April 23, 2019

Pushing religion on patients

Filed under: Asshole / Jerk, Atheism, Drugs, Harm, Health, My Life and Rants, Questions, Religion — Scottie @ 08:18

This post goes with with my posting about religions taking over politics and hospitals.   When I had my last surgery one of the PA’s at the doctor’s office was getting the paperwork ready.  She started asking about church attendance and religion.   I told her I was atheist and did not believe in a mythical sky daddy anymore than I believed in Zeus.  She pushed harder asking if I wouldn’t like a visit from a chaplain or a religious layperson to stop by and see me.   Ron burst out ” Bad idea, really bad idea”!  ” Scottie would bust his stitches chasing them from the room”.   She was the PA that was to put my pain medication requirements in the information and somehow forgot.  Then was unable to be contacted for 24 hours, even though she was on call.

When I woke up in the Hospital room the CNA again asked me which church I belonged to and did they know to come visit me.  I was hurting too much to beat sense into her so Ron told her how it was and she left.  When the nurse came in she also asked which church I was I was a member and when told I was not a church member but atheist she asked if she could have some church members from her church or different churches in the area stop by to visit me and give me comfort.   I exploded at this point.   I did make the threat to sue if any one came to my room not a healthcare provider or Ron.  Said I would make sure it was in every media I could get to that my civil rights were violated.   I had surgery in the morning and never had pain medications until midnight and that was because Ron forced the issue.   As far as we know the PA doesn’t work for the surgeon anymore.   Hugs

1. Hi Scottie;
    I’ve spoken with people who aren’t exactly bible thumping front row hand waving speaking in tongues and halleluiah and glory be’s …. as in, they remember where church is, vaguely, become angry when someone says they are atheist. I don’t really understand the reaction, to be honest. I can only imagine the shock that would come to someone who is…or should be… committed.

hugs;
    randy

Comment by randy — April 23, 2019 @ 08:54

• Hello Randy. Good afternoon. I just think it is part of religion to push it on to everyone. The whole “go be a missionary” thing. It really ticks me off especially as it comes from a group that claims LGBTQ are pushing our lives on them. I don’t walk up to people and wish them a gay day. I don’t knock on peoples doors and ask them if they have discovered where on the gender spectrum they are. I have never witten an article saying hetersexual people shouldn’t be allowed to be around children or allowed to adopt. I also have never walked into a hospital room with the intentions of spreading the LGBTQ good news. Yet Christians feel they can do so at all times. I have never been asked which mosque I go to. Just what church. I wonder why? Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 23, 2019 @ 13:49

• I double dog dare you to ask the next person who does. 😀

Comment by randy — April 23, 2019 @ 17:08

• Hello Randy. You always did instigate trouble, didn’t you. 😁🤣😂😉👍👍 Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 23, 2019 @ 17:11

2. It is the sense of normalcy that they have Carte Blanchett to insert the notion that health care has a spiritual component I find the most troubling. I wonder if the church budgets for administering a placebo effect.

Comment by nationofnope — April 23, 2019 @ 08:55

• Hello Nation. I know when I worked at in a local surgical ICU we had lists of local churches and church leaders. We had procedures in how to contact priests of different areas. We had a department we could call to have religious items put in patients rooms. The interesting thing is a study was done on the subject of prayer and if it helps people heal. Turns out that people who know they are being prayed for do less well at getting healthy. Turns out not only are prayers not helpful, if you think people are praying for you it slows your recovery. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 23, 2019 @ 13:57

• Caution prayers may be hazardous to your health.

Comment by nationofnope — April 23, 2019 @ 14:15

• They figure that God, and prayer, are going to take care of it, and don’t exert their own determination and life force. 😦

Comment by Archon's Den — April 24, 2019 @ 02:19

• Hello Archon. Yes I guess it takes responsibility for their own actions from them. They don’t have to work harder and struggle more. They can simply say the result is up to god. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 24, 2019 @ 05:27

3. This is outrageous harassment, and skimping on pain medications ought to be grounds for a lawsuit.

Once again religion provides a pretext for cruel and abusive behavior, just the opposite of being a guide to moral behavior as they claim.

Comment by Infidel753 — April 23, 2019 @ 09:17

• Hello Infidel. Very true. I got pain relief because Ron demanded the call the doctor himself instead of the on call person. He was pissed. Woke him up. He told them he had ordered me to go back on my normal pain medication I was prescribed. They told him they did not have that order and called him because the Pa was not answering and had not answered all day. The next afternoon she showed up and “apologized” saying she did not know what happened, she had gone “camping” and did not realize she had no cell service. I asked for her on my next visit with the surgeon, and after a bit someone told me she was not there anymore. As far as suing , both the doctor’s practice and the hospital make it almost impossible to sue them and win. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 23, 2019 @ 14:03

• and after a bit someone told me she was not there anymore

Well, that’s a good sign, possibly. Let’s hope it was because somebody there realized how bad the bullshit she was pulling was.

Thank goodness Ron was around. Not everybody has somebody to look out for their interests like that.

Comment by Infidel753 — April 23, 2019 @ 20:29

4. wow, that would never happen here in NY.

Comment by silverapplequeen — April 23, 2019 @ 09:58

• Hello SAQ. I am glad to hear that. Most of Florida is still a deep bible belt state. It is changing, but slowly. So Christian denominations have a lot of privilege here, something I am working to stop. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 23, 2019 @ 14:06

5. Good Grief This is unbelievable.

I suggest you find out where the nearest branch of Satanists are and list them as your local Church!

Comment by Arkenaten — April 23, 2019 @ 11:51

• Considering where he lives, they’d probably call a priest to do an exorcism!

Comment by Nan — April 23, 2019 @ 12:10

• I had another thought …. (Yes, two thoughts in one day, amazing)´
        If the situation arose again perhaps the best response to a query concerning religion/church should be:

”Now I am really concerned. Why do you think I need a church representative? Aren’t the Doctors any good in this hospital?”

Comment by Arkenaten — April 23, 2019 @ 12:18

• Hello Nan. Oh yes! 🤣😂😜😜😉 Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 23, 2019 @ 14:11

• Hello Ark. I love that idea! If they freak out here in a bible belt state over the word atheist, what will they do when they see me listed as a Satanist? Hugs

Comment by Scottie — April 23, 2019 @ 14:11

6. My wife once suffered what appeared to be an inflamed appendix. (Turned out to be psychosomatic.) I quickly drove her to the nearest hospital, which was Catholic. While they rushed her upstairs, I remained behind to get her registered. The admissions clerk finally came to the box on the form, and asked, “Religion?” I said, “No thanks!”
    “Well, if she dies, we have to know whether to call a priest or a preacher.” I replied, “If she dies, you’d better call a lawyer!” 👿

Comment by Archon's Den — April 24, 2019 @ 02:27