November 14, 2019

Ohio House passes bill allowing student answers to be scientifically wrong due to religion

Filed under: Children, Criminal, Education, Fascism, News, Political, Questions, Religion — Scottie @ 18:25

Ohio lawmakers are weighing in on how public schools can teach things like evolution.

The Ohio House on Wednesday passed the “Student Religious Liberties Act.” Under the law, students can’t be penalized if their work is scientifically wrong as long as the reasoning is because of their religious beliefs.

Instead, students are graded on substance and relevance.

Every Republican in the House supported the bill. It now moves to the Republican-controlled Senate.

1. Have they all gone Loony-Tunes there,Surely the school will not be teaching the religious answers to the questions. Work should be assessed based on answers given according to the lessons on that subject. Imagine all these pupils going to work as engineers etc and telling their employer they only know how to build in cubits.
    Hugs

Comment by davidprosser — November 14, 2019 @ 20:33

• Hello David. It was approved in the Ohio state House by all the Republicans. Now it heads to the state Senate which is full of Republicans. So it is sure to pass. I do not know if the governor will sign it. But it should be illegal and also immoral. As you say it denies the kids an education if wrong answers are graded yes because the kids have religious beliefs. It is more of this push to grant Christianity, and only Christianity, special privileges just as they are demanding the right to discriminate against LGBTQ and females. They really are trying to set Christians as a higher class who can disobey laws that all the non-Christians have to follow. Seems they have learned from the Orthodox Jews who have special rights and privileges. I just thought of the demand to have religious exemptions from vaccines laws and rules. More of the same. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 15, 2019 @ 03:38

2. Hi Scottie;
    Couldn’t help but remember…. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu7A8LIzL1o

hugs

Comment by randy — November 14, 2019 @ 21:56

• Hello Randy. Happy weekend. The clip seems to be the way the Republicans are acting now with the impeachment hearings. No facts just “tRump says …”. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 15, 2019 @ 03:42

3. Hi, Scottie –
    Now that these Rethuglicon Holy Rollers are so intent on dragging us all back into the Dark Ages, I have just one question:

Could they maybe give us some tips on how to accessorize sackcloth & ashes?

Comment by Dennis Cole — November 15, 2019 @ 10:44

• Hello Dennis. Grand! Yes they want to drag us to a time when they think white Christian males were in charge and all others served them. When the church ruled and all men followed the rule of the head of the church and the demands of the local priests. What sad little ticks these pricks are. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 15, 2019 @ 11:32

4. Thanks, Scottie –
    I don’t need much advice purse-wise, but maybe some suggestions on which manly man-bag gets their approval, and will “Wing-tips” still be de rigueur, except for the more formal occasions? Also, what about wearing white before Easter and after Labor Day?

Comment by Dennis Cole — November 15, 2019 @ 13:28

• Hello Dennis. Oh wow. Ron tells everyone I am not allowed to decorate the house because in his words ” That gay gene totally skipped Scottie”. I think he would feel that way about my fashion sense also. So sorry my friend anything I could advise might get you arrested as either a homeless derelict or as a crime against humanity. I rather could use your advise on general dress so as not to outrage and terrify my own neighbors who often claim I am a traveling hobo due to my unruly beard who maybe afraid I will bath in their bird baths. šŸ˜€šŸ˜ƒšŸ˜„šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‹šŸ˜‹šŸ˜Ž I love your comment. Hugs

Ps. Remind me some time to tell you about the first Christmas Ron and I spent together. I decorated before he got home. To give you an idea of his reaction, the first time I brought Ron home to my home he walked in, looked around, and I remember clearly what he said “Wow, nice place, all the rest of it has to go”! That was the start of the big change. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 15, 2019 @ 14:29

5. Scottie, I recall a student suing the State of Louisiana for requiring the teaching of creationism. He was supported by 170 + Nobel laureates in science. So, in Ohio, the answer to the age of the world can now be 6,000 years in spite of geological evidence to the contrary.

Here is a bible question raised by scholars who studied the artifacts at the time of Jesus. Why is Palm Sunday in the spring when palm fronds were harvested in the fall? I have seen a well-done documentary that led to the conclusion Jesus rode into Jerusalem in the fall, not spring. As a Christian, I find that interesting. It is one of the reasons why, like about 45% Christians, we should view the bible not for exactness, but for the overarching lessons.

Keith

Comment by Keith — November 17, 2019 @ 11:55

• Hello Keith. I can not wrap my head around giving full credit to a wrong answer just to give religion a privilege. Are all religions equal or is only Christianity the only one given the right to use wrong answers. Can it be used in all subjects? How about the future for these children? College is going to be a real eye opener for them. This is so horrible.

Keith I really am worried about this push to force religion into public schools and all the Project Blitz stuff. The non-religious community really needed to take this stuff seriously long before now. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 17, 2019 @ 12:46

• Scottie, I am old enough to remember the elimination of prayer in school. Separation of church and state is an important foundation of our country.

As for teaching against science and history, that is just foolish. We are in a globally competitive world. Our country has already fallen in the global ranks of math and science. Jobs are created around innovation. This is a main concern of the asinine restrictions on immigration. New ideas, new approaches do not come from just home grown folks, especially those trailing in science and math. Keith

Comment by Keith — November 17, 2019 @ 13:00

• Hello Keith. Thank you for your reply. If you might indulge me in a bit more conversation please. We have seen the decline in other countries that use to have great science and biological achievements including civil rights for the people that then turned hard to religion and declined from that status. History shows that our earliest major advancement in many things from math to astronomy happened in Muslim countries under Islam. Then fundamentalism kicked in and it was all lost.

Kieth in this arena I think your voice may be more important than mine because you are a believer and I am not. You can relate to those that would dismiss my concerns as coming from a heretic. I also understand there are two different groups of religious people, those that use their faith as a personal growth aid and those that use their religion to bash others. With that preface let me ask you, how do we keep separation of church and state in this current climate of people in the highest level of government and in every state level including now stacked judges on major courts trying hard to push their religion into our government / the daily lives of all the people, many of whom will not be Christian and will not want it? Basically how to we respond to the concentrated work of nearly 40 years of die hard Christians to turn the nation into a theocracy. I find what they have accomplished to be very scary and a personal threat to my rights and existence in the US while also see it as an assault on what made this country great in all aspects of science and learning. It is like they most desire to take the country ( or world ) back in time 200 or more years in time. I look forward to your thoughts on this subject. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 17, 2019 @ 13:23

• Scottie, excellent point. I have written a few posts about this. I focus on the overarching messages in religious texts. Treat others like you want to be treated is called the Golden Rule in the Christian bible, but variations of the same theme can be found in other religious texts.

With that said, if we focus on the minutae, it is not possible that every word in religious texts to be factually correct. The words may have been divinely inspired, but they were written, edited, interpreted, translated and reinterpreted by “imperfect men.” Both words are important. They also were written based on the context of the time of each step noted above. The gospels were written by four different men ranging from 30 plus to 70 plus years after Jesus died. They were not written in the same language and there are some inconsistencies. Yet, “gospel” means good news, so we should not view them as verbatim accurate, but they still are of value,

As for dismissing science and math, your example of fundamental Islam rooting out the two is a great example. There are many origins of higher math and science in the Middle East, an advantage that was squandered.

Yet, there is a bigger context today. That “imperfect men” statement restricts even today. If a country or region treats women as subordinate to men denying opportunity, it is competing in a world with only half its assets. Some countries have been able to mask this by having an abundance of a natural resource, but countries where women have more equal footing are better positioned to compete.

Religion plays an important role, but we must not use its text as a weapon to divide. When religions are inclusive, they are at their finest; when religions are exclusive, they are at their absolute worst. Keith

Comment by Keith — November 17, 2019 @ 15:23

• Hello Keith. You make many clear and correct points. I can agree with much of it. What do all of us working together, believers and non-believers, do to combat what the fanatical evangelical driven religious groups have manage to do to force religion into our government and on to people who do not share their faith views. As a point all these in “God We Trust” laws forcing the slogan to be posted in schools and on police cars or the attempts to place Christian monuments such as the ten commandments and nativity displays on public grounds but blocking any other displays? I do worry that civil rights are being degraded in the US to return Christianity to the unspoken place it once held in our society then to further promote it and to block any other religion from being accorded equal footing. It seems all the progressive secular progress is being undone to give Christianity a larger place in our society / government. How do we fight / change this? Hugs

Comment by Scottie — November 17, 2019 @ 15:40

• Scottie, many of these laws are unconstitutional. The best service we can do is ask questions turning the tables? So, you will be OK if a person supports their answer through Hindu, Sikh, Islamic doctrine. What about a Jewish deli refusing to serve people who do not adhere to Kosher serving methods? What about a first responder refusing to serve someone who made a poor decision and now needs help? And, so on. Keith

Comment by Keith — November 17, 2019 @ 20:53