February 21, 2019

Mashable: The world’s largest bee has been rediscovered, and it’s HUGE

Filed under: News — Scottie @ 10:09

The world’s largest bee has been rediscovered, and it’s HUGE
Mashable

A photographer took the first-ever images of a living Wallace’s giant bee and they might haunt you forever. Read the full story

Shared from Apple News

Sent from my iPad,Hugs and Best wishes,
Scottie

1. Cool.

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — February 21, 2019 @ 10:27

• Hello Inspired. I seen this article on my Ipad while I was getting my allergy shots. I was thinking about the sting a bee like that could give you. Ouch! Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 21, 2019 @ 11:02

2. Wow.

I remember seeing a winged insect when I was a kid, it must have been 5-6 inches long, looked like some sort of wasp thing, it was on a tree just close enough we could touch it, neither I or my friend who was with me dared to try. I have not seen anything like it before, or since. Always wondered what that thing was.

Comment by shelldigger — February 21, 2019 @ 11:02

• Coulda been what I call a “Cicada Killer”. They’re HUGE wasps that catch cicadas and lay their eggs in them so their young can eat them when they hatch. They burrow in the ground and live there. They’re scary looking, but pretty harmless unless you’d be stupid enough to grab and squeeze one. But, I assume that’s not an impossible scenario seeing as Trump has 35% of the country worshiping each word he says.

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — February 21, 2019 @ 11:08

• Hello Shelldigger. Amazing. I am not down with bugs so I would have peed myself if it had moved towards me. I am always amazed by the things they find in nature. Ark is slowly opening my eyes to the beauty of spiders ( very slowly ) and I can proudly say I nearly walked in to a tinny bit of spider hanging from a single web string in our carport and I left it alone. I did not freak out, simply moved sideways and left it. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 21, 2019 @ 11:13

• It’s would take FAR more than looking at Ark’s pictures for me to find any “beauty” in spiders!!! Yuck!

Comment by Nan — February 21, 2019 @ 14:40

• Hello Nan. I agree. I still cringe especially when he does the big ugly ones. But I admit I got so use to his crab spiders I don’t freak quite as easy as I use to around them. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 21, 2019 @ 16:47

• Well after some internet digging, I think it was one of these:

I generally leave spiders to do their thing, I’ll even get a piece of paper and encourage them to walk on it, then release them outdoors if I find one in the house. Unless it’s a Brown Recluse, I kill them on sight if they catch them inside. The ones in the shop/wellhouse I leave alone.

Comment by shelldigger — February 22, 2019 @ 08:02

• Yeah, those are pretty harmless. The Cicada Killer is MUCH thicker and bulkier. Also pretty harmless, unless you’re a cicada.

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — February 22, 2019 @ 08:09

• Well when I was 10 or 11, or thereabouts, I wasn’t so sure that thing was harmless lol. It looked quite the opposite. It was huge.

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a Cicada Killer, but I’ll be keeping an eye out now.

Comment by shelldigger — February 22, 2019 @ 08:13

• Hello Shelldigger. For most of my life I have had an unreasonable fear of spiders. They would completely freak me out no matter the size nor species. I have gotten better in the last few years, managing to hold the freak outs down to half hysteria. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 22, 2019 @ 11:07

3. Very impressive critter. I’m glad it’s about as far away from me as it could possible be[e].

That’s a major problem with the tropics — the bugs are entirely too large.

Comment by Infidel753 — February 21, 2019 @ 21:06

• Hello Infidel. Your comment makes me think of how large the insects got in the past when there was a lot more oxygen in the air. That would be terrifying to me. I always wondered why bugs especially spiders freak me out. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — February 22, 2019 @ 05:30