June 8, 2019

Oppression

Filed under: Bigotry, Cartoons, Criminal, Fascism, Harm, Hate, Memes, News, Political, Questions — Scottie @ 06:15

1. James Baldwin was such a great author and intellectual. Good quote from him.

Comment by ospreyshire — June 8, 2019 @ 17:02

• Hello Ospreyshire. I hate what has become of our country. I guess it always was I just never seen it or had to deal with it. Now I hope I can have a part in stopping it. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — June 8, 2019 @ 20:44

• Hey, Scottie. I don’t blame you and I’m glad you’re awakening to all of this.

Comment by ospreyshire — June 8, 2019 @ 20:59

• Hello Ospreyshire. I have an issue with all my fellows who also did not see this who must now do see it, where are you! I do not give white people a pass on this, and I do not give myself a pass. I felt I was pretty progressive, I stood up any time I seen a POC attacked. I served in the military with POC and we were all the same. In my life I carried a gun and never thought POC were less human than I was. They were my brothers and sisters.

Now I see the very institutions that supported me , underminded the POC. How to deal with that. How did they deal with it. Did the people of color I thought friends think I was that way?

I will give one part of my past. I may have been in the wrong or right, I will let you decided.

I was a shift leader in West Berlin on a satellite site attached to an INTEL unit. I worked both sides. One day the upper echelon came to me and told me I was getting a person on my shift who had disciplinary problems. This person was about to be kicked out of the Army. I was not told anything other than that.

The next shift I had this sullen angry young black man. As I was handing out assignments he glowered. I gave him his. He said nothing. About two hours after I had checked the readings I had assigned him I confronted him.

He told me I couldn’t tell him to do anything as he was black and I was a bastard white who oppressed his people. I listened carefully to his entire angry rant and then when he ran out of steam several hours later I asked him a couple questions.

Would he rather be put out of the military on a bad conduct discharge or work with me and us to fix what he felt was the problems, because as for him it was my call.

The weird thing for me was how he walked around and talked about it. I realize today he had simply never been offered a chance to air his point of view.

I have to say when I left Berlin he was one of the best Techs in our unit. I hope I had something to do with that , but heck I was just a young guy myself. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — June 8, 2019 @ 21:30

2. Scottie, I wished more people were like you when it comes to learning about the systemic injustices, wanting to do something about it, and calling out people for mistreating others. I’m glad you see anyone regardless of ethnicity as other human beings. After that article I posted involving the racist implications of a certain animated film and how I felt as an adult with it, that comment was a godsend.

You’re actually starting to get all the things going on.

I don’t think I remembered if you were in the military, but that is a powerful story you mentioned. The fact you were able to listen to him when no one else would speaks volumes about your character. Granted, I don’t know the whole situation that the soldier was in, but I’m glad he became a top Tech in your unit.

Comment by ospreyshire — June 9, 2019 @ 10:53

• Hello Ospreyshire. Looking back and knowing what I do today, I can not say for sure but I think the anger was because he was discriminated against most of his life. He developed his attitude as a shell to protect himself from what he couldn’t change. I don’t take any credit for his change, he did it. He decided to let his walls down and trust one more time. It has to be hard to be a POC in some areas, and this was back in the mid 1980’s when systemic casual racism was more tolerated than today. Well I think it was. When I look back and think what it must have been like for him growing up it sends chills down my spine. So many times being the kid looking in the windows knowing you are not welcome. I wish all white people could see this, understand it. But because it doesn’t happen to them they have no idea to even ask. I hope this is changing. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — June 9, 2019 @ 11:10

• Sure. He was able to channel that anger into something constructive and it did sound like he did it on his own. It is quite hard and while I wasn’t alive during the mid 80s, I’ve heard stories about what life was like saying nothing about the racism going on with the Reagan administration. Thank you for wanting to shed light on this issue and wishing others could see that plight.

Comment by ospreyshire — June 9, 2019 @ 14:51