February 7, 2019

STUDY: Children Of Gay Couples Do Better In School

Filed under: Children, Education, Facts, Family, Gender, Homosexual, Love, News, Reason, Science — Scottie @ 13:31

The Washington Post reports:

Children of same-sex couples perform better in school than kids raised by a mom and a dad, according to new research from several European economists. The researchers found that children raised by same-sex couples had higher test scores in elementary and secondary school and were about 7 percent more likely to graduate from high school than children raised by different-sex couples.

1. I can say that is two for two for my kids.
    Josef was an honorroll student and top 10 in his class.
    Tina is in the top 1% of Hawaii kids in the standardized testing. And an honorroll student as well. Straight A’s!
    Josef in his first semester at college got 3.98 GPA so far and he is upset thinking he can do better.

Comment by Michelle Styles — February 7, 2019 @ 14:28

• Hello Michelle. You are a grand mother. Many people at the site I got this from said the reason the children do better is they are wanted and cared for. The reoccurring idea is that because gay people have to really want and work for children those children have more attention and more effort from the parents to help them get ahead. I guess that could be true. But to me there are plenty of children from homes where they do not have the ability to give the children that attention and hands up, yet the children do well also. So I am not sure what the secret is. I guess it sure would be helpful to the child to be in a loving and accepting home. A home where a child is safe and secure. Despite the Evangelical religious nuts, those homes happen more often in the accepting homes and same sex homes than in the frustrated world is horrible our god is coming to judge us all homes. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 7, 2019 @ 14:51

• Wanted, cared for, loved, respected and appreciated.

I can’t count the hours spent helping with homework, encouraging my kids to do better, parent teacher conferences, and so much more. Sarah and I are involved in thier lives and in every way. It’s funny I helped raise two heterosexual children who lived in a gay home! But my kids know they are loved and wanted. They know we are engaged in everything they do. From karate to choirs, from football to chess club or odyessy of the mind. We have been to every meet, game, match and convention.

I feel so many parents are so busy these days. They forget just how much it means when their child looks out into the audience and there is mom, dad cheering, wwatching and loving. Between Sarah and I we have never missed a single event. No matter how busy we are/were at the time. One of us is always there.

I think because gay people have to fight so hard to just get a child that maybe we appreciate them more? It was such a fight to get Tina. First just to foster even though her being deaf and everyone she would come to know knowing ASL. Then the adoption and the prejudice we faced there. Such an uphill battle. But I’d fight it 20 times over, every day of my life if I had to. I love my baby daughter but it was sure hard to get her.

hugs

Comment by Michelle Styles — February 7, 2019 @ 15:00

• Amen! Many happy hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 7, 2019 @ 15:51

• hi Michelle, you are exactely right: growing up children is not to be parents-centered — it is Kid–centered. Two great moms for four great children.
          I would propose to add just one adjective: “trusted”, which comes with being respected.
          Thanks, Michelle, for telling everyone, how easy growing up children really is.
          But what about parent , that haven’t been given these essentials by their parents, relatives and teachers?

Comment by m-iles — February 7, 2019 @ 16:02

• Maybe we need parenting classes. We have marriage classes, driving classes, pregnancy classes, birthing classes. Why not how to be a parent class?

The secret answer is be ready to be involved in everything and place your children first in everything. These are little lives you are responsible for. We parents need to act like we are indeed responsible.

That is why I always hated it takes a village to raise a child. No it takes parents willing to sacrifice thier time, energy and not just thier money for the betterment of the children they are raising. No one can love a child like a parent can. They have to be willing to love them.

hugs

Comment by Michelle Styles — February 7, 2019 @ 16:18

• I think, this would not help, cause one cannot learn Empathy and Love.
              Emotional neglect cannot be overcome by thories. i know what I am talking about, cause this was exactely my childhood: died parents before I was 5. then I was for more than 11 Month in a hospital with Nuns, got An ID-card to west-Germany British sector and was taken into a family of catholic folks. And emotional neglect continued. In school we had 2 hours of religious education, that meant, learning of bibl,e verses by hear as well as learning parts of the catholic catechism alsso by heart, cause I mentally objected to learn that staff, I was one of the victims of every religious education-lesson: We were asked to coluntarily commit, if we hadn’t learned that staff. They who confessed, were punished with five hits with a ruler through the left hand. They who didnt confess, but were caught unvoluntaryily , were hit 10 times with that ruler , or sometimes with a cane. Some hit the fingers, which hurt badly, some even hit the fingers even with a slanting ruler.

This is, where my hate for the catholic church comes from.
              And my foster-Parents where all pro for that. On Sunday we had to attend the Sunday-scholl in the church, anotheroccasion to get on the list for punishments, causee the priest asked the atttendant question, he, or she, that couldn’t answer was put on a list of 5 hits with a ruler or stick for not knowing the right answer. That could mean more than 5 hits with the ruler, if the priest was in a bad mood.

We loathed those teachers so deeply , that one day, when a 60 year old woman-teacher stormed through the corridors in the class, one of the kids from the local orphanage stepp his foot out the teacher fell overr it – and broke her leg. They knews who that had been, He was slapped in his face that his face was heavily bruised and bloody – and they sent him to another school.

Know what my foster-parents said:? They should have stoned him. That reminds me on the Kidfucking priests, that get absolution every time, they come for it.

Emotional Neglection.-

One never gets that out of ones skin. So the priests and religious teachers, have that, what is called love, knocked out out of my fundus of behaviour .
              Besides hate, e m p a t h y is my strongest positive feeling for others – and that is fuelled by all the hate, I carry since my childhood.

Comment by m-iles — February 8, 2019 @ 17:16

• It is not worth carry the hate. I know this well. I hope you find a way to leave the hate even though you can’t forget what is done. You can with practice and desire learn to leave the hate outside so it does not become who you are.

Hugs

Comment by Michelle Styles — February 8, 2019 @ 17:24

• Hello Michelle. Maybe this is not the time, but I have always admired you the fact you could put what happened to you behind you.

I have to admit reading what Miles went through and I had already know what the Nazis did to him and his mother, and thinking of how my own past haunts me, yet you some how seem to have risen above what would have destroyed most people to become a wonderful grand person and wonderful mother / wife. Not to say you were not a wonderful person before what happened , but most people I have know could not have gone beyond that. I admit I struggle not to let my childhood color everything I do and all things in my mind. Some times Michelle I simply scream in my head. Yet you seem to have found a peace in your self. I admire that, as I have always thought highly of you since we first met online. You really are a special person. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 8, 2019 @ 20:09

• Hello Miles. Oh good man. You have shared parts of your past with me before. This time you share even more with all of us. I do understand why you hate the Catholic religion and those that hurt you so. I do understand that. I also understand why you carry those memories and why they haunt you still, as the nightmares I have haunt me. In a small way I was luckier than you in that I was able to go to a regular school. At least in the beginning school years they knew I was abused and took care to be very gentle with me, even to the point of often letting me go behind the bookshelves in the library to stay by my self. This was in my 6 year old 1st grade through my 12 year old 6th grade. My point is only that I had adults who knew I was abused and did what they could to help me, even though they never stopped the abuse. You my wonderful friend never had that and I am so sorry about that. You never had any adult try to help you from that abuse.

I do not blame you at all for you anger or your focus on the Catholic church. They really did you wrong. I can understand why empathy is so important to you. Empathy is what gave our ancestors the advantage to go from a very minor species to what we are today. We did not have claws nor fangs nor really strong muscles, but we could empathize with each and so help each other. Sadly many humans forgot that important part of us in the name of their religions.

I can see why you have taken the god of empathy as your moniker. Best wishes Miles. You survived! You are here despite all attempts to stop you. You deserve credit. I still think you spending your adult life as a teacher to children is such a wonderful thing, especially after what you went through. Instead of being hateful, you decided to give of your self to the new generations. That is a wonderful testament to you , sir! Many Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 8, 2019 @ 19:57

2. Good Heavens, are you trying to give Betsy de Vos apoplexy, telling her the children of same sex parents do better in school, why not in her schools they won’t since they will be reserved for the thinkers (the rich), and the doers (the poor) can have sub standard education at inner city schools who get no financial help. I can hear the flapping hands of the evangelicals that you would even suggest thhat intelligent life might come out of a gay home.Go spank yourself for upsetting those gentile folks so.
    Hugs

Comment by davidprosser — February 7, 2019 @ 15:21

• I’ll give Scottie hugs for that not spankings. All those evangelicals and haters can piss his ass not spank it.

Scottie I’ll protect you!

hugs

Comment by Michelle Styles — February 7, 2019 @ 15:26

• Grand. Wish I had had you in my childhood. Maybe I also would have an education and not have the night mares I do. I sure do love what you have accomplished in your life and the grand chance you have given both of your children. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 7, 2019 @ 16:01

• Thank you David. I will go get the popcorn ready for Betsy Devos’s melt down that some kids escaped her plan to dumb them down and ship them to Christian schools. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 7, 2019 @ 15:55

• DeVos? She’ll just ignore and deny. These people don’t go by evidence. That’s why they reject evolution and global warming.

Comment by Infidel753 — February 7, 2019 @ 16:22

• Yes you are correct. So how do we set them aside and move our selves in to the future? Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 7, 2019 @ 16:59

• Same way we got sodomy laws overturned, won on gay marriage, and achieved a massive shift in public attitudes. Work, perseverance, and a determination never to give in to defeatism.

In this case the hard part has really already been done. DeVos and the other Trumplings only hold power due to a freak election outcome caused by the Electoral College and foreign meddling — they’re trying to enforce taboos which the majority of society has already outgrown. Getting them out in future elections will be a lot easier than winning on sodomy laws or marriage was back when the majority of public opinion was on the wrong side.

We won big last November and empowered Pelosi and company to turn up the heat on Trump and thwart much of what he’s doing. In two years we’ll sweep them away entirely. It will be a very different story when Kamala Harris or Beto O’Rourke is appointing cabinet officers.

Comment by Infidel753 — February 7, 2019 @ 18:22

• While we are living through it, the Trump administration looks like a disaster. From the perspective of ten or fifteen years from now, it will look like a speed bump.

Comment by Infidel753 — February 7, 2019 @ 19:31

3. I do think this is somewhat true. Also, people who have fertility problems, are a bit older when they have children, having a stay-at-home parent, etc…. There are so many factors that go into raising children. Do some benefit more because they were planned for and not an oops? Probably. But, there are so many more reasons and I am a stay-at-home mom, raising two children from older lesbian moms, so….

Comment by koolaidmoms — February 7, 2019 @ 16:19

• Hello KAM, but you clearly show you are into and attentive to those two children. That is a clear point that is essential to everything I have read. You are making a huge difference.

On a personal note. I was an abused child. My adoptive mother’s parents made a point to move near us to take care of me. Every weekend they took me to their home to keep me safe. Every weekend on Friday afternoon they would pick me up, and take me to their house. Every late Sunday they would take me back to where I lived. They were the stars in my life that kept me alive and kept me sane. Before he died my paternal grandfather told me if he had been younger and not so ill he would have fought harder for me, he said he would never have let them hurt you. But he was too old and ill and I was too young to defend myself.

My point is if you do what you can in the interest of those children with out bigotry then the world for them is open. You will help a new generation to move us to the future. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 7, 2019 @ 16:55

4. Thank you. I understand.

Comment by koolaidmoms — February 7, 2019 @ 17:03

5. Interesting. I didn’t realize that. Are there any theories as to why that is the case? Once again, I totally didn’t realize that!

Comment by Brendan Birth — February 7, 2019 @ 19:54

• Hello Brendan. From the comments it seems that parental involvement and and the fact that children just do not happen by chance in gay relationships. Other studies have shown similar results ( not counting the faked study done by Mark Regnerus who admits his study had major flaws ) the difference is this study was the first to do an entire population as a whole. They took all the children instead of sample groups. Now I wont say that opposite sex couples can not give their children as much time, attention, or support. Many do. However the truth is many male -female couples have children with out the planning for them or the ability to give to them what children should have. Many times M/F couples have “accidental births”. A term I personally hate. I hope this helps answer your question. In some M/F couples one of the couples will really not want children but they end up having them.
      Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 8, 2019 @ 06:15

• Yeah I think that answers my question.

I hate the term “accidential birth” as well. But it does happen. And that can come with struggles too. Those struggles don’t seem to really exist in same-sex relationships. That makes a difference.

Comment by Brendan Birth — February 8, 2019 @ 07:11

• Hello Brendan. I look forward to a time when every child will be wanted, every parent will be so willingly, only those who wish to carry a child will do so, and that any one who has a child that they do not wish to have or choose to raise can give that child to caring loving adults who will raise the child as well as possible. I look forward to a country where the needs of children are a first priority and the assistance needed is provided. The things I mentioned would have made a huge difference in my own childhood. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 8, 2019 @ 08:00

• I agree, Scottie. I hope for the same sort of thing to happen one day. I too hope for a day when every child is wanted. If that day comes, our whole world will be better off for it.

Comment by Brendan Birth — February 8, 2019 @ 08:28

• Scottie is 100% right. I fought very hard for my daughter. First to foster her and then harder to adopt her. I’d do it again if i had to. Most same sex couples face not only the battle of normal adoption but bigotry against them even being in the process at all. We have to really want a child to endure the hate and insults thrown our way.

I believe any two parents who truly want a child will be great parents. My mom and dad were great parents. But they wanted us kids. A child that is truly wanted and fought for will receive the attention and support it needs. I also dislike “accidental pregnancy” because if you CHOOSE to have sex then you understand the risk that you may become pregnant.

But even an “unplanned or even unwanted child” can be loved by good parents. They have to understand they are responisible for this little life and not all take that responsibility so well. We probably need parenting classes to be honest. Kids don’t need your money. They need your time which is a far more valuable commodity as your time is truly limited.

hugs

Comment by Michelle Styles — February 8, 2019 @ 08:35

• Hello Michelle. Well said, very well said. Congratulations to you and Sarah and best wishes to all of your family. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 8, 2019 @ 10:19

• I wish when you were younger the bigotry would have not been. You’d have been a excellent dad. You have so much you could have taught sons and daughters. It’s real sad so many kids were homeless even when you were a young man and yet good people just like you couldn’t foster or adopt because of who you love.

Very sad and I’m happy it is changing. Ever so slowly but it is.

Comment by Michelle Styles — February 8, 2019 @ 10:35

• Hello Michelle. Thank you. I was nearly homeless. Growing up in a dysfunctional abusive home where fear dominated and abuse of all kinds could erupt at any time. I spent as little time in the house as possible and when in the house stayed in my room as much as possible. I still have nightmares of my childhood and even though the worst offenders are long dead they haunt me in my dreams. Yes Ron and I were talking today of how different our lives would have been in today’s climate. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 8, 2019 @ 12:22

• It is a problem of the Influence of he churches; that is, why they are so strictly against birhcontrol and especially abortions: In 1. Mose 9:7 there stands written.”Live long and prosper.” So “accidential Birth” is, what the strongly wish of the Churches is for their believers. For the churches only big numbers, for preservation of power, does count – and not the health and happiness of the kids. – not even the parents.
        Once again we see that nonsense, which rible-biters stated ind their holy-Hell-books,
        They are religions for the welfare and the richness of the cleargy and the wealthy only – and not for their believers, which get fobbed of with empty promises, like eternal live and heaven – and for sinners: With burning in Hell forever, together with them kidfucking priests.
        Here we have the big adventage, that same-sex-couples have: As they belong to a hategroup of the official religions, most of them are apposed to what the lying clergy preaches and lives as often hated examples for their believers.
        So, what same-sex-couples do, is, that they live more to their Instincts, which is of course, to love ones offsprings, and give them all possible help to have a joyful youth and a good start into life.

It can truely be said , that not the m/w are the best famililies for the societies, but it is the families, with the least influence of the churches on family-life and upbringing their offspring!!!

And it is the influence of the Churches in politics – and vice versa – for their and the politicions retention of power.
        We right now see that with big sorrow in the bad influence that Churches and Repukes take in the education of their Students – fairytales against SCIENCE!

Comment by m-iles — February 8, 2019 @ 10:32

• Damn well said!!

Comment by Michelle Styles — February 8, 2019 @ 10:41

• well thank you Michelle, that shows me, that my insights, that I try to live now for more than 60 years, are not as weird as catholics tell me repeatedly.
            The farther away from any religion – the better for kids, parents, and the whole society.

Comment by m-iles — February 8, 2019 @ 12:09

• My kids know my faith. But they will find what they believe on thier own. I age we should not brain wash a shield into believing. As a parent we need to teach them to find answers to even though questions for themselves.
              Hugs
              I do hope you find peace in your days. Not the kind that comes from religion but the kind that comes from learning to live yourself and accept what is done can’t be changed and it helped shape us. It can destroy us if we let it. It damn near destroyed me.

Comment by Michelle Styles — February 8, 2019 @ 17:27

• Hello Michelle. Before I got to this comment I answered an earlier one where I mentioned how I respected you for finding peace after what you have been through. Here you answer that question in a way and I agree. What has gotten me through my life is simply I can not change the past but I can make the future. Thank you and I wish the best for you. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 8, 2019 @ 20:15

• I do believe that getting past our past is by finding the path of least resistance toward what we want to be. Oh I’ve struggled and still do with my past. I even recently checked myself in because I felt unsafe inside my own head. But I refocus when I see my wife and children. I refocus on what I want to be for them. It helps to find something or someone who reminds you that you’re a great person, you’re worth fighting for and you’re worth loving. When it gets hard look to Ron and remember he believes in you and that is worth fighting for. Build your future on those who love you and not those who hated you. 🙂

I guess if i had a secret to share it’s that one.
                  hugs
                  One glorious day of love at a time my friend. You are loved and you are worth loving and fighting for!

Comment by Michelle Styles — February 27, 2019 @ 10:35

• Hello Miles. Very true the organized religions are mostly about drawing members to the pews so they can fill the coffers with money. It is not about this life or souls, it is about cash. Have to keep the lights on and the pastors paid. Then you have the huge mega churches and the prosperity gospel ones, and the Catholic church with its hoards of wealth. I am not sure about the baptist but they have to pay the upper echelon also. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 8, 2019 @ 12:18

6. One of the arguments against same-sex marriage and same-sex parenting is this: “Think about the children.” If one wants to make that argument, use that argument against the abortion on demand crowd.

Comment by ragnarsbhut — February 26, 2019 @ 16:21

• Hello Ragnar. I am not sure I understand what you are trying to say. But as the study shows there is not a detriment to children being raised by same sex couples. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 26, 2019 @ 16:29

7. Scottie, a lot of people seem to believe that having 2 parents of the same sex is bad for children. That is why I mentioned my thinking as to the argument to think about the children as being absurd. Try showing these studies to people who object to same-sex parenting and see what their reactions are.

Comment by ragnarsbhut — February 26, 2019 @ 16:37

• Hello Ragnar. I agree that showing them the evidence they are wrong should change their minds. Sadly we already know it won’t. These people have been using the same flawed study by Mark Regnerus called New Family Structures Study. The study was seriously flawed and debunked. It was so badly done because they started with the conclusion they wanted to show and then looked for evidence they could stuff in that would show that. However when the fundamentalist and evangelicals were shown how bad the study really was, they clung to it because it showed what they wanted to believe. They dismiss anything that doesn’t agree with their fantasy. The study was debunked in 2012 and they still use it. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 26, 2019 @ 16:47

8. Scottie, using a study that was debunked seems to be counterintuitive.

Comment by ragnarsbhut — February 26, 2019 @ 16:56

• Hello Ragnar. Yes but as it is what you do if you want to prove your point regardless of what is really true. So as they really want it to be true, they use a debunked study. It is like denying evolution which is the most extensively studied theory ever. It is dishonest of them, but they do it. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 26, 2019 @ 17:12