February 18, 2019

Fast Company: The major source of plastic pollution you’ve probably never heard of

Filed under: News — Scottie @ 06:28

The major source of plastic pollution you’ve probably never heard of
Fast Company

“Nurdles” may sound cute but they pose a huge risk to the marine environment. Also known as “mermaid tears”, these small plastic pellets are a feedstock in the plastic industry. Instead of being converted into household items, many end up in the ocean, collecting toxins on their surfaces and being eaten by marine wildlife. Not so cute now, are they? Nurdles are the building blocks for most plastic goods, from single-use water bottles to televison sets. These small pellets–normally between 1mm Read the full story

Shared from Apple News

Sent from my iPad,Hugs and Best wishes,
Scottie

1. You may have seen it as well, but there was a documentary awhile back that showed a beach covered with dead fish and after opening them up, the reason was plain to see … they had consumed bits and pieces of plastic. And there was so much floating in the ocean, it looked like a man-made island. So sad. And so preventable if PEOPLE weren’t so lazy.

Comment by Nan — February 18, 2019 @ 12:02

• Hello Nan. I got interested in the subject after seeing videos of sea animals being caught in plastics or eating so much it kills them. The idea of baby whales and dolphins along with turtles and a host of others dying due to our not being able to keep our pollution / trash out of their homes is sickening to me. From then I read about the tiny micro pieces of plastics that are in almost all fish and making them toxic and even kill them. I just posted about https://scottiestoybox.com/2019/02/15/cnn-dispatches-from-the-bottom-of-belizes-blue-hole/ and they wee happy at the little amount of plastic they found there. I was like there shouldn’t have found any! Like I said, Ron and I have decided even if our park has no program for recycling plastics we will do so on our own. We just have to find a place to take the plastics to. We have found a space to put a bin to collect the items, we plan on the weekend to get the bin. I wish we had done this years ago, like we did when it was a curb side service. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 18, 2019 @ 12:15

• There’s no doubt every little bit helps. It’s just too bad you guys are in the minority. Most people don’t give it a second thought. And even more seem to care less!

I was disappointed when our recycling company discontinued picking up plastics. Of course, we’ve all read the reasons why (China). But that doesn’t make it any easier to accept. We definitely recycle plastic soft drink bottles so I suppose we’re helping in some small way.

Comment by Nan — February 18, 2019 @ 12:22

• As you say Nan, every bit helps. I am not sure if we humans can turn this around. However I seen a video of a young man in the Scandinavian countries who made a device that actually vacuums up our trash from the ocean. Now we have to find a place to put it. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 18, 2019 @ 13:03

2. Brilliantly written post. I came across the problem of nurdles while researching an article on plastic pollution in the ocean and was shocked by some of the figures. We need to seriously reduce our plastic production if we want there to still be life in the ocean by midcentury. Thanks again for the great post. Here’s my piece on plastics if anyone wants to look further into this 😁 https://adambolandblog.com/2019/03/04/the-new-frontier-plastic-pollution-in-the-ocean/

Comment by Small Change — May 13, 2019 @ 12:45

• Hello Small Change. Yes we have to do what we can. Welcome to my Toy Box. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 13, 2019 @ 15:30

• Hello Scottie. Thank you very much, will be looking forward to the next post. You be well too (hugs and kisses)

Comment by Small Change — May 13, 2019 @ 18:28