April 19, 2019

WOW really butch for a Navy Officer

Filed under: Homosexual, Jokes, LGBTQ, People I like — Scottie @ 15:06

Thumbnail

1. Not one, but TWO pens! You can tell he was a Rhodes Scholar.

Scottie, you were in the military, right? Why are US flags on uniforms backwards?

Comment by john zande — April 19, 2019 @ 15:21

• Hello John. I was in both the Navy and the Army. I started first in the Navy and loved it. But I had terminal motion sickness and couldn’t be at sea. As my chosen job was entirely at sea for males, I had to be discharged with an honorable discharge. I had to be flown off my destroyer ( the USS Kinkade ) by helicopter as I really wanted to be in the Navy so asked to try again. I collapsed during the voyage and they couldn’t stabilize me. I then went into the Army. I would have stayed in as I love it. But at the end of my tour we had a ground pounder Commander take over our company and even though I had dealt with a few homophobes before this guy was determined I would not advance. My satellite command tried to protect me , but it was only a matter of time. My own people loved me. In fact the day I left our hook up to the bird went down. I was in civies ready to go, yet when it happened and no one could get us back up, it dawned on me that the crypto doesn’t auto reset after a power failure. I yelled to some to hit the breaker, ran to the crypto room and manually rest them. We came up on the bird and the Warrant officer for our satellite site wanted to reenlist me right then. He pushed for it with all the senior staff around me. I looked at him and said ” You know what he will do to me”? Meaning the new Commander. All the senior sergeants then found something interesting at their shoes. Long story short, as the Warrant officer couldn’t give me any assurance he could protect me, I left the service. It was a shame because I was really good at what I did. I was one of the few who was sent to other units to identify problems they couldn’t find. I was a grand troubleshooter ( got several awards and worked with special forces and the secret service. ) and I was also in an intelligence unit with a red passport. I got that because I had to sometimes go out with high ranking military or civilians and handle their comms. But I was a homo so had to go , as the saying was back then.

So rather than risk a dishonorable discharge for being homo, I got out after my tour was over getting my second honorable discharge. Today things are different and I would have been a career military. But that is the price of bigotry.

As for the flag here is something that explains that. Hugs

Army Regulation 670-1, “Wear and Appearance of Army Uniforms and Insignia,” updated most recently September 5, 2003, addresses explicitly the proper and lawful placement of the U.S. flag patch on the Army uniform.

The regulation states that when authorized for application to the proper uniform the American flag patch is to be worn, right or left shoulder, so that “the star field faces forward, or to the flag’s own right. When worn in this manner, the flag is facing to the observer’s right, and gives the effect of the flag flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward. The appropriate replica for the right shoulder sleeve is identified as the ‘reverse side flag’.”

Comment by Scottie — April 19, 2019 @ 16:15

• What a stupid waste of precious talent! Sorry you had to go through all that crap. It’s senseless.

About the flag, so it’s so the wearer can see it properly. Interesting. Thanks.

Comment by john zande — April 19, 2019 @ 17:28

• The price of bigotry indeed, and indeed a disgrace. As John says, it was a pointless loss of willing talent to the military. This affected other areas as well. The intelligence services have always suffered terrible shortages of foreign-language experts, but they used to discharge those who were discovered to be gay, exacerbating the problem. I’m not sure of this, but I’ve heard that this contributed to the shortage of Arabic-reading-analysts which contributed to the US not becoming aware in advance of the September 11 attack, despite some hints being available in documents we had.

My favorite example of the absurdity of this is that Alexander the Great is considered by many to have been the most skilled general who ever lived — in his whole career he never lost a battle, even though enemy forces outnumbered his by five-to-one in the two most important battles he commanded. Because he was homosexual, if he had lived in the 20th century he wouldn’t even have been allowed to join the US military.

Comment by Infidel753 — April 19, 2019 @ 22:10

• I remember when the Arabic translators were fired by Bush Jr. The way I remember it, we learned that they were fired for being gay after 9/11. I remember it as them getting fired afterward, but not sure now. A couple of them were interviewed by Jon Stewart. They stated that the intel collection system recorded the chatter on a limited system that would start recording over the data if it was not processed. They were not replaced for some time, long enough for the chatter directly after that event to be recorded over, and for some weeks after that.
          I thought it was suspicious, but the whole “oh, no, the translators are gay!!!!!!” thing was accepted as a valid and reasonable excuse for firing them.

Comment by MDavis — April 20, 2019 @ 02:13

• Hello Infidel. It is a shame isn’t it. THanks for the info. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 20, 2019 @ 06:04

2. A tour of duty in a combat zone does wonders for your appreciation of shared sacrifice. It brings into sharp focus the need to work together and trust one another. That uniform is not a costume and the man who wares it is not deserving of condescension. Just say’n.

Comment by nationofnope — April 19, 2019 @ 16:43

• Hello Nation. I agree. I tried to wear that uniform once. I was a skilled tech in a sat intel unit in Berlin. Back then it was a divided Berlin. The brass came up with an idea that all the units should prepared to defend against a Russian invasion. The people in my unit loved the idea, we got our camo make up mixed with cream so as not to be hard to remove or hard on the skin. We dressed up in our rarely used flak jackets and our assorted gear. Most of us couldn’t find ours and the command had to give us new ones.

So the first day of the drill we proudly donned our gear, made our faces camo and strapped on our laser vests, and went to take our assigned posts. How proud we were when the nearby ground pounder unit took positions in front of us to protect our satellite intelligence unit. It was a nice sunny day and we were outside, not something we normally got to do.

The next day we were told we wouldn’t be part of the drill any more. We were upset. We thought it was unfair. When the officer in charge told us why we were suddenly quiet.

We were not really soldiers. We worked in our tee shirts in air conditioned buildings tending machines. We were just techs.

What happened when we tried to play soldiers was we took positions in our compound to proudly defend our site, but we were really shooting our own defenders from the nearby base! We had registered more kills than the pretend attacking force did. Turns out we sucked as soldiers but we were great techs in the Army. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 19, 2019 @ 17:58