May 22, 2019

A Christian dominionist Politician doesn’t care about the irony

Filed under: Bigotry, Criminal, Fascism, Harm, Hate, News, Political, Questions, Religion — Scottie @ 07:14

Tennessee Official Quotes Bible While Calling Islam “Evil”

Tennessee Official Quotes Bible While Calling Islam “Evil”

A district attorney from Tennessee, an unapologetic Christian, quoted the Bible as he refused to apologize for — and even doubled down on — hateful comments about Muslims.

It all started when Coffee County District Attorney Craig Northcott wrote in a Facebook comment that Islam was “evil, violent and against God’s truth.” He also said that being a Muslim was like “being part of the KKK, Aryan Nation, etc.” Screenshots of those posts were exposed by a watchdog group now calling for his resignation.

In subsequent Facebook posts, the Tennessee government official insisted the answer was in the Bible.

Despite the backlash he’s received over the social media posts, Northcott dug in his heels on Saturday, telling his Facebook followers, “I am not resigning.”

If they figured I would apologize for calling hate in any form evil, they miscalculated,” he wrote. “If they expect me to denounce my faith because of their tactics, they are going to be disappointed.”

The problem, of course, is that he didn’t call out hate. He called out Islam and Muslims as a whole, suggesting that Islamic radicals represent the entirety of the faith. (Case in point, he also wrote that all Muslims “by definition” support an “evil belief system whether they understand/act on it or not.”)

This isn’t a freedom of speech issue. This is a dealing-with-the-consequences-of-your-speech issue. If Northcott can’t be trusted to represent Muslim clients fairly — and that is a possibility in his line of work — than why should he remain in office?

It’s not surprising that the Party of Trump would defend religious bigotry. It’s just ironic that the same people who cry “persecution” when Christians are held to the same standards as everyone else are so quick to say it’s no big deal when a government official demonizes an entire religion.

1. YES! That last paragraph says it all. Hypocrites … all of them!!!

Comment by Nan — May 22, 2019 @ 11:22

• Hello Nan. I agree. All of them. I am so disappointed that Buttigieg is professing his faith so much on the campaign trail. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 22, 2019 @ 12:49

• Buttigieg may be doing that to counteract the Evangelicals condemnation of his lifestyle. I haven’t been keeping up on all the candidates’ town halls, etc. so I’m not sure what he’s said. Just offering something to think about.

Comment by Nan — May 22, 2019 @ 13:03

• Hello Nan. Yes I wondered about that. It just seems he mentions it at every event and appearance. That and his refusal to put out detailed policy positions bothers me. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 22, 2019 @ 13:10

• From what I’ve been able to gather, only a few of the candidates have put out “detailed policy positions.” It seems most of them are simply spouting a lot of feel-good stuff and negative comments about the current administration but don’t seem to say a whole lot about how they would run the country. But as I said, I’m not paying a whole lot of attention to personal appearances, etc.

BTW, I notice your favorite, Ms. Warren, is moving up in the polls.

Comment by Nan — May 22, 2019 @ 13:19

• Hello Nan. You are correct. It frustrates me who is into policy and wants to know what, when, how a candidate intends to do. I hope the majority will step up more in that regard as we get to the debates and closer to the primaries. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — May 22, 2019 @ 13:21