May 16, 2019

Black in the US: He was not required to show ID by law, the police officer stole his wallet from his hand while the other blocked him and checked his ID

Filed under: Asshole / Jerk, Bigotry, Criminal, Fascism, Harm, Hate, News, Political, Questions, Race — Scottie @ 06:19

1. My Thor! If that isn’t harassment, then I sure in hell don’t know what is! The woman in the background should have gone into the house and got the guy’s ID (I’m guessing he didn’t have it on him or he would have shown it). This kind of stuff sucks!

Comment by Nan — May 16, 2019 @ 11:37

• Hello Nan. From the video he did have his wallet on him. In the end when the second officer gets there the Black man has his wallet in his hand, then the cops wrestle it out of his hands. The first officer opens it up and checks his ID while the second officers stops the man from grabbing it back. That is when the first officer hands the wallet back and starts to leave while the black man says he should report it. The woman wants him to drop it because she is afraid. The problem is the black man was not required to show ID. The law states he has the right to not show the ID unless he has been arrested. The officer did not have cause to arrest him so demanding the ID was simple harassment. The whole idea of a police officer just pulling up to a guys house and demanding ID and claiming the man’s dog was not his while people are there vouching for him is pure harassment. He was hoping the man would get violent so he could react harshly and cause harm. If the woman there has gone inside they would have shot the guy. I really think the first guy was trying to provoke the black man so he could either arrest him or harm him. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 16, 2019 @ 12:24

• Oh … I didn’t notice the part about his wallet. In any event, the whole incident sucks and shouldn’t be allowed to happen … but of course so long as we have racist cops, it’s going to continue.

Comment by Nan — May 16, 2019 @ 12:29

2. … and there/s their “respect for life”, right there. I didn’t have to wait long for another shoe to drop.

Comment by MDavis — May 16, 2019 @ 18:56

• Hello MDavis. I agree. I was waiting horrified the cop ( who was clearly wrong ) would simply react to the “you disobeyed me I have the right to harm you” mode. It was so blatant what was happening. You know, I am an old white man and I never really understood what our black fellow humans have gone through. It now pisses me off more than I can express. I am not going to be silent about this. If I see it in my area I will step up. I hope all the rest do also. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 16, 2019 @ 20:15

• Yeah, the victim kept saying “you’re shaking like you’re scared or something. Don’t touch me until you are not shaking like you’re scared!” But it seems as likely that he just saw a chance to hassle someone and got that excited. I really got the impression that this guy resisting in the manner he did (refusing to go with them, demanding that they show him why they were hassling him) and with the back up that he had saved him from injury.

Comment by MDavis — May 16, 2019 @ 21:11

• Hello MDavis. I agree. Also with it clearly was being recorded also may have moderated the actions of the first cop. Yes if he had gone to the police car out of the range of the camera he would have been harmed. The back up officer clearly was not happy and was trying to calm the situation down, but the first officer wanted a confrontation with a black man in his own yard with his own dog. That this shit is normal in the US pisses me off to the max. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 16, 2019 @ 21:31

3. It sucks that we’ve gone to the “arrest first and ask questions later” phase in some places.
    I suppose it’s a step up from “shoot first and ask questions later,” though.
    I feel nauseous just thinking of this “improvement”.
    Still, what the hell? Could they have done a bit more investigation before even approaching the guy?

Comment by TheChattyIntrovert — May 17, 2019 @ 13:04

• Hello Chatty. Yes to all. This was clearly a case to harass and intimidate a POC. I think if there had not been witnesses filming they would have escalated it to shooting the man. Bill Maher claims the number one crime in the US is to not instantly obey the police. Officers seem to feel they are not to be disrespected for any reason. They seem to feel that being disrespected gives them the right to shoot people. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 17, 2019 @ 13:17