February 20, 2019

Filed under: Bigotry, Children, Criminal, Fascism, Harm, Hate, News, Political, Questions, Religion — Scottie @ 15:40

Tell me would these same republican lawmakers be pushing a bill that would offer the teaching of the Koran or the Vedas scriptures of the Hindus?  No they would freak out and block it at all costs.    This is again Christian privilege sponsored by Republican Christians.    Hugs

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports:

“The Bible is simply a part of the fabric of life,” Baker told members of a House committee Tuesday. The committee voted 8-2 to forward the legislation to the full House for further debate.

Christian activist Chuck Stetson, a founder of the Bible Literacy Project that promotes the academic study of the religious text, said the Bible was the origin of many modern Western values and should form an ­essential component of any young person’s education. “The Koran doesn’t come up in the plays of Shakespeare,” Stetson said.

1. I have no words. The Koran is not quoted in Shakespeare? So…. ? How is that a valid argument? I can’t even…

Comment by Lindi Roze — February 20, 2019 @ 19:03

• Hello Lindi. Even worse is the fact that it is mentioned by Shakespeare. I think it is Othello. So another christian lie as they push their favored myth. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 20, 2019 @ 19:37

2. Funny, but it is not and never has been “a part of the fabric” of MY life! Nor my children’s nor my grandchildren’s! As you said, if they plan to teach one, they must also include the Torah, the Quran, and every other religious tome. Have these dolts never heard the concept of “Separation of Church and State”? Do they not realize that our government and by extension our public schools are SECULAR??? And are they unaware that parents who wish their children to receive a religious, ie, fairy tale, education can send their children to a parochial school instead of public school??? AAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHH!

Hugs Scottie!

Comment by jilldennison — February 20, 2019 @ 23:52

• Hello Jill. Well said, very well said. But they don’t care. Part of what makes Christianity so bad is the vicious requirement to convert all others and to force their beliefs on others. It is not good enough for them to have such stuff at home, to have the right to have private schools, to have their church teach their belief at any time, no they must force it on your child and your family. Maybe they do it to make themselves feel good about the lie of their faith. Maybe it really comes down to misery loves company. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 21, 2019 @ 06:44

• Yeah, “the Great Comission”. What good is teaching “for God so loved the world…” if there is nothing but hate in your holier than thou actions?

Comment by Lindi Roze — February 21, 2019 @ 10:31

• What you say reminds me of an incident long forgotten, or put on the shelves of my ancient memory. Long time ago, my husband’s cousin, Julia, was my best friend. For years and years, we did everything together and even if we had been together most of the day, that night would find us talking on the phone way into the night. Then, I left my husband and filed for divorce. A few short days later she wrote me a letter saying that her husband told her that since I wasn’t a Christian, unless I was willing to convert, she was no longer allowed to be my friend! Long story short, we stopped speaking for years, and she eventually stood up to her hubby and we became friends again, although never as close as we once were. She has since stopped speaking to me again for my political views … actually for my ideology of all people being equal, for her company refused to hire a gay man, and I wrote a post about it, which ended the friendship permanently. Oh well … sorry, but bigotry in any form is unacceptable to me.

Comment by jilldennison — February 21, 2019 @ 20:00

• Sorry you had to go through that. I’ve also lost “friends” over politics and my revised “faith practice.” Oh well. It’s a shame its come to this. I’m afraid to think oh much worse it can get. Sad.

Comment by Lindi Roze — February 22, 2019 @ 02:00

• It’s in the past. It hurt for a bit, but such is life. Few friends stay in our circle forever. If we don’t find ways to work through the issues that divide us, it can conceivably get a lot worse. Trump and his cronies find it to their advantage to keep our society divided, so until they are out of power, the chasm will likely only get wider. Sigh.

Comment by jilldennison — February 22, 2019 @ 17:06

• Hello Jill. Thank you for sharing. Sorry your friend felt she had to obey a man like a child instead of being her own person. I am sorry she couldn’t see her religion was institutionalized bigotry. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 22, 2019 @ 05:25

• Yes, I should have realized when she bowed to the ‘orders’ of her husband, but that was a long time ago and I’ve moved on. I’ve come to the conclusion that religion is at the base of most evil in this world. Hugs!!!

Comment by jilldennison — February 23, 2019 @ 00:42

• Well, religions should definitely be taught as part of the history curriculum where it fits in appropriately. This is what they did in NY when I went through and I thought it was very valuable to understand the basic ideas of the major world religions plus it have context to the historic events we were reading about.

I also think it would be a good thing to offer a comparative religion class as an elective, comparative mythology, and a bible as literature class as an elective could be valuable too if taught correctly.

Comment by consoledreader — February 21, 2019 @ 08:21

• “Plus it have” should be “plus it gave context”

Comment by consoledreader — February 21, 2019 @ 08:22

• Hello Consoledreader. I can understand the benefits of a real comparative religion class, but I do not think it is worth the time and money it would take now. At a time when schools are financially stretched past the breaking point and cutting out music / PE / other electives I just don’t think making the effort for doing it in high school or younger is a good idea. I think college is the place to start that. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 21, 2019 @ 08:44

• Yes, I understand as I am a teacher (librarian) and my district is cutting a lot of positions this year unfortunately.

Of course in some districts the money might be there; it differs from place to place, which is one of the big issues in education. I was just making a general statement that I think there can be a lot of value in a comparative religion class and a bible as literature class as well if offered and taught correctly.

Comment by consoledreader — February 21, 2019 @ 09:57

• Your comment reminded me of something I experienced many years ago … when I was a Christian. I took a World Religions course in college but DROPPED it after about two weeks. Why? Because Christianity was lumped in with other religions. What? How dare they!!?!

Just one more example of the indoctrination that takes place within the Christian religion.

Comment by Nan — February 21, 2019 @ 12:48

• Were you very religious at the time?

I imagine there must have been plenty of Christians taking the class.

Comment by consoledreader — February 21, 2019 @ 16:24

• YES! Very religious. In the years I was servin’ the Lawd, I was gung-ho, head-first, into the deep end of the pool. So anything outside the “holy word” was pretty much verboten.

As to other Christians in the class? Have no idea. It’s possible the instructor asked on the first night, but I don’t recall.

Comment by Nan — February 21, 2019 @ 17:21

• Hello Nan. If I may add something to your conversation with out really butting in. I have seen you in different comment sections, and been corrected by you when needed, I would be fearful of you as a “gung-ho, head-first, into the deep end of the pool” Christian. The idea has a nightmare terrifying connotation to it in my mind. 😉😉😘😘 Love you. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 21, 2019 @ 17:28

• Well … maybe I wasn’t quite THAT bad … 😉 But I WAS pretty sold-out to the whole idea. Amazing how things change, isn’t it?

Comment by Nan — February 21, 2019 @ 17:38

• Nan I am very glad to have met you, I love your book, and I am glad when I met you was after your believing days! I remember reading your book, going back over things thinking “I did not know that” and “how come no one talks about this”. I loved your approach to “the pastor who shall not be named”, and got infuriated at his dismissing and insulting behavior to you. You would have been a formidable Christian with your ability to grasp and retain information. Glad you found your way out of those caves. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 21, 2019 @ 17:45

• Glad you found your way out of those caves. ME TOO!!! Many {{{<3}}} back to you!

Comment by Nan — February 21, 2019 @ 17:56

• Let’s try that again … {{{💖💖}}}

Comment by Nan — February 21, 2019 @ 17:58

• Religious history, as long as it includes most major world’s religions, is one thing and I would not argue against offering it, though I might argue against it being mandatory. But teaching religious doctrine, teaching any religious tome as if it were fact-based history, is a definite no-no. Children may get their religious education at home or in church, but schools are for learning how to think for oneself, learning the things a person needs to succeed in this world, not mythology.

Comment by jilldennison — February 21, 2019 @ 20:19

• And in Florida they can even get government vouchers now. 😡

Comment by Lindi Roze — February 21, 2019 @ 10:25

3. Yeah, this is where Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Worship fall in a flaming heap. Others are only allowed to be ‘free’ if they believe the same things those in power believe. :/

Comment by acflory — February 21, 2019 @ 00:28

• Hello Meeka. Yes so true. I am stunned that these religious groups worked so hard to get their most ardent followers into our government mostly unseen by the rest of us. Now they have the power and we are playing defense. They are basically an American Taliban or the USA version of ISIS Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 21, 2019 @ 06:47

• Yeah, fundamentalist anything is bad. 😦

Comment by acflory — February 21, 2019 @ 07:14

• Yes, Scottie. Religious extremists. Can they say the words “radical Christian extremists?”. When are people going to make the connection.

Comment by Lindi Roze — February 21, 2019 @ 10:39

• Hello Lindi. I think the average person doesn’t see it because they are not so effected by it. Also these groups work hard to mask and hide their true intent. They cloak their hate in words like freedom. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 21, 2019 @ 11:09

4. OMG WHAT AN IDIOT. This is someone who has NO IDEA what is actually in Shakespeare. Like ROMAN MYTHOLOGY. Why not teaching this again? But AS RELIGION?

Also, the Koran is BASED ON THE BIBLE. If he had ever read it, he would KNOW THAT.

Comment by silverapplequeen — February 21, 2019 @ 05:23

• Hello SAQ. I love it. I can just see them if Roman myths / deities were taught. Holy Jupiter. The sad thing is most of the believers do not understand their bible stories were borrowed from other religions int he area. So many times I read where a believer says with out their god we wouldn’t have moral codes. They have no idea of the Code of Hammurabi to name just one. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 21, 2019 @ 07:06

5. Actually as I understand the issue you already can teach the Bible in public schools. Here is the ACLU on this matter:

As long as you’re not promoting a religion, but rather teaching it as a legitimate academic subject. The tricky part I think is finding teachers trained to do just that and not proselytize.

However personally I have no issue with the Bible being taught as a voluntary elective so long as the focus is academic and not advocating for one religion over the other, which can be a very tricky balance to strike.

Comment by consoledreader — February 21, 2019 @ 07:12

• Hello Consoledreader. There is no problem with teaching ABOUT the bible as literature or such and you are correct. The problem is they do not intend that and it is not taught that way anywhere these laws get pushed through. It is a code game, a dog whistle , about getting their god back in the schools. If it was not just to teach their god and evangelize to kids they would teach a class on “world religions” instead of singling out the Christian bible. My question is which bible they want the kids forced to read? There are a bunch of different ones? Let the infighting begin. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 21, 2019 @ 08:37

6. I can answer you question with one word.

hugs 🙂

Comment by Michelle Styles — February 21, 2019 @ 08:51

• Hello Michelle. You are so very correct. As you have seen the good areas in the world full of Muslims you may like to check out the Muslim community in upper state NY that is constantly under attack , yes violent attack, by white christian men trying to defend their country. These are American Muslims just trying to live and raise their children safety. Now I do not like or support segregation but I can understand why they started this community.

I have to run to a doctor so I will answer the rest of your comments when I get back. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 21, 2019 @ 09:00