.org/blog/a-snapshot-of-immigration-at-the-border-as-of-june-2017/ .

About the Obama administration separating families and sending the parents back without the child, I couldn’t find anything saying that. I did find this from NBC on the subject.

blockquote> This is inaccurate — there was no widespread Obama-era policy of separating parents and children — but it’s a common talking point for Republican commentators and members of the president’s administration. Trump’s policy, now temporarily halted, aimed to prosecute every single illegal border crossing, including asylum-seekers. The government separated children from their parents or legal guardians because the adults had been referred for prosecution for illegal entry into the United States.

“The Obama administration, the Bush administration all separated families,” Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen told reporters at the White House on Monday. “They absolutely did. They did — their rate was less than ours, but they absolutely did do this. This is not new.”

“This is a policy that is implemented under the Obama Administration,” former Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski said on Fox News.

Matt Schlapp, chairman of the American Conservative Union, made a similar point on Fox News on Friday.

“You know what’s ironic?” he said. “It’s the same way Barack Obama did it.”

Immigration advocates and former Obama administration officials say that’s just not true.

The idea that this is simply a continuation of an Obama-era practice is “preposterous,” said Denise Gilman, director of the Immigration Clinic at the University of Texas Law School. “There were occasionally instances where you would find a separated family — maybe like one every six months to a year — and that was usually because there had been some actual individualized concern that there was a trafficking situation or that the parent wasn’t actually the parent.”

Once custody concerns were resolved, “there was pretty immediately reunification,” Gilman told NBC News. “There were not 2,000 kids in two months — it’s not the same universe,” she added.

I am not implying that the Obama administration was perfect on immigration. In fact I was not happy at all with the way deportations were handled during Obama’s terms. He deported way too many people and I felt he did not safeguard the rights of immigrants especially the children brought here with the parents. I am talking the DACA kids. But while I am not happy at what Obama did, I do not see the situation as the same. I agree with you that a better system is possible. I disagree that you can compare the two. I felt Obama often was more republican in ideas and style than he was a democrat. He was republican lite as they say. Well this got long. So will go and fold clothes. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — January 18, 2019 @ 12:14

2. That is trumpels racist and Nazi.like “politics”

Comment by m-iles — January 17, 2019 @ 16:32

• Hello Miles. I hope you are doing better today? Yes these are racist policies by people who want to be Nazis. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — January 17, 2019 @ 16:39

3. It is past time for the courts to order a full-scale, non-partisan, independent investigation of all DHS records and of every single place where any immigrant children are being kept. This is simply unconscionable.

Hugs!

Comment by jilldennison — January 17, 2019 @ 20:53

• I agree Jill. What adds an even more sinister page to this story is that the children were whisked off on planes in the middle of the night ( I posted about this ) to distant states and turned over to care places run by Christian churches and religions. They were run through Christian agencies to be fostered and adopted ( yes adopted even though they still had parents ) by Christian couples. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — January 18, 2019 @ 06:39