July 13, 2019

Another day away from computer?

Filed under: My Life and Rants — Scottie @ 06:24

Hello Everyone.  Just an update.  If no one noticed I have had little computer time for three days.   I Have tried to do as much as I could with the time I could be at the computers.   I have one computer torn apart as I am installing new hardware, the other I reset because a couple tweaks I wanted to try out made a mess of my operating system.   Also I have had four appointments this week with an MRI scheduled for this morning at 7:30.   Yesterday afternoon I went to a local ladies home and fixed her computer.  It took 3 hours.  She had gotten a lot of malware and the pop up adverts were non-stop.   I reset her operating system and then went to load all her stuff.  She had no idea of her user names and passwords, even though she had a large thick book with passwords over decades with no way to tell which one was current.  After trying to recover three of them I simply started making her new accounts.   Yes I had her write them down with the date created.   OK going to answer as many comments as I can before we run out for my MRI.   Hugs

1. I use a program called keepassxc for storing my passwords. It’s simple to use, available for every operating system. I can copy the database file it makes to all my devices, which makes life easier.

Comment by neal birch — July 13, 2019 @ 17:34

• Since we’re offering commercials (😉) … BitDefender Anti-Virus has a password feature that works really great (they also have “full security” version). Once you’ve visited a site that requires a password, it “remembers” and provides it next time around. I ALSO use a computer-based password program (Password Manager) that I like even better because you can also store other information. However, upgrades have been discontinued so I’m slowly switching to TK8Safe.

In essence, it’s really a “to each his own” decision. Whatever works best for each person. But having some kind of program is pretty much a necessity.

BTW, I don’t envy what you’re going through, Scottie. Primarily because I’d be lost and would have long ago taken my computer to an outside tech!

Comment by Nan — July 13, 2019 @ 18:04

• Hello Nan. You are correct, there are many different programs that remember passwords. The major browsers also do so, I prefer Chrome. Like you say it is basically what a person prefers. For these people I am helping I recommend address books or Rolodex. Anything to keep them organized. The important thing is to make sure they are not afraid to use the computer. Then it is no fun for them and becomes a chore. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 14, 2019 @ 03:40

• For the “older” folks, you’re correct. Rolodex and/or address books are much more “user-friendly.” 🙂

BTW, I also use Chrome and yes, it does save passwords. However, because it’s so widely used and so popular, I have this (perhaps unjustified) fear that it could be hacked and gasp … you know what that would mean. I suppose it’s true of any website/program, but at least the “paid” ones have more to lose and thus, more incentive to have preventive measures in place.

Comment by Nan — July 14, 2019 @ 11:42

• Hello Nan. I agree. I have information on a test I did on some virus software I will tell you another time. You will be very surprised. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 14, 2019 @ 16:46

• Hello Nan. Also on my computers I created the mess. 😂🤣😜 I bought new hard drives for each computer. I wanted to strip the systems down and do a flash on the bios, then isolate them with the new drives and load them up. I got one of them ready and when I went to flash the bios I got into a mess. So that computer has been down for 3 days or so. I will do the isolation today while watching the Sunday news shows on that computer. The main computer, my blogging computer I was reading some tech blogs and decided to try some of the tweaks of the operating system and specifically the network settings. I ended up getting several things wrong and had to do a reset of the operating system. Then it did not go correctly so had to return the computer to factory install. So added to that is a week of daily doctor appointments and helping people while my pain levels got so bad I couldn’t sit at my desk so I was going to bed a lot. I am very tired all the time so I was not putting my best effort into this stuff. I am not eating ( just not hungry ) and have lost 8 pounds. But I am sure it will all get fixed soon. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 14, 2019 @ 03:52

• I guess you know most of what you wrote was over my head! 😉 I do have a bit of a grasp of what you went through, but I could never, ever do what you did!!! In any case, I feel confident you’ll have everything back together and working as it should in no time.

It’s always distressing to hear you’re not doing well. Please don’t overdo things! Your health MUST come first.

Comment by Nan — July 14, 2019 @ 12:15

• Hello Neal. Thanks for the tip. I am not sure the people I am helping could use a program for their passwords. These are people who really are not computer literate. I try to get them to use a Rolodex. That way they can have them alphabetized and can simply throw away the old ones. Much less confusion. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 14, 2019 @ 03:36

• The last time I went looking for a Rolodex I couldn’t find one in a local store. However, the “Back To School” stuff is coming out in retails stores and one of the products is a set of flash cards (either small, Like 2×3 inches or so, or 3 x 5 cxards) basically a set of cards on a ring. They can be rearranged and switched out, especially 3 x 5s as those are pretty much available year around. I was thinking of using them for passwords myself, as I am not very program savvy.
        Your tip about dating passwords to keep up with updates was pretty good, for example – currently I find the card I used for a site, cross out the old password and write in the new one. I’m so not high tech.
        Please take care of yourself. Hugs

Comment by MDavis — July 14, 2019 @ 13:03

• Hello MDavis. I am totally taken with Amazon. You can get a bunch of different kinds of Rolodex from them. However your idea is good also. My thing is people need to keep an organized, hopefully alphabetical, dated record of their user names and passwords. I have had a lady here in the park call me in the middle of the night demanding I tell her the password for what ever place she was trying to get into. Telling her I did not know her passwords did not register to her as she replied that I had fixed her computer so I must know her passwords. One lady insisted I make AOL change how they displayed her email. Another took offence at google and wanted me to make them ask her before they showed up on her computer, the problem was she had Gmail. They just don’t understand how a computer and inter net work. The lady I was talking about this last Friday kept trying to give me her apple password for every site. She couldn’t understand why it was not correct, it was her password. I had to keep explaining that site A is not site B and not site C… and so on. She was sure she only made one password and it was for apple. Then she launched into a rant how her husband kept changing her apple password on her because they share the account. He doesn’t do that because he can not figure how to get on the internet much less how to change a password. But to her every password was the Apple password. I did not even bother to wade into that. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 14, 2019 @ 17:12

• 🤣🤣😂😂🤣

Comment by Nan — July 14, 2019 @ 17:31

• Hello Nan. You laugh but after 2 hours I was getting pretty frustrated. I was there for a bit over 3 hours, with her two dogs trying to climb into my lap and one of them thinking my fingers were a new kind of dog treat. Oh well, I guess I hope someone will take pity and have patience with my old butt when I am struggling with the new stuff. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 14, 2019 @ 18:07

• You have more patience than I do. Also, you can find so many things on Amazon, it really has its good points.

Comment by MDavis — July 14, 2019 @ 22:19

2. Take care, my friend. Hugs! ❤

Comment by jilldennison — July 13, 2019 @ 21:35

• Hello Jill. Thank you. You be well also. I know we are all dealing with both physical and emotional troubles. I think tRump is wearing the health of the country right to the breaking point. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 14, 2019 @ 03:56

• Truer words were never spoken. If anybody with a heart and brain in this country isn’t suffering both physically and emotionally, I will be surprised. I expect that when the numbers are tallied, rates of suicide, alcoholism, drug use, and domestic violence will see a dramatic increase in this, the era of Trump. Hugs.

Comment by jilldennison — July 14, 2019 @ 15:27

• Hello Jill. I wonder if we can name a syndrome after tRump. Problem my be there are far too many illnesses that he has caused. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 14, 2019 @ 17:42

• Hmmmm … I rather like the idea. A syndrome, after all, is a compilation of symptoms … let’s ponder on it! Hugs!

Comment by jilldennison — July 15, 2019 @ 00:04