March 30, 2019

How much have you read?

Filed under: Atheism, Cartoons, Harm, Memes, Questions, Reason, Religion — Scottie @ 08:15

1. I had a reading plan that had me reading the whole bible (ot once and nt twice) thru every year. Did that for years.

Comment by grabaspine — March 30, 2019 @ 10:13

• Hello Grabaspine. You have read more of the bible than most people, including myself. I have read more parts of the bible as a non-church going member than I ever did when forced to go to church services in a religious school. I think most people have a vague idea of what they want to be in the book, but they really don’t know. I have pointed out passages and had theists argue with me that it was not in the book. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 30, 2019 @ 10:36

• Quite right. Most Christians have no idea what the bible teaches and how tenuous the foundations of their Faith are.

Comment by grabaspine — March 30, 2019 @ 10:39

2. I’m one of the 9%. Both the Catholic Bible & the King James. & I am definitely a non-believer.

Comment by silverapplequeen — March 30, 2019 @ 11:07

• Hello SAQ. I remember when our church school sent a bunch of us kids out to “spread the word of the gospel”. Dressed in our suits carrying our bibles we went out in pairs and small groups. I remember this one guy on his front lawn drinking beer and lifting weights. We approached him and went to tell him the good words of Jesus. We were sure he did not know what we did. We got our butts handed to us. Turned out this guy knew the bible. Not just the parts we kept being told about in all our chapels and weekend long services, but the entire thing. He had us looking things up and got us all turned around. I think the school was wrong to send kids out like that, we were kids, most of us older ones did not really believe the stuff and only knew what they hammered into us, and the younger ones were firm in loving god but had no idea of what that meant. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 30, 2019 @ 11:34

3. IMO, most people (believer and non-believer) read what (1) their leaders talk about from the pulpit, (2) what seems interesting, and/or (3) scriptures that “prove” a viewpoint. To read the entire book (without any skimming) is truly an accomplishment as much of it is, well, simply boring.

Comment by Nan — March 30, 2019 @ 11:36

• Hello Nan. I know when I was in the SDA I found the bible mostly gibberish. I couldn’t make coherent thoughts out of it. The bible seemed to be written in a language I did not understand. So mostly I just went along with what the leaders said. I know the among the kids my age only a couple took the stuff seriously, the rest of us just wanted to graduate and start our adult lives with without being told what to do all the time. When I think about how regimented the school was I can see why people think religions are controlling cults. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 30, 2019 @ 12:02

4. Iā€™m allergic.

Comment by nationofnope — March 30, 2019 @ 13:07

• Hello Nation. šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚šŸ˜šŸ˜ƒšŸ˜„šŸ˜Ž I love it. Grand. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 30, 2019 @ 13:08

5. I’ve read various versions of the bible (slow slog), book of mormon (best description I’ve heard is “bad science fiction”), bhagavad gita (interesting, what I remember), various buddhist writings (stopped thinking they were cool when I realized that some of them believed people deserved their suffering, so don’t help, oh vey), lao tzu, the list goes on.
    Atheist today. I believe if god(s) existed, they would make things a little clearer.

Comment by neal birch — March 30, 2019 @ 14:53

• Hello Neal. Welcome to my Toy Box, I hope you find many things here to enjoy.
      You are far better read than I am on the subject. I use to love the Buddhist message until I learned there are bad Buddhists as well good ones, just like people everywhere in every other religion. Sadly I had to learn a good philosophy of living doesn’t mean you are automatically a good person. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 30, 2019 @ 15:05

• I’m subscribed to your RSS feed, and love your perspective on life. Hope all is well!

Comment by neal birch — March 30, 2019 @ 16:14

• Hello Neal. Thank you, all is well for me. I look forward to getting to know you. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 30, 2019 @ 16:32

6. Just bits and pieces for me. It’s not a very interesting story unless you are concerned about dying. GROG

Comment by grogalot — March 30, 2019 @ 15:15

• Hello Grog. I love how you put it. I cringe when people say it should be taught in public schools. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 30, 2019 @ 15:43

• Did you know that there are “Christian” madrasa in the US? They are called Charter schools. Beware the evil of mis-education. GROG

Comment by grogalot — March 30, 2019 @ 16:13

• Hello Grog. Yes I know. I have posted also on the situation in New York where Orthodoxy Jewish schools teach nothing but the Torah and those kids graduate not being able to get a job and are on assistance from the taxpayers. https://scottiestoybox.com/2018/04/06/taxpayer-funding-for-religious-schools-that-teach-only-religion/ . I have also posted on what Betsy Devos has done in MI and is trying to do as Education Secretary. This people are a real threat to American yet they see it as their god given mission and even think it is OK to lie or do anything to promote their god. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 30, 2019 @ 16:30

• The proselytizing bastards. My neighborhood got invaded by Baptists this morning! I’m about to put up a sign and see if they can be declared a public nuisance! GROG

Comment by grogalot — March 30, 2019 @ 16:44

• Hello Grog. I love it. When we lived in WPB the Jehovah Witness bought a unused stadium for their regional offices. They then started flooding our neighborhoods every weekend with “missionaries”. We had a sign on our outside door saying “no solicitations including religious advocates”. They never took the hint. So one weekend after the third time a bunch of kids came to the door with a parent on the sidewalk, I answered the door with a bowl of candy and a book about two male penguins. I waved the adults in and started to read. They grab the kids and took off. I never had another visit from them. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — March 30, 2019 @ 17:03

7. Every words cover to cover. The same as the Quran.

Comment by Michelle Styles — April 1, 2019 @ 08:38

• Hello Michelle. You have done much better than most. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 1, 2019 @ 08:42

8. Cover to cover. Twice, in two different translations. Even the begats. I was a believer when I started, but not by the time I finished. I’ve read a some of the apocryphal books too, and also the Nag Hammadi library, and about a third of the Qu’ran. I tried to read the Book of Mormon once, but it read like bad fan-fiction of the KJV. (The musical version is way better!)

Comment by Ubi Dubium — April 1, 2019 @ 10:12

• Don’t even get me started on the book of Mormon… ugh! I pity you having to have read that rag.

Though I did find reading the bible and Quran eye opening and I was never a believer and this just reinforced my own disbelief.

hugs

Comment by Michelle Styles — April 1, 2019 @ 10:31

• Oh, I didn’t actually read the Book of Mormon, I just attempted to. It was so awful that I only got a few pages in before I had to put it down.

I only got 1/3 of the way through the Qu’ran because I realized that everything I was reading was pretty much just a repeat of what had been said already. I didn’t think I needed to read any more endless repetitions of how Allah is “merciful and just” and would send “a fiery doom to the unbelievers”.

Comment by Ubi Dubium — April 1, 2019 @ 13:50

• Hello Ubi. Wow that is dedication. I never could read the bible. Talk about boring crap. I have managed to read a part here or there, but the whole thing, nope. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 1, 2019 @ 13:04

• Well, my youth pastor told me that I should read it. And I was the good kid, who always tried to do what was expected. And they had even given me my own copy of the “good news” translation, which is more readable, but nerfs some of the awful parts. So I read that translation, and then picked up the KJV for my second read-through. If you ever tackle it, try the “Skeptics Annotated Bible” that has lots of helpful marginal notes. “The Brick Testament” is better, (http://www.bricktestament.com/home.html), illustrated in legos, which is really entertaining and doesn’t leave out any of the nasty bits.

Comment by Ubi Dubium — April 1, 2019 @ 14:02