March 15, 2019

Mother Fatally Stabbed Her 11-Year-Old Daughter in Order to Send Her to Heaven

Filed under: Asshole / Jerk, Children, Criminal, Family, Fascism, Harm, News, Questions, Religion, Sex — Scottie @ 12:48

No sense typing it out, you all know what I think already!  As always there is more at the link.  Hugs

An Orlando mother has been arrested for stabbing her 11-year-old daughter multiple times until the girl’s death… under the mere suspicion that she was having sex.

The alleged violence, the mother said in an affidavit, was a way to make sure her daughter would go to Heaven.

Investigators said in the arrest report that Rivera admitted to killing her daughter to prevent her from having sexual relationships with men.

According to the affidavit, the mother said she believed her daughter was having sex with men because she smiled “different.”“Rivera stated she believed with her actions that her daughter is now in heaven,” the affidavit said.

As if having sex is the worst thing a kid could do…

1. All I can do is shake my head in disbelief. And of course ask … WHAT IS WRONG WITH SOME PEOPLE????!!?!?!

Comment by Nan — March 15, 2019 @ 13:27

• Hello Nan. I wish I knew. I was so upset after I posted it I had to take a break. Spent some time combing the cats and talking with Ron. It is a delusion, a mental illness to do this, but it is in line with biblical thinking. The mother thinks she will be in heaven with the child. How does she know? Why does she get a pass, she just broke a commandment. Oh and do children stay children in heaven? That seems unfair? Do old people become young, and if so how young? That seems unworkable if everyone gets to choose their own age? Hugs.

Comment by Scottie — March 15, 2019 @ 14:45

• Good questions … which Christians don’t have the answer to. They may come up with all sorts of “theories” but the bible doesn’t say anything about what age a person will be when they land on the golden streets.

Comment by Nan — March 15, 2019 @ 16:55

• There are stories from the Spanish conquest of the Americas that sometimes the Spaniards baptized Indian babies so they would go to Heaven, then immediately killed them so they wouldn’t have a chance to grow up pagan and end up in Hell. And the Christian scheme of “salvation” is so warped that from that viewpoint such behavior would actually make sense.

The Indians must have thought the Christian Spaniards were some kind of insane demons. I’m not sure they were wrong.

Comment by Infidel753 — March 15, 2019 @ 21:09

• Hello Infidel. A few years ago I learned what was done to the natives when the Spanish and Columbus came to the Americas. I was stunned. I was angry. I was furious we celebrated Columbus day. Most people have no idea of the horrors inflicted on the native people. It sure was not covered in any of my schooling. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 16, 2019 @ 04:55

2. Whether she went to Heaven I can’t judge, but with a mother like that, she was probably already in Hell.

Comment by Infidel753 — March 15, 2019 @ 21:04

• Hello Infidel. I have several blogging friends who say indoctrination of children into religion at a young age is child abuse. I have heard others say that in videos. I have posted that homeschooling focused on just the bible is child abuse in that it denies a future for these children. So after story after story of kids being killed , getting sick and not given medical care, of the horrific punishments and repressive ideas of some more fringe denominations I am starting to be in agreement with the idea. What do you think on the subject? Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 16, 2019 @ 04:51

• I don’t know whether I’d go so far as to say that religious indoctrination is always abuse, though it’s certainly weird. If a parent indoctrinated their child with a fervent belief that the Harry Potter books are true, that the characters in those books really exist, that some people can cast spells and fly on broomsticks, etc., most people would think it was weird and disturbing, but wouldn’t think it rose to the level of abuse. Teaching religious beliefs as being true is basically the same thing.

Also, nothing can really be done about it since the majority of people in the US are religious. If a law were passed banning parental religious indoctrination of children (which, for obvious reasons, couldn’t happen in the first place), it would be widely viewed as tyrannical and would be impossible to enforce. The way things are supposed to work is that mandatory universal public education gives children a basic grounding in reality and somewhat neutralizes any nutty ideas their parents have taught them, religious or otherwise. With religious groups turning to home schooling, this is less effective.

Indoctrinating children with a vivid belief in Hell in order to scare them into obeying is abuse, as any other threat is, but only a minority of religious parents do that.

The thing is, though, the story in your post has nothing to do with indoctrinating children. It’s about violent behavior by the parent. Whatever the girl believed or was taught has no relevance to the story. A case like this is shocking because evolution has given humans (and most mammals) a protective instinct toward their children which is so strong that few influences can overcome it.

There’s a saying floating around the internet that goes something like: “If religion did not exist, there would still be good people doing good things, and evil people doing evil things. To make good people do evil things, that takes religion.” I suspect Ms. Rivera was not much of a “good person” anyway, but killing one’s own child is so “evil” that it seems religion is almost the only thing that can make people do it.

Well, actual insanity can also make people do things like that. But as Shelldigger says below, when viewed objectively, religion and insanity look pretty similar. Whether an irrational fervent belief gets classified as religion or insanity seems to mostly depend on how many people adhere to it.

Comment by Infidel753 — March 16, 2019 @ 07:33

3. I think this makes the case that religion is a mental illness.

Very sad for a child to die in such a fashion. At the hand of your own mother, being a good x-ian.

Comment by shelldigger — March 16, 2019 @ 06:20

• Hello Shelldigger. Yes I agree on both points. But it is a mental condition one can get better from if they are willing. Sadly most fight to stay in the delusion. As for the child my heart breaks over it. And I bet the mother is a huge pro-lifer! Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 16, 2019 @ 06:26

4. It’s a Stephen King novel come to life. That daughter’s name wasn’t “Carrie”, was it?

Comment by MDavis — April 10, 2019 @ 18:51

• Hello MDavis. Sadly no. It is a horror story, that is the truth. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 10, 2019 @ 19:39

• So was “Carrie”, and the mom was similar. Believed that if her daughter didn’t have any “evil thoughts” or similar then she would never mature. Because being an adult woman is punishment and then she would have to have sex and that is surely the end of any chance at heaven… I read a bunch of King decades ago, by the time the movie came out I didn’t connect them at first.

Comment by MDavis — April 10, 2019 @ 20:40