September 10, 2019

A Christian Victim of Female Genital Mutilation Wants KY to Criminalize It

This is some of what I mean by Religion harms children.   Remember this is happening in the US and a judge recently allowed it.  I just posted about the woman in the UK who basically kidnapped a little boy and took him to be circumcised against the parents wishes because of her Christian beliefs, and the judge gave her a small fine because of her faith.  Mutilating children’s genitals because adults are scared of sex has to stop.  It needs to be a serious crime because the child will have to deal with the effects all their life.  It is a life long sentence and so the people doing it need a serious punishment.    As always more at the link below.   Hugs

A Christian Victim of Female Genital Mutilation Wants KY to Criminalize It

Here are some uncomfortable truths: Female genital mutilation occurs. It’s a crisis. It’s almost entirely faith-based. And it’s not limited to Islamic nations. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found in 2016 that 513,000 girls and women in the United States were at risk for being cut or mutilated.

Just last year, a federal judge dismissed most of the charges against a Michigan doctor, Jumana Nagarwala, who allegedly mutilated more than 100 girls, on a technicality. He said that federal law prohibiting the practice was unconstitutional, as despicable as FGM is, due to a technicality in the way the law was written. (The doctor hasn’t been cleared of everything; she could still receive jail time.)

Perhaps the most shocking thing about Julie’s testimony was finding out she isn’t Muslim, as she explained in a joint essay for the Courier-Journal:

Born and raised in a white, Christian household in the United States, I (Jennifer) was sent on a long plane ride by my parents for a “special trip.” As a 5-year-old, I was led down dark stairs by strangers, held down, and my mouth covered. Without anesthesia, I was cut.

Every day I am reminded of the emotional and physical consequences of being cut. Though I can’t change what happened to me, there is something that drives my passion to get an anti-female genital mutilation bill passed in Kentucky: my daughters. Unfortunately, I have family members who still subscribe to this practice and believe it must be performed to control the sexuality of women and girls. As long as there is no law banning female genital mutilation in Kentucky, my daughters remain at risk of being subjected to the trauma of this practice.

1. I’ve told people FOR YEARS that fundamentalist Xtians do this to their daughters but NOBODY believes me. They insist that it’s an Islamist practice only. But of course they insist on that … people project their own sins upon other people to cover them up.

Comment by silverapplequeen — September 10, 2019 @ 06:26

• Hello silverapplequeen. Thank you for raising the issue and being willing to address it. These children can not defend themselves and need adults to stand up and protect them. That people do this, that they think it is OK, and the reason they give for doing stuns me. I understand they treat females like property, but why do they want to deprive them of good sensations of sex. They want to have sex with the women, so you would think they would want the females to want it. It makes no sense to me at all. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — September 10, 2019 @ 06:44

• To some religious idiots, sex is for procreation only. Enjoyment for the woman is never considered. Of course it’s a different story for the man!

Comment by Nan — September 10, 2019 @ 12:11

• Hello Nan. I understand the procreation argument even while I think it is stupid. No my point was if I wanted to eat someone else’s cooking, I would encourage them to be the best cook they could. ( I love Ron’s cooking and I make sure to complement his efforts and help with clean up ) I don’t understand men who want and like sex, who want to make it painful or unappealing for those they want to have sex with. It is self defeating in my view. I guess I am missing some part of this, but I never understood making sex bad for the very people you want to have sex with. It is like when men tell girls they can not, must not, shall not have sex, and yet tell boys to have as much sex as they can and want anytime they want. Conflicting messages unless they really want the boys to be having sex with other boys? Then they kill them for it. I am freaking confused. What about the transgenders, what standard should they do? I will say I think the penis has really screwed up our human history. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — September 10, 2019 @ 12:50

• Scottie, it’s not that they want to make it painful or unappealing … they just DON’T CARE! To many men (especially in some religious circles), it’s all about HIS satisfaction. The woman is just the instrument that makes that happen. And if it’s painful for her? Too bad, how sad.

Also, it isn’t so much they tell girls they can’t have sex … it’s more that they must WAIT until marriage. But the boys don’t get that same story. Well, maybe some do, but VERY few.

It’s all very lopsided, no matter how you look at it. And yes … your last line is right on!

Comment by Nan — September 10, 2019 @ 15:33

• Hello Nan. Wow. I guess there are still some things about humans I don’t understand. I thought I understood the reasons people do the things they do, the emotional drive. I did not agree with them, but I thought I could see why they were doing them. I am wrong.

I must be less smart than I think I am because this is another thing I simply can’t warp my head around. Doing this makes no sense. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — September 10, 2019 @ 16:08

• Scottie, you are NOT “less smart.” You just haven’t been exposed to the same things as some of us who have been religiously indoctrinated. And of course it doesn’t make good sense … but is there anything about religion that does?

Comment by Nan — September 10, 2019 @ 16:45

• Hello Nan. That is nice of you to say. Yet I feel at a loss here. I simply cannot square the circle. At the same time I can not seem to find a way to help other than what now which seems to me as yelling at the clouds. I will keep doing so incase I am doing some good. But I am very worried that we are moving hard to a theocracy and the Dominion Christian groups are winning. They have been organized to a single focus, they found allies, and they are now pushing all the judicial nominations. It is clear they do not care about morals, they care only about establishing their power. Even if tRump falls ( something I am not sure about as he is making all the moves to simply void the election ) the ideologue judges remain to make this a christian nation. My type will be the first to be denied equality, services, and then pushed off buildings, along with the POC. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — September 10, 2019 @ 17:31

• Hello Nan. As I am trying to push Milo off my keyboard and stopping him hitting my hand. I am feeling better and can breathe without the burning down my chest. I wanted to ask you a question. I had someone attack me and stop following my blog, then block me on their blog due to my stance on religion, due to a post they felt was way out of bounds. While I agreed they had the right to feel that way they said that because I could post such a thing meant our relationship was over and I was attacking them.
                  My question to is you , I have read your book and still refer to it, you who have family & friends who live in communities soaked in theology, how do you deal with former friends or family members who disagree?
                  On your blog you have such an even handed understanding way of dealing with believers, how do you handle it in your personal life. If you do not mind my asking, if so disregard this . Hugs

Comment by Scottie — September 10, 2019 @ 18:07

• Fortunately, most of my “religious” relatives live in California (and two of my granddaughters live in Texas) so my contact with them is minimal. Since they all know where I stand, the subject doesn’t enter our (infrequent) conversations.

For the most part, I don’t socialize so I don’t have any close friends where we live now — which pretty much eliminates any religious discussions.

As for people in general, it depends on whether my other-half is with me or not. If he is, I generally don’t say anything (but perhaps roll my eyes 🙄) since he still leans a bit “religious.” If he’s not with me, it depends a lot on what the other person says. I generally say something like, “I’m not religious” or “I’m not a Christian.” Perhaps it’s the way I say it (???), but nothing more is said.

Now, if I were in a situation where the topic was front and center, I would either remain silent (a pretty good sign of non-belief) or I might interject comments to counter their “preaching.”

I REALLY wouldn’t worry about losing an online relationship over religion/Christianity. Too many are ready to dish it out but can’t handle the recipient not liking their entree.

Comment by Nan — September 10, 2019 @ 18:37

• P.S. Thank you for the compliments.

P.S.#2 — Glad you’re feeling a wee bit better. As the old saying goes, “This too shall pass.”

Comment by Nan — September 10, 2019 @ 19:22

• I think rather than running into an IQ problem you’re having empathy issues. You has it, they have no more empathy for their wimminfolk that you have for the side dish of stuffing you have with your dinner. It’s there, you enjoy it, how can it have feelings worth considering?
                You, being an empathetic and feeling person have trouble grasping the concept because you can see they are talking about people, not a side dish.

Comment by MDavis — September 12, 2019 @ 01:01