March 30, 2019

Country Happiness Rankings

Filed under: Facts, Health, Ideas, News, Political, Questions, Reason, Science — Scottie @ 08:33

Please note that the US is 19th.   It will blow the minds of Fox News ( If they have any left ) to notice that the countries that rank higher than the US all have some form of democratic socialism.    Seems universal health care without worrying if you can afford it, schooling without being saddled with mountains of debt, having the social safety nets to help the people, having higher taxes is a positive thing, less devotion to religion, having a cleaner environment, and having governments that work for the good of the people not the corporations.   Basically people are happier in countries that are progressive not regressive.  In the US one party is trying to take us into the future and have more happiness and the other party is trying to drag us into the past and be more restrictive.   Progressives need to hammer these points home every day.   Hugs

Figure 2.7: Ranking of Happiness 2016-2018

1. All the countries ranking higher than the US are also far less religious than the US is. I guess being free of constant feelings of guilt and unworthiness about “sin”, and not having a bunch of ranting busybodies constantly attacking gays, abortion, sex education, etc. would be more conducive to being happy. Almost all the countries ranking below the level of 120 are highly religious, and many of them are rife with religious and ethnic conflict of the type Trump is constantly trying to encourage here. The exception is Ukraine, and they have plenty of other reasons for being unhappy (Trump’s biggest pal lives next door).

Comment by Infidel753 — March 30, 2019 @ 10:25

• Hello Infidel, well said. Yet how do we get this concept to register to the evangelical / fundamentalists? Again this morning I read two new attacks by well known preachers attacking gay people. I am sick of it. They have lost most of their boogeymen so they cling to attacking the LGBTQ. It makes me ill that so many people buy into what is clearly false, yet support full tRump. Sorry to be a downer today, a bit depressed over all of this right now. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 30, 2019 @ 10:46

• Yet how do we get this concept to register to the evangelical / fundamentalists?

A lot of their own younger generation is at least backing away from the anti-gay and theocratic stuff. Realizing that the religion itself is harmful will probably need to wait for the generation after that. The older ones are mostly a write-off (well, there are exceptions like Bruce Gerencser, but he definitely is an exception). Just remember that that whole subculture is a minority in the US — a shrinking and increasingly despised one. The Senate and the Electoral College give them exaggerated political power, but political power isn’t as decisive as most people think.

Some people are simply vicious and hateful by nature. If they’d been born in a different time and place, they’d have joined the Gestapo or Dâ’ish or the Inquisition. There will always be people like that. But their influence and audience are much less than what they once were.

Comment by Infidel753 — March 30, 2019 @ 13:10

• Hello Infidel, I hope you are correct. I am worried about the many ideologs placed in the courts and the changes to laws being pushed through on both the state and federal levels. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 30, 2019 @ 13:18

2. Let me add this to the pile … The happiest and healthiest states in the U.S:

I think most of us can see the writing on the wall.

Comment by Nan — March 30, 2019 @ 11:45

• Hello Nan. I do not like that the wellbeing went down for the last two years. I wonder if that has something to do with who is president? Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 30, 2019 @ 12:11

• I’m sure happiness in general dropped in the US during the regime of Agolf Twitler. The only people who are happy with him are the types who get their satisfaction from crapping in everyone else’s punchbowl, and I’m not sure “happiness” is really the right term for that.

Comment by Infidel753 — March 30, 2019 @ 12:58

• Hello Infidel. Great point, well said. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 30, 2019 @ 13:03

3. Sounds like Finland is the place to be! All those lovely things like healthcare and education, and they have Moomins!

Regards,

Tengrain

Comment by tengrain — March 30, 2019 @ 12:21

• Hello Tengrain. Yes seems the draconian approach of the Fox News / fundamentalist crowd of having wealthy overlords and peasant serfs are wrong. Seems people are not happy being mindless slaves. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 30, 2019 @ 12:28

• Maybe it’s lucky they also have the weirdest language in Europe, or everybody would want to move there.

Comment by Infidel753 — March 30, 2019 @ 13:12

• Hello Infidel. 😁😂🤣😃😄👍Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 30, 2019 @ 13:22

• For a country with a population equal to Alabama, Finland has a really big presence in the blogosphere. I noticed that some time ago. It seems to be a culture with a high tolerance for eccentrics and oddballs — another thing that would make a society happier.

Comment by Infidel753 — March 30, 2019 @ 13:30

• Hello Infidel. If they like oddballs, I would fit right in. I love the last two sentences of your post. I think they are so important that I will quote them here. Hugs

“I pity those whose mental universe is limited to their own country, however large that country may be. There is a whole colorful world out there.”

Comment by Scottie — March 30, 2019 @ 13:46

4. I wish I could believe polls. I wouldn’t be surprised if the “happiest” countries are the most tribal.

Comment by EWM — April 2, 2019 @ 12:02

• Hello EWM. I think this is a pretty trustworthy survey. It is done annually. Plus for your idea to be correct the entire chart would have to be flipped upside down. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 2, 2019 @ 12:09