September 5, 2019

Trump’s penchant for terrorizing and tormenting Latino children for political gain is literally causing irreparable trauma

Filed under: Bigotry, Children, Criminal, Family, Fascism, Harm, Hate, News, Political, Questions, Race, Sad — Scottie @ 08:24

From “inconsolable” crying to refusing to eat to feeling “terrified,” the emotional distress suffered by migrant children detained by the Trump administration at the southern border is conveyed by a new report from a government watchdog that emphasizes the trauma the children are going through.

Experiences of “intense trauma” were common for those children in care even before their arrival in country, such as being a victim of abuse or witnessing murder, the report noted. Those separated from their parents by U.S. authorities went on to experience greater emotional and mental pain.

From the report:

According to program directors and mental health clinicians, separated children exhibited more fear, feelings of abandonment, and post-traumatic stress than did children who were not separated. Separated children experienced heightened feelings of anxiety and loss as a result of their unexpected separation from their parents after their arrival in the United States. For example, some separated children expressed acute grief that caused them to cry inconsolably.Children who did not understand why they were separated from their parents suffered elevated levels of mental distress. For example, program directors and mental health clinicians reported that children who believed their parents had abandoned them were angry and confused. Other children expressed feelings of fear or guilt and became concerned for their parents’ welfare. The difficulties that some facilities had in locating parents in detention and scheduling phone calls also contributed to children’s anxiety and fear for their parents’ well-being.

Their psychological anguish sometimes manifested physically. “You get a lot of ‘my chest hurts,’ even though everything is fine [medically],” said one medical director quoted in the report. “Children describe symptoms, ‘Every heartbeat hurts,’ ‘I can’t feel my heart,’ of emotional pain.”

One problem noted by the observers was that kids couldn’t distinguish between care providers and immigration agents. “Every single separated kid has been terrified. We’re [seen as] the enemy,” said one program director in the report.

1. There have already been studies done on this. I looked for research on PTSD in children for a paper I did years ago. Kids from war regions did better (i.e.: suffered fewer and less profound PTSD symptoms) when they stayed with their parents, even when staying with their parents meant staying in a more stressful and trauma-prone situation. The continuity of having family around in these situations helped. The examples that led to the papers that I found were from the middle east during a couple of the various wars that they always have going on and from London during the WWII bombings comparing the children sent to the country to the ones that stayed in London with their families.
    We don’t need more data! We already know this!

Comment by MDavis — September 5, 2019 @ 13:59

• Hello MDavis. I agree. I thank you for doing the research. What we need is to force the cult of tRump to understand what they are supporting. I get triggered every dang time I read about traumatized children and I wonder how the people in charge can not also? You are so correct that we know this, so why are they still doing it? Can it be they want the terror, they want the harm? Are they that sadistic? Are they that cruel? I still do not understand the Stephen Millers of our country that hate immigrants that much that they want to torture even the children this way. I don’t understand their hatred for POC. I simply do not understand what they think is so great about a “white nation” as it has been proven throughout history that white nation people commited the worst atrocities. I would like to ask each one of them how it would make their life better without POC? How would getting rid of brown people make them better in any way? I will tell you in the wealthy developments in W.P.B. the entire lawn care industry is supported by Guatemalans. Hard working people willing to do what white people won’t in horrible heat. Tell me how that ruins our country? But they can not, they just have to have someone to hate. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — September 5, 2019 @ 15:35

• My bottom line result (paper hypothesizing ADHD is related to PTSD) was that there are two ways to get diagnosed with ADHD – one is by having the activated allele (basically a genetic variant) that selects for hyper alertness and the other is to have what would be called PTSD in an adult. Kids aren’t eligible for a PTSD diagnoses, it is actually in the description of PTSD that the person be over a certain age. I wonder what other restrictions on diagnoses have made people’s lives worse over the years?

Comment by MDavis — September 5, 2019 @ 16:07

2. It boggles my mind how the same people who continue to support these heinous policies can DARE call themselves Christians. I am an atheist myself, but I have no issue with real Christians who actually LIVE by Christ’s teachings… But these people….

““The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” ” Burke

Comment by alienredqueen — September 18, 2019 @ 12:39

• Hello alienredqueen. I love that quote. I agree with you. May I take a minute to expand my thoughts on this? I agree with you that people of faith who are not using their faith to harm others I have no problem with, in fact I actively support their right to do so. But what ticks me off is all the “holy rollers”, the god people who only want to use their religion and its holy writings to bash other and to place themselves on a pedestal above the rest of us. I served two tours in the US military to protect every individuals rights, both the right to believe in a deity and the rights to live with out persecution or discrimination. Life, liberty, and Pursuit of Happiness. One can have a religious faith with out taking rights from others. It is not a zero sum game that many religions want to make it.

Ok I will get off my soap box now, thanks for letting me get that off my chest. The State Supreme Court of Arizona decision to grand cart blanch for any business to deny service to same sex people based on a made up deeply held religious belief is weighing heavy on me today. There is no way to appeal this, it is now the law in Arizona that it is legal to discriminate against LGBTQ just like back before any anti-discrimination or rights laws. Be well. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — September 18, 2019 @ 13:12

• Tucson looks favorite for a test case on religious people violating the “Life, liberty and pursuit of happiness” clause or the First Amendment violation in favoring a particular religion over secular peace. If a case does get kicked up to the Supremes while Kavanaugh is still seated it could be a problem, though. He has a vested interest in specific religious beliefs, such as the decree that women are less than, so he’d be hella likely to rule in favor of theocracy. He isn’t alone.

Comment by MDavis — September 19, 2019 @ 14:53

• Hello MDavis. The judges that tRump and McConnell put on the bench believe that their religion is a higher power and that any laws that conflict with their religion is wrong. What concerns me is these 150 life time judgeship’s they have filled with people who don’t believe Brown was decided correctly. They have placed 150 religious racist bigots in our courts to change our country for generations to come. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — September 19, 2019 @ 15:03

• I agree with you 100%. And to me Freedom of Religion does NOT Trump other people’s freedom from discrimination. I can’t even believe they upheld that decision, but I’ll tell you what, with people like Brett Kavanaugh at the helm, our democracy is in HUGE trouble.

Comment by alienredqueen — September 19, 2019 @ 16:59

• That was meant to be “trump” with a little “t”, although it’s pretty apt to say he (Trump with a big T)is at least partially responsible for the level of corruption going on in our government right now.

Comment by alienredqueen — September 19, 2019 @ 17:01