January 29, 2019

Your marriage is not real or count because our invisible myth god thinks it is icky

Filed under: Asshole / Jerk, Bigotry, Family, Homosexual, Love, News, Political, Questions, Religion — Scottie @ 13:08

TEXAS: Wedding Venue Rejects Gay Couple Because Same-Sex Marriage Isn’t In “God’s Design”

Aaron Lucero and Jeff Cannon wanted a country wedding. They say they still do, even after what they thought was their dream venue turned them away. “It’s still the idea,” Lucero, 29, told McClatchy. “Planning your wedding is supposed to be this joyous, happy moment in your lives, and this was so jarring because it happened literally the first week we started looking for venues in earnest.”

But the Venue at Waterstone, in Celina, Texas, refused to host Lucero and Cannon, according to an email sent to the couple the night before they were to tour the rustic event space about 40 miles north of Dallas. In the email, the venue’s owner Lyle Wise explains that he’s only turning the couple away based on their sexual orientation because of his “love and gratitude” to God.

It is legal in Texas to fire, evict or refuse service to someone because of their sexual orientation or gender identity.

1. I’m not a Texan, but from all I’ve read … they should have known. They’d be better served to travel to another state to find their “dream venue.”

Comment by Nan — January 29, 2019 @ 14:40

• Hello Nan. Should there be places were only same sex couples can get married and places where opposite sex couples get married? Is not marriage , well marriage. If there is a difference in marriages, are they separate but equal? Or more like not equal. There is a reason I ask this. Before Ron and I got married I had a person tell me we could legally get married but it wouldn’t matter, it still was not a true marriage.

So lets take this back to the late 1960’s. Should it be legal for wedding venue sites to exclude black couples, or mixed race couples? I have spent my life having everything I and Ron do compared to straight couples. When the unmarried opposite sex couples can get medical coverage from one partner but same sex non married couples couldn’t I was told to just deal with it. When our hospital we both worked at wouldn’t honor our marriage for insurance until forced too by law I was told to be grateful I had insurance.

Nan, I am not against you and I know you do not feel any animosity towards same sex couples. But each time we must make an accommodation for a religion or a “deeply held belief” that other people don’t , it is a soul killing discrimination. It is saying we must hide, we must take your feelings of hating us into account so you don’t have to be burdened with treating us as people . People like everyone else.

It hurts Nan to be the one always told you are not welcome. You are not worthy. You are different and we don’t want to let you have what we have. I have to tell you, if Ron was younger and I not having dying bones we would have moved to Canada. At least there we would be treated as full citizens, with the same rights and duties as all others. Here they want us to pay the same rate, and not get any of the services for it. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — January 29, 2019 @ 15:03

• Scottie, I agree with you wholeheartedly. But until people can get past their religious (and other) prejudices, it’s not going to get any better. The laws have been passed … but that doesn’t change the warped and biased mind of individuals. Perhaps this couple should have done more research before they decided on this particular venue.

From what I’ve heard and read, Texas is one of the least tolerant states … which is why I wrote what I did.

Comment by Nan — January 29, 2019 @ 15:22

• Nan, I agree and understand what you meant. What I am trying to say is it must be challenged every where this happens. I look at it this way. If left unchallenged it simply remains as the way things are. That sets up areas where it is OK and areas it is not. No other rights are decided that way. If no one had challenged the southern slave ownership because it was the south so what do you expect, there would still be slavery in the US. If no one had challenged the idea women were not entitled to vote, they still wouldn’t be. My point is some places must be forced in to the modern world , if not for their own good, for sure for all of ours. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — January 29, 2019 @ 16:01

• I do see where you’re coming from. But taking this particular couple … what should they have done? Filed a suit? That isn’t something that everyone wants to take on. Objected vociferously to the “believer”? Would this have accomplished/changed anything?

I agree that this … and other “causes” … need to be brought to the forefront but I wonder about the best way to do that. Contact congresspeople? Take it to court? Write to the local newspaper? Maybe all three? IOW, talking about it and taking action are often worlds apart.

Comment by Nan — January 29, 2019 @ 16:29

• Hello Nan. No I think the couple were shocked. As any one would if they went to a business and asked to hire them for a service to be turned down. I imagine they first panicked, wondering how to get what they desired. I don’t imagine they wanted a prolonged in the news fight instead of the ideal marriage ceremony they desired. But that doesn’t mean after it is all said and done we should ignore the behavior of the wedding venue who rejected them for being a same sex couple. I say that again because that sets up a two tiered marriage. One for the accepted, and the other that means nothing. It like the religious people are doing to abortion rights, they chip away at the right until it means nothing and the service is not available. They want to do that to same sex marriage also. In Texas the AG filed a lawsuit saying that just because same sex people could have a marriage did not mean they get all the rights of opposite sex couples, the right he was trying to block was spousal medical coverage from the state by state employees. Unless we stay sharp and are willing to put our selves out there we will have a marriage in name only. These people wont give up, they wont back down. They are on a mission from their god, and we are the ones they want gone. It is hard to know you have a target on your self and your loved one from so many groups wanting to hurt you for just being. Thanks for listening to my rant for a bit. Best wishes. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — January 29, 2019 @ 16:42

• There is Texas and Texas. Dallas actually has a pretty vibrant gay community, Austin is one of the great centers of American popular music, Houston elected an openly-lesbian mayor some years ago…..and then of course there are the more backward parts. Like everywhere in the country, it seems, the big cities are most advanced and the rural areas most backward, with the suburbs in between. (I’ve been to rural southern Oregon and it’s like a different planet from Portland.)

Celina is a tiny town — some ways north of Dallas, but still, a Texas small town. Still, I think they would be able to find a wedding venue in Dallas without difficulty, and it’s not far. That would work better than going to another state. The only other state within a reasonable distance is Oklahoma, and Oklahoma is basically Alabama with no black people — about as Republican as you can get.

Comment by Infidel753 — January 29, 2019 @ 22:25

• Should it be legal for wedding venue sites to exclude black couples, or mixed race couples?

I think this is the standard that should be applied everywhere. Any treatment which you would judge immoral, unethical, or ought-to-be-illegal to apply to black people or to mixed-race couples, should also be unacceptable when applied to gay people or gay married couples. Slavery was once defended using the Bible, and millions of people held deep, even religious beliefs that blacks were meant to be subordinated because black skin represented the Curse of Ham from the story of Noah.

In some cases there’s room for legitimate disagreement about where exactly to draw the line between business owners’ right of freedom of association and minorities’ right to be free from discrimination. But we’ve had decades of experience in resolving such conflicts where racial minorities are concerned. If gay people get the same legal protection from discrimination as racial minorities have, we will be on the right track.

Comment by Infidel753 — January 29, 2019 @ 22:31

• Hello Infidel. I agree with you, you said it well. I can not help but think of it if the tables were turned and Christians were the ones being discriminated against. The out cry would never stop. Think of the waiver just given to a Christian adoption agency to allow them to discriminate against anyone and any group based on religion. But what if a Jewish organisation wanted the right to exclude doing business with Christians? What if Muslims refused to serve Jews or Christians? Would that be taken as OK. As a person who has been discriminated against in many areas of my life because of sexual orientation it angers me that any discrimination is allowed and sanctioned by the government. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — January 30, 2019 @ 05:04

2. I know, why I broke every contact to the catholic church – even with the son of my fosterparents, who I have grown up with, because he is a an 84 years old Monk in the catholic church. This cost me also my contact with my sister being 79 years old. It is because of the Kidraping Priests and their Bishops and Cardinal raping kids or youths too – or camouflaging the raping of their subordinates. – my sis is sttill visiting their churches and is still a believer..
    I had to stop ANY contact for myself to these missionary bigots. My hate for this Kidrapers is just too great.
    No, it was not an easy step to make.
    And I am a very convinced atheist.

Comment by m-iles — January 29, 2019 @ 14:48

• Thank you Miles. I know that it is hard to step away from people you have known so long. You did what you had to do to be true to your self. Thank you for being the strong person you are. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — January 29, 2019 @ 15:05

3. Hi Friend Scottie, thanks: I have had to bend myself just for being gay. Now as I am 77 years old, I shall not bent anymore, and in no case for kidrapists and bigots – if I am asked: Why: I tell them the truth – and they shut down.
    hugs and all the best for Ron and you and Milo and Otis and if you have contact to Randy: I wish him all the best too.

Comment by m-iles — January 29, 2019 @ 15:46

• Thank you Miles. Our best to you also. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — January 29, 2019 @ 16:04

4. Find another venue. As far as I’m concerned, these people are no different than finding a perfect venue but the bathrooms stink or something. I’ve been married three times & I can tell you that there is no perfect wedding, no perfect wedding venue, no perfect reception. (& no perfect marriage, for that matter).

It doesn’t matter where you live, you are always going to run into these people. I live in NY & I run into these people all the time. Laws aren’t going to change them. They will find a way around the law to screw you over. Just find another place & let the world know these people are assholes. Like the saying goes, a good review will inform ten people; a bad review will inform one hundred people. Tell the world about these jerks & move on.

Comment by silverapplequeen — January 30, 2019 @ 04:24

• Hello SAQ. Yes I agree there are jerks every where. However the point is if you are going to serve the public as a public business, you shouldn’t have the right to discriminate against any members of the public. As Infidel said, substitute skin color or mixed race and would it still be allowed? Also in some smaller communities there are not really viable alternatives. This is about more than marriage, it is about making some part of the population less than fully equal members of society. I remember when a few stores put up notices saying they did not sell to gay people. Now I did not need anything from these stores, but hell that really stung. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — January 30, 2019 @ 05:17