July 20, 2019

Some days just don’t work out right

Filed under: My Life and Rants, Pictures — Scottie @ 12:56

Ron has done my hair for 30 years, but recently his hands hurt too much and he shakes a bit too much to do a good job.   He has started to dislike doing it and it has gotten shaggy and out of shape.  We agreed I would find a barbershop and have my hair cut there.   So I found one nearby and went to get a haircut.

The place was neat and clean with a old time barbershop look.  I was the only customer and I told the barber I prefered my hair parted on the side, off my ears, and out of my eyes.   Please shape the beard also.   He wanted to know if I would like some of the thick mass off the back and I agreed.  Well he took to shearing and I was fleeced.   I did not mind the hair being so short but I like a beard with some length to it.  Not long and shaggy but enough on the chin to grab ahold of.

I got home and ron was upset.  Told me to never go back there again.   Said it was way too short.  Said I looked like a 70 year old man.   I guess I can not win.   What do you guys think.   Hugs

1. Hi, Scottie –

I like it! And it won’t take but a month for you to regain that “shaggy” look. I think it makes you look more “professional,” and less like a “Hippy,” lol. And I bet you barely notice it in a week or so.

Comment by Dennis Cole — July 20, 2019 @ 13:11

• Hello Dennis. I am much more upset over my beard. I am fussy over it, I like it even and a certain length. Not only did he cut it way to short but it is uneven. Plus while I told him I wanted it off my ears I did not say shave the sides of my head. But he has his own hair cut very short, just barely showing. The place basically does two hair styles, this one and flat tops. Ron has laid down the law , I will not be returning there again. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 20, 2019 @ 13:22

2. A bit of advice … if Ron is unable to be your “barber,” you need to go to a regular hair stylist. I’m serious! Barbers don’t listen. They just cut. Most of them have had no training on “styling” so they just do what they think most men want. Your haircut proves it.

I finally talked my other-half into going to my stylist and he’s been MUCH happier with the cuts. Now they’re trims and shaping rather than scalping.

And Dennis is correct. It will return to your preferred look within a few weeks — even though it will seem like forever! 😉

Comment by Nan — July 20, 2019 @ 13:37

• Hello Nan. My beard, my beautiful beard! It took a long time to get it shaped just right, now it is slagged. I will be looking for a new place for sure. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 20, 2019 @ 13:40

• While I personally didn’t care for your beard being quite so full, I do agree this guy got carried away. Oh well. Now you know what some of us women go through when we must go to a new stylist and s/he gets ahold of the scissors! Trust me. More than one of us have cried ourselves to sleep.

Comment by Nan — July 20, 2019 @ 13:54

3. What do I think – if they cannot give you the haircut and trim you requested you don’t want to give them your business. They have shown they do what they want rather than what you want. Find someone else.

Comment by MDavis — July 20, 2019 @ 13:40

• Hello MDavis. When I walked into the house Ron was furious. He hates the hair cut more than I do. He flat out said I will not go back to that place again, he is that upset about it. Oh well it will grow back, in a year or two. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 20, 2019 @ 13:43

4. You look great Scotty! I like it. Definitely look younger too.

Comment by jim- — July 20, 2019 @ 13:50

• Hello Jim. Thanks. Ron thinks it makes me look older. I think it has ruined my beard until it grows out and I can shape it again. I will learn to be more aware next time, but there was little I could have done, he just went to town with the clippers without asking about length. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 20, 2019 @ 13:54

5. I agree with Jim. I like this sort of retired from the military look. You look assertive.

Comment by The Pink Agendist — July 20, 2019 @ 15:14

• Hello Pink. Thank you, you are kind. I don’t mind the hair cut so much but hate what happened to my wonderful beard. Ron was beside himself over it. But it grows back. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 20, 2019 @ 15:21

6. I go to my wife’s hairdresser to get my beard trim and hair cut. I’m mostly bald, think the old monk look, and she does a great job that makes her happy. It costs about twice what the local name brand cut hair place costs, but I only go when my wife tells me, which is about once every 6 months or so, usually when I start looking like Santa (or Darwin). Come to think of it, I have only had my hair cut when someone tells me! Make your spouse happy, find a hair dresser who will cut your hair!

Comment by neal birch — July 20, 2019 @ 15:19

• Hello Neal. I think you have the right idea. Several people mentioned that. I don’t know why I never thought of it. I just looked up barber shops in my area. Guess I’m just old school. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 20, 2019 @ 15:23

7. I think you look great.

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — July 20, 2019 @ 17:07

• Hello Inspired. You are too kind sir. I look like a shaved bathed cat, sort of bedraggled and wondering what the hell I did to deserve this. 🤪😲😂🤣👍 Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 20, 2019 @ 17:10

• I cut my own hair, so I look like a porcupine that’s stuck its nose into an active light socket. 🙂

Comment by inspiredbythedivine1 — July 20, 2019 @ 17:34

• Hello Jeff. When Ron and I got together 30 years ago he insisted on cutting my hair. So over the years I just got use to him doing it. If I had anyone else do it he would recut it when I got home. However for the last three years it has gotten harder for him, yet he wouldn’t admit it. This last few months I needed a haircut and he and I talked. He admitted what was going on and I said OK, no need to hurt your self love, I can get it cut anywhere. So today I did. He freaked out when I got home. He hates it. I feel like a kid who should have taken mom with him to the barber. So I will find another place to get my hair cut. As for Ron’s hair as I said he has cut his own for as long as I can remember. One of his co-workers has a wife in the hair cutting business so he is going to her next week. I will not react to his cut as he did mine. I like eating his cooking. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 20, 2019 @ 17:48

8. Snazzy!

Comment by john zande — July 20, 2019 @ 21:36

• Hello John. I hate it. Especially the beard. I loved my bushy beard. But it will grow back. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 21, 2019 @ 04:56

• Grizzly Adams, perhaps?

Comment by john zande — July 21, 2019 @ 07:17

• Hello John. I had such a crush on him growing up. However I don’t keep my beard that long because hubby gets upset when it is that long. Keeping him happy is better than a long beard. I don’t care for beards that look unkempt, but I hate the five day unshaven look. I feel if your going to wear a beard, grow one. But I don’t control the world thankfully. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 21, 2019 @ 07:23

• Come to Brazil, seems EVERYONE has a beard here these days.

Comment by john zande — July 21, 2019 @ 07:45

• Hello John. I like how a beard looks on me, not so much others. 😁😉😎 Same here in the US, it is now the in thing to have a beard. How are things going down there with the authoritarian tRump like Jair Bolsonaro?
              Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 21, 2019 @ 07:49

• He’s a screaming idiot. Fortunately, he has very little power, the congress has him in a box.

Comment by john zande — July 21, 2019 @ 07:53

9. The good news, Scottie, is that it will grow back and now you know who NOT to go to—some dude running a clip-joint. If you got fleeced, try a stylist as someone suggested.

Myself, The Spouse used to trim me until she no longer could so I now pop into a unisex place when I need to. (Damsel running it does a great job and I get all the goss … boom boom!)

Comment by Argus — July 28, 2019 @ 17:09

• Hello Argus. You are spot on. Everyone I have told the story to says the same thing. Go to a known stylist. The hubby and I will both do that from now on. It hurt him to say he would rather not do my hair anymore as it hurt him. I was mortified to know it was causing him problems. He never said anything and insisted for years he on doing my hair. So it was a shock that we both got horrible cuts in the same week. He was to the point of insisting he wouldn’t ever go to anyone again. I talked him out of that. Be well Argus. Thanks. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — July 28, 2019 @ 17:28

10. You look like a dapper gentleman. Ron will get used to it. 🙂

Comment by Notes To Ponder — August 11, 2019 @ 07:13

• Hello Notes To Ponder. Thank you, you are very kind. I think I look like a criminal. At the time it looked horrible. It is growing out and I am using a nice light hair product to try to comb it. It reminded me of the buzz cut I got in military at Navy boot camp. That looked horrible also. 😃😄😁😀 Hugs

Comment by Scottie — August 11, 2019 @ 07:52

• Trust me, you’re being far too critical. This outside observer assures you it looks great. Makes you look years younger. Big hug. 🙂

Comment by Notes To Ponder — August 11, 2019 @ 07:54

• I tend to agree with you, NTP. It definitely gives him a more youthful look. But I guess he prefers the older, more mature, more “distinguished” look. 😁

Comment by Nan — August 11, 2019 @ 11:40