May 12, 2019

Christian Activist to MO Lawmakers: “We Have a God-Given Right to Discriminate”

Really?  What a thing to brag on.  Really makes your god seem such a great being?

Christian Activist to MO Lawmakers: “We Have a God-Given Right to Discriminate”

Missouri is one of the states that has no law preventing discrimination against LGBTQ people. The Missouri Nondiscrimination Act (MONA) would do it, but lawmakers just failed in their 21st attempt at passing it, all because Republicans don’t want to alienate bigoted Christians.

Calzone insisted that Christian business owners had every right to discriminate against anyone they wanted.

“I believe that we have a God-given right to discriminate,” he told the committee. “We actually have a God-given responsibility, a duty, to sometimes discriminate,” he added.

…Asked if he believed a restaurant owner could eject someone based on race or religion or gender, Calzone said yes. “If a restaurant owner doesn’t want to serve people with freckles, that should be his choice,” he told the group.

He didn’t stop there, either, comparing the plight of that Christian baker to literal slavery.

“Forcing someone to serve someone they do not want to serve is a form of slavery,” he told The Star Editorial Board in an email.

The good news is that Calzone’s comments weren’t the reason the bill died. The bad news is that the bill still died. There likely won’t be enough time to even take a vote because legislators were too busy listening to the insane rants of a religious bigot. The legislative session ends next Friday, May 17.

1. I like it when these idiots are actually honest. They do more damage to evangelical Christianity than any clever atheist argument ever could.

Comment by john zande — May 12, 2019 @ 09:31

• I agree.

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — May 12, 2019 @ 09:42

• Hello John. Yes the seem crazy to the rest of us, yet it moves their followers even more to become even more radical. Bit by bit they are Psyching themselves up to be even more demanding in worse ways. I admit I am discouraged right now as I see all the advancements in civil rights being systematically swept away and a return to 60 years ago. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 12, 2019 @ 10:01

• I can imagine, but I think there’s going to be a progressive wave coming very soon. Trump stacking the courts is not good, but it can be countered.

Comment by john zande — May 12, 2019 @ 10:15

• Brother, I hope you’re right. This crap gets me seriously depressed. I need to hear all the hopeful voices I can. 🙂

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — May 12, 2019 @ 11:42

• The women are mad. The mums are mad. The teenage girls are mad. Nothing can withstand what’s coming from that cauldron.

Comment by john zande — May 12, 2019 @ 15:49

2. And you still want States like this in the Union?
    Hugs

Comment by davidprosser — May 12, 2019 @ 10:08

• Hello David. The states yes, those kind of people not so much. We fought hard over the years to make, keep, and improve this country, at the same time people like them keep trying to diminish and destroy the country. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 12, 2019 @ 10:17

3. Hi Scottie;
    I always find it incredibly educational and interesting to hear people describe the many ways that they have the right to be hateful, bigoted, fear-mongers. I guess I always hope that if they hear themselves out loud, not just in their own little minds, but live and loud, that some of their idiocy will become even obvious to them and change will come. In the end, though, I much prefer the vocal to the quiet racist who will stab another in the back under the guise of decency.

Hugs;
    r

Comment by randy — May 12, 2019 @ 11:14

• Hello Randy. I left you a message on Skype a while ago. I understand how you feel. The problem is they are in bubbles that reinforce their hatreds and get them stoked up to do stupid shit. I watched an interesting clip yesterday on how recruiters for these racist groups work. They take memes and comments that make a kid laugh and giggle and keep pushing them further and further in until at some point the kid depends on them for friendship and other needs. Then they got them. Can make them into what ever they want as extreme or radical as possible. It was on Chris Hayes show all in on MSNBC on their web site. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 12, 2019 @ 11:20