February 20, 2019

Seems I was wrong on this. I feel for those who are really victims of hate crimes as this makes it harder to be believed.

Filed under: Asshole / Jerk, Bigotry, Criminal, Harm, Hate, News, Political, Questions, Race — Scottie @ 20:16

1. He’s only one guy. I don’t think it will make that big of a difference overall. JMO

Comment by Nan — February 20, 2019 @ 20:25

• Hello Nan. I am following the comments on twitter and on different news outlets. The MAGA people are having a grand time with this, claiming they are always the victim of fake news generated by hateful liberals. Seems they totally do not care about the white supremacist Coast Guard guy, he doesn’t represent them they claim, but this black gay man seems to represent all liberals. Go figure. However I agree with you. He is one man with a problem, and now his problem is a legal issue as well. I don’t know what made him do it ( if he did which seems he did ) but in addition to any other penalties he needs mental health counseling / treatment. He destroyed his career over this. It makes no sense to me. I am totally bummed out. It seems we work so hard to fight bigotry and then something like this puts us backwards and makes the fight harder. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 20, 2019 @ 20:32

• I heard it had something to do with his career — he felt he wasn’t getting enough attention. Well he’s got plenty now!

Comment by Nan — February 20, 2019 @ 21:54

• I agree. I am emotionally spent. Its a shame about Jussie Smollett. Unfortunately the story will twist, turn and be magnified to take us backward in efforts to protect the rights of marginalized groups in this country. I agreed that in addition to criminal charges for the hoax, it appears he could benefit from a mental health assessment. As far as the “domestic terorrist”, we could look at the facts but Statistics and facts don’t seem matter to these MAGA people. It seems like it is hate that drives that train. Scary times we are living in. their true colors become more evident each day. Heaven help us.

Comment by Lindi Roze — February 21, 2019 @ 03:48

• Hello Lindi. Well said! You put it very well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 21, 2019 @ 07:00

2. I was very disappointed in him. He took advantage of a lot of good people’s feelings and support. Shame on him.

Comment by maryplumbago — February 20, 2019 @ 20:38

• Hello Mary. I agree. I think there must be a emotional / mental illness component to this kind of thing. Why risk everything when things are going well for you? I hope he gets the help he needs along with punishment for the mess he caused. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 20, 2019 @ 20:41

3. Sounds like a publicity stunt.

Comment by silverapplequeen — February 21, 2019 @ 05:36

• Hello SAQ. Yes sadly it seems it was a stunt to increase his popularity in his mind by being a victim. Being a victim doesn’t make you popular, but he seems to see only the press coverage he will get. Being a victim is a life time of emotions and memories you keep replaying forever. I just read he was arrest. He has ruined his career. He has sullied his name. All for what he thought would be more fame. Well he has it now, he is infamous. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 21, 2019 @ 07:15

4. This guy’s an idjit for doing this.

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — February 21, 2019 @ 08:20

• Hello Inspired. YES! but his need for attention just cost a lot of real victims and gave the MAGAt crowd the talking points they wanted. Tweet after tweet from them are claiming to be the real victims and how the liberals / democrats make up fake news to harass them good god fearing white people. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 21, 2019 @ 08:32

5. I am hoping we are not wrong. But ultimately if it is a hoax he will have harmed other victims. I also put the media on the spotlight here again. They have a narrative they wish to push and be damned facts just run with the story. I do hope this rush to be first without verifying any facts ends soon. I too want to believe victims but maybe if the media was more sensative to victims they’d have waited a while before reporting this. It’s respectful to the victim allowing sometime to heal and allows the story to unfold a bit before reporting it. Another case of rush to be first rather than pause to be right.

hugs

Comment by Michelle Styles — February 21, 2019 @ 08:57

• Hello Michelle. Yes you are correct. Part of the problem is the need to be first to break a story. Another part is the far left / far right places that spout “news” to support a view point. I would hope the more “main stream” news would be more stable than they are. Money is the big factor for them I think, being first means more money if they are correct. Still I am upset over this situation, real victims are being hurt by this. I really do not care your political / religious bias left or right, hurting others, assaulting them, bullying them is wrong. It is wrong for everyone. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 21, 2019 @ 10:56