March 25, 2019

Border Patrol detains 9 year old U.S. citizen for 36 hours after falsely accusing her of lying about her identity

Filed under: Bigotry, Children, Dealing With Abuse, Family, Fascism, Harm, Hate, News, Political, Questions, Race — Scottie @ 11:45

Damn, Damn, and again Damn these people.   When will they see the person, the child, instead of the race?  Angry hugs

In San Diego, the United States Border Patrol grabbed a girl who is 9 and a U.S. citizen and on her way to school, accused her of lying about her identity, then detained her for 36 hours.

They were reunited after the kid had been held away from her parents for 36 hours, when the Mexican consulate got involved.

It’s hard to imagine this sort of thing routinely happening under Trump’s white supremacist presidency to families who look differently. Say, blonde and white and wealthy.

Thelma Galaxia said her friend, Michelle Cardenas, was driving each of their two children from Tijuana, where they live, to their schools in San Ysidro Monday morning, as they do nearly every day.

Galexia’s 9-year-old daughter, Julia Isabel Amparo Medina, attends fourth grade at Nicoloff Elementary School and her 14-year-old son, Oscar Amparo Medina, attends ninth grade at San Ysidro High School. Both are passport-holding U.S. citizens.

Julia Medina told NBC 7 that CBP officers accused her of being someone else, her cousin Melanie. The children said officers also accused Oscar Medina of smuggling and other crimes which he said he didn’t understand.

“My daughter told her brother that the officer told her that if she admitted that she was her cousin, she would be released soon so she could see her mom,” Galaxia said.

“I was scared. I was sad because I didn’t have my mom or my brother. I was completely by myself,” Julia Medina said. She said she woke up several times throughout the night, sad because she wasn’t with her family.

Galaxia said officers made Oscar Medina sign a document that said his little sister was his cousin.

“That is not true,” Galaxia said. “She is my daughter. He was told that he would be taken to jail and they were going to charge him for human trafficking and sex trafficking.”

Oscar told NBC 7 he felt terrible for signing the document. He said he just wanted to see his sister.

When CBP officers told Galaxia that Oscar and Julia Medina were detained, she got the Mexican consulate involved.

CBP was asked by the San Diego NBC news reporters “why officers detained a 9-year-old U.S. citizen and kept her from her mother for 36 hours,” and a spokesperson said CBP “would respond to questions when it had more details on the case.”

1. This whole episode is disturbing on different levels. I just gotta ask what the woman was thinking to dump a nine year old at a boarder crossing to walk by herself across a bridge unchaperoned. Naïve? Irresponsible? Negligent? I got it a punctuality geek. Just say’n.

Comment by nationofnope — March 25, 2019 @ 12:25

• Hello Nation. From the article she was stuck in traffic, and needed to get the kids to school. She called an uber to pick them up on the US side. She told them to walk across in the pedestrian crossing. They had done this before if I understood correctly with no problem. You would reason anyone would be safe even a child ( who had their passport on them ) because of the large number of border patrol agents. However the agents themselves were the dangerous people here. They abused these kids. No way anyone could justify doing that to a child. They wanted a reason to bar these brown kids from the US, and if the Mexican government had not stepped in they would have taken the kids passports and they wouldn’t be allowed to come back into the US. This was bigotry pulled on a child. It makes me furious.

Comment by Scottie — March 25, 2019 @ 13:34

2. I guess she missed all the hoopla over Mexico and the elementary school cartel children being held In cages. Anyway, what could go wrong on the other side? Just say’n.

Comment by nationofnope — March 25, 2019 @ 13:58

• Hello Nation. I have to disagree with you. We are said to be a nation of laws. US citizens including children shouldn’t have to fear crossing into the country they were born in and have citizenship in. This is bigotry by a government agency and there is no excuse. This is not the parents fault.
      I was adopted by a Canadian couple living in the US. I was taken back and forth many times over the canadian / US border. I needed no papers as I was a US citizen. Now I would need a passport. However at no time was I as a white male kid ever singled out, question without out an adult guardian, threatened and told to sign papers or I wouldn’t get to see my adoptive parents ever gain and threatened with jail for sex trafficking if I did not sign a paper saying my siblings were not who they said they were. THis is the point. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 25, 2019 @ 14:10

3. You are right and wrong at the same time. WE ARE IN THE THIRD YEAR OF THE TRUMP PRESIDENCY AND THE NATION IS A REFLECTION OF THAT REALITY. Desperation drives people to take risks, but knowing firsthand the militarization and hyperbolic rhetoric shit like what happened seemed unsurprising. If I’ve learned anything over the last three years it’s been that the truth and reality are malleable commodities in this environment. To take normalcies for granted, with the welfare of someone else’s children, in this environment was expedient for her. We know this because she did it before. She was just lucky the first time. There is no way she should have let kids go alone and make their own way past that border in any political environment. Just say’n.

Comment by nationofnope — March 25, 2019 @ 14:41

• Hello Nation. You make the assumption it would have turned out differently if the woman had accompanied the children. The fact that adults in a government capacity were intending to do these actions if they could get away with it doesn’t excuse them because an adult was not accompanying them. Despite being the 3rd year of Trump we are still a nation of laws and due process. The due process was clearly violated due to the children’s skin color. We must never accept this as normal. I place the entirety of blame where it belongs, on the bigoted adults who abused several children. How many more children did they do this too? To now say it is ok for us to let racist actions slide or to say we shouldn’t exercise our rights due to the prevalent bigoted climate towards non-white straight Christian males is to normalize what they did and are doing. I as a gay man in a same sex marriage should just accept people denying me services? Medical rights granted to M / F couples being denied me and my spouse? Because hate crimes are soaring due to the rhetoric from the WH should black people not sit at the dinner counters? Should it be OK for men to deny a woman automoney of their bodies? We don’t give up our rights because the current attitude is against us. We fight harder and make them follow the laws. These agents should be fired. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 25, 2019 @ 14:56

4. No, I assume that a person would use good judgment give the tensions at a high traffic border crossing. I’m not implying that what happened at the border can be condoned or characterized for anything other that deplorable and most regrettable. What I want to impart is, once that child left that car, she was placed a risk particularly in light of the border issues. Even if there was not Trump rhetoric there are desperate and some not so nice folks looking for entrance to the USA that would be perfectly willing to use her for their own purpose. To my mind she was irresponsible. There is no way in hell I would have considered worrying about the child being tardy for do what she did. Call the damn school and explain the situation and make sure she arrives safe. I’ll bet that is exactly what she would do now. Just say’n.

Comment by nationofnope — March 25, 2019 @ 16:03

5. Good grief.

Comment by jim- — March 26, 2019 @ 00:40

• Hello Jim. This was not a mistake nor a procedure error. This was a deliberate attempt to keep a little brown girl out of the US. The fact that an adult found it OK to abuse two children this way just to keep them out of the country is horrifying. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 26, 2019 @ 05:27