September 5, 2019

Let’s have more places do this

Filed under: Cartoons, Gun Control, Memes, News, NRA — Scottie @ 07:34

1. I overheard someone asking incredulously if Walmart thought they could actually prevent open carry in their stores. “Isn’t Walmart a public place?” I felt kinda sad about that.
    Hospitals refuse to allow open carry (exceptions for people like sheriffs), and you can’t get much more public than that, but, NO, Walmart stores are private property. People can be trespassed out of the store if they cannot behave themselves.

Comment by MDavis — September 5, 2019 @ 13:45

• Hello MDavis. Yes very true. Hey if they can deny service to people without shirts or shoes they can dang well prevent open carry. It is a great move on stores parts as it cuts down on their liability and polls show people don’t want to shop around people openly carrying guns. In fact we have had several incidences of cars backfiring that have caused panics, can you imagine a loud bang in a store where someone is carrying around an AR weapon over their shoulder? Personally as someone who had to carry a gun for most of my working life I don’t see the thrill of it. It did not make me a more powerful person, in fact it added to my responsibility / liability, it did not make me more attractive , it did not make my life better , in fact the weapons belt was heavy, uncomfortable sometimes, and I have known many officers who forgot the damn thing in a toilet where they hung it on the door hook to take care of business. And then walked out without the belt and all its crap. I think it is a person who really feels inferior to think a gun makes them powerful. We took training on how to keep our gun from being taken from us. We had a local Karate expert come in and show just how fast and easy he could take our gun even with it out and trained on him. But on the other hand todays police are taught their lives are at risk all the time and they must shoot to kill first to save themselves and that is just as wrong. The training is wrong for today’s law enforcement people, we use to be expected to put ourselves in danger, it was our choice to do the job, now they act like they are the victims. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — September 5, 2019 @ 14:53

• There was a display of huge balls, like beach balls, at our local Walmart. As the display aged and got mauled the balls started to POP.
        Fun times, fun times.

Comment by MDavis — September 5, 2019 @ 15:54

• Walmart is requesting no-carry. So long as it’s allowed via the state, I don’t think they can actually deny anyone from doing it. It’s kinda’ like the “service dog” situation. Also, I think you’ll agrees that shirts and shoes is much, much different.

Added note — I haven’t turned on the TV so I don’t have any details, but my other-half said he was coming home from running some errands and the parking lot at our local Walmart was crawling with cops.

Comment by Nan — September 5, 2019 @ 19:52

• I hope the cops don’t indicate something awful. Like maybe a protest of not being allowed open carry? I do believe that open carry can be banned in the store. The service dog thing is different, they are performing a service for their human who, by definition, needs the service dog to help them with something. Open carry isn’t something required unless it is part of your uniform, so it isn’t actually the same.
          Also, both Kroger and Walmart have access to their personal legal teams and they would have vetted the situation before making the announcement. There may be a challenge, buty they are probably within their rights to not allow open carry within their stores.
          It is likely to be a weaning process, though, to get customers to learn to leave their guns at home – like getting the pacifier away from your toddler.

Comment by MDavis — September 6, 2019 @ 01:07

• Hello Nan. Keep us informed on the situation at the local Walmart. Yes they can ban guns as they are a private business. They have the right to set the rules in that way. Service dogs are part of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 type thing. They have to make reasonable accommodations. Guns do not fall into that category. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — September 6, 2019 @ 05:07

• I can’t argue with you because I don’t know for sure, but it seems to me State Law supersedes business preferences. However, more to the point — it’s my understanding this was not an outright ban by Walmart. It was/is a request.

Both you and MDavis missed my point about the service dogs. A genuine service dog is most definitely permitted. I’m talking about those people who buy FAKE vests to make their “PET” look like a service dog. So what I was saying is — to me, open-carry is doing nothing more than pushing the limits. To put it another way, even though legal, it’s an “in your face” action, just like the fake service dogs.

Comment by Nan — September 6, 2019 @ 12:38

• Hello Nan. Yes state laws specifically banning or permitting something would have to be followed. However I think because states that have open carry are now passing laws that specifically allow you to carry in churches and school parking lots it seems that those places did have the power to ban guns. I agree with you I also do not know the state specific laws and these are companies that are national. I would say though that they have large legal departments (I worked for a Walmart for a few months in Jupiter FL. I can tell you some stories about that) so they must feel they are on safe ground legally.
              Yes I did miss your point on fake service dogs. I can not tell you how wrong it is that people do that, it takes value away from the real service animals and the people who need them, and makes people untrusting of real service animals.
              I read an interesting take on people who openly carry I had not thought of before. These people may think they are being tough and proactive, but in truth if some bad gun stuff did go down they are making themselves the first targets. They will be the first ones shot to prevent them from using their weapons, and then the shooter has their own plus the open carry persons guns. As always Nan, you give me things to think on. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — September 6, 2019 @ 13:02

• Wow – I would think that school parking lots are a place you would specifically NOT demand open carry be allowed. And the churches – if the church is, essentially, private property then that could end up being a challenge to gun rights. Which wins, the right to open carry in public to the point that private property is not exempted or private property rights?

Comment by MDavis — September 7, 2019 @ 12:10

• Hello MDavis. Those laws were of course passed in Texas. I think you pose a great point, what rights take precedence? Hugs

Comment by Scottie — September 8, 2019 @ 03:13

• My understanding is that people aren’t to be called out on their fake service dogs because it would be a violation of store policy to ask someone about their real service dogs. Since you cannot know for certain which dogs are fake in the first place, you risk infringing on the rights of people with their real service dogs. That policy includes “service dogs in training”, apparently.
              (I did see someone being told he must have his tiny dog on a leash, not in a cart, and he refused to do so, saying he was the dog’s service person as his wife had just died and the dog was inconsolable. People, amirite?)
              There is a sign in the vestibule saying that dogs are not allowed in the shopping carts, which took months, maybe even years, to get compliance on. I expect the same sort of resistance curve (Is that a thing? Like a learning curve? Well, it is now.) on the open carry laws.

Comment by MDavis — September 7, 2019 @ 12:05

2. Oh, hey, check this out –
    I wonder if the decision to bar open carry in Walmart stores was driven by the expectation that this would happen.

Comment by MDavis — September 6, 2019 @ 01:10