July 4, 2019

The 12:30 AM phone call

Filed under: Family, Health, Love, My Life and Rants, People I like — Scottie @ 05:37

My husband went to work last night as normal.  He left at 6 PM and texted me when he got to the hospital.   I went to bed early as I normally do.   Then I was awakened at 12:30 AM by my phone ringing with the ring tone I have set for my husband.  As it is not normal for him to call me in the middle of the night I answered very concerned.   “Scottie, this is Jeanette ( the night time supervisor for the ICU’s ) Ron has fallen, he passed out and fell hard”.  “We think it is his blood sugar and he is awake now but very confused and he is saying his hip and back is hurting really bad”.  “We are taking him to the ER now to have him checked out”.

What do you say?  I was confused, startled, trying to process that Ron had fallen due to his blood sugar going to low and was hurt.   All I could think of was to thank her and ask her to have him call me when “…he was better”.   Ron said he was still on the floor listening to her talk to me on his phone and when she chuckled and told him my response was to have him call when he was better Ron said he just rolled his eyes.

The gave him an X-Ray and a C.A.T. scan, did blood work.  In the ICU they gave him some glucose type syrup to bring his sugar up.   So he was in terrible pain so they sent him home.   He had been texting me on and off during all the testing from the ER as there was no way I could go back to sleep.   I offered to come get him in the van but he felt he could drive.   They offered him a very mild pain reliever or Morphine.  He can not take morphine so he just took some Tylenol.

When he got home I brought in his stuff from the car and helped him into the house.   I got him something to eat and helped him into bed.  His left hip is really sore and he is limping, but the scans showed no break.  His back is twisted and hurts bad and I can understand that.  He is in bed now and I am sitting here with a few hours of sleep thankful it was not worse.  When he wakes up he is going to really hurt.   It is a holiday so he can not call his doctor.  I maybe able to take him to a convenient care if he needs it.

Be well everyone.  Have a grand holiday.  Be safe.   Hugs

1. I hope Ron soon feels better Scottie, Birthday Greetings for 4th July from Wales.
    Hugs

Comment by davidprosser — July 4, 2019 @ 05:40

• Hello David. Thank you. I know from my own experiences with falling and pain, he is going to hurt really bad when he gets up today. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 4, 2019 @ 06:16

2. Oh dear, Scottie. Terrible news. I hope he gets better soon!

Comment by Carmen — July 4, 2019 @ 06:11

• Hello Carmen. Thank you. I was very worried. Ron is in such pain I had to help him into bed. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 4, 2019 @ 06:18

3. I’m so sorry to hear this! Sending healing vibes & love ❤

Comment by silverapplequeen — July 4, 2019 @ 06:16

• Hello silverapplequeen. Thank you. I am still wired from the call and then the texts. I am glad the scans show no breaks, but with his back twisting the way it did , and the slamming down on his hip bone he is really going to be sore for a while. He doesn’t work tonight, but tomorrow night he is scheduled to work. He just turned 64 so it is hard for him anyway.
      Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 4, 2019 @ 06:20

4. Hi Scottie;
    Just got home. Please give Ron my best… and you be careful you don’t work yourself into a hole as well. I am off until Sunday night, so hopefully we can talk.

Big Hugs!
    randy

Comment by randy — July 4, 2019 @ 07:35

• Hello Randy. Thanks. It will be great to chat. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 4, 2019 @ 09:20

• and you be careful you don’t work yourself into a hole as well — Good Advice!

Are you listening/reading, Scottie???

Please tell Ron we are all sending healing thoughts for a fast recovery. (But no prayers …)

Comment by Nan — July 4, 2019 @ 11:36

• Hello Nan. Thank you from both of us. I am doing things for him here and there. Getting him stuff and that but not really doing anything hard. I did start laundry now that he is out of the bedroom. To help me out he put the washer and dryer in our bedroom. It is so much easier for me. But it limits when I can do wash on days he has to sleep. Be well. Have a great fourth. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 4, 2019 @ 12:07

5. epsom bath salts, works a charm.

hope he’s feeling better.

Comment by john zande — July 4, 2019 @ 09:33

• Hello John. Thank you. He keeps looking at the hot tub thinking wishing he had gotten it running before now. But he is walking around and doing much better than when he got home. He feels better walking and sitting up than laying down. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 4, 2019 @ 12:04

6. Hope he’s got good stuff to help him out, and maybe help him sleep through the fireworks (ugh). The blasts around here will be keeping me up all night cuddling the dogs and doing jigsaw puzzles out of boredom.

Comment by TheChattyIntrovert — July 4, 2019 @ 11:38

• Hello TheChattyIntrovert. No they did not offer him much for pain meds at the hospital and no prescription. Normally he would contract his own doctor, but with today a holiday can’t do that. They should have given him a script for a few days of pain relief. But they did not. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 4, 2019 @ 12:08

7. Why is it everyone seems to get hurt over holidays? Hope he is better soon and can get into his doctor on Friday!

Comment by koolaidmoms — July 4, 2019 @ 12:45

• Hello koolaidmoms. Thank you. He is doing better. He is moving around which helps. He is taking over the counter stuff for pain. He is a lot better than when he came home. I don’t want to tell him I know what will happen later. He will stiffen up and be in a lot of pain. We will get through this. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 4, 2019 @ 14:31