December 8, 2019

Capitalism and socialism coexists

Filed under: News — Scottie @ 14:40

Hello Keith. Thank you for your explanation of these parts of our economic situation. As your other commenters mentioned there is a fear in the word socialism / socialist with out the person realizing we are already a mixture. The fact is most successful country’s are a mixture. Even China realized that and moved in that direction just from the other side than we did. We need to understand that runaway capitalism with no checks will kill the goose that lays the golden eggs in the pursuit of getting more of the eggs. What is the saying moderation in all things? I have recently been engaged with a young person who has been mislead about all of this and is sure that any thing that benefits the lower incomes will lead to the destruction of the country. He has been indoctrinated by far right media to fear anything but our status quo and the movement of money from the lower incomes up to the highest levels. I am so hopeful he reads your post.

To my Toy Box viewers. This is a blog I enjoy, from someone who can speak to both sides of the political argument as he has lived them. I will be reblogging more of his posts as he was good enough to send me the links I asked for. Best wishes, hugs

musingsofanoldfart

On more than one occasion, I have seen letters to the editor speak of setting up beachheads in the coming election around capitalism vs. socialism. To me, this is a name-calling gimmick to persuade a voter who does not do much homework. Voters that are prone to listen to name-calling as debate will buy into this logic time and again. The irony in this debate is the United States’ economy is a blend of “fettered” capitalism with socialistic underpinnings. So, both co-exist here.

For readers in the either camp, this observation probably surprises them, especially those who are gung-ho capitalists. But, the word in quotes is also important as we do not have unfettered capitalism. If we did, the US President would have run out of money long ago with his many bankruptcies. I believe in capitalism as well, but we need to understand why we ventured down the path…

View original post 559 more words

1. We HAD a mixture of Capitalism & Socialism! It was called THE NEW DEAL! & the GOP, specifically the Libertarian arm of the GOP, led by Reagan, KILLED IT OFF, by yelling “SOCIALISM” & “BIG GOVERNMENT IS BAD” & saying that “TAXES ARE BAD” & now everything thinks that … now we have nothing nothing nothing at all. Everything is crumbling around us while the rich get richer & the only government arm that gets financed is the military.

It’s so painful … how people who grew up in this era seemingly have NO MEMORY of this whatsoever? How can this be? Is it all the marijuana they smoked in their teens? Or all the statins they’re taking now? WHERE ARE THEIR BRAINS???

I feel like I’m living in the Twilight Zone. yes, I know I’m almost 60 & these are my so-called Twilight years but still.

Comment by silverapplequeen — December 9, 2019 @ 04:48

• Hello silverapplequeen. Great points, you are correct IMO. I was in a conversation recently with someone and pointed out that the period of most economic growth and the creation of the middle class was the high tax rates on the wealthy. I pointed out the wealthy made great returns on their money and got wealthier, but they shared some of the wealth back to the others and the economy grew for everyone. When we changed that and shifted the tax burden to the lower incomes the system crashed. Basically as you say they are killing the goose that lays the golden eggs by wringing the very last dollar out of it for themselves. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 9, 2019 @ 06:20

• I agree, silverqueen. It’s astonishing how people are so prone to hear only those who scream the loudest.

Comment by Nan — December 9, 2019 @ 13:29

2. Thanks again Scottie. There are several socialistic programs that stave off the wolves – Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, unemployment benefits, etc. Yet, with that said, there is the long time belief that way too many are gaming the system, when the data supports only a small percentage that do.

When I have spoken (as a former Board member) to Rotary groups, church groups, etc. about some work a group that helps homeless working families does, there are several themes I have to reiterate. These people have jobs, often multiple ones, and lost their home due to a financial emergency, healthcare expense, car breakdown, reduced hours, etc. The other them is the one I make above – the people I come across are hard working and devout.

Poverty is not defined by being less pious. Nor is it defined by laziness. Poverty is “absence of money” period. I have had several conversations with some conservative folks who would take issue with this statement. Yes, there are a small percentage of people who game the system such as less than 5%, but let’s focus on the 95%.

Keith

Comment by Keith — December 10, 2019 @ 11:12

• Hello Keith. Well said sir, very well said. The point of the poor being lazy and been taught bad habits / no responsibility is one Dylan just wrote in a comment on my blog. Several of us tried to correct his impression of lower incomes but I wonder if he will listen. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 10, 2019 @ 11:55

3. As I understand, is the difficulty is people not truly thinking for themselves. Oh, we all think, but I believe only a few look to the core of ideas, the reasonings behind, and want things fixed for them what they should/could be doing for themselves. That’s the beauty of our foundation and Constitution. Yes, some will struggle more than others, depending upon their willingness. But with freedom comes difficulties, but also opportunities. The other choice is to keep removing our freedoms. To be free is to take the good with the consequences.

Comment by dolphinwrite — January 8, 2020 @ 15:44

• Hello dolphinwrite. Welcome back to my Toy Box. Your comment is too disjointed to really make much sense of. But if I did interpret it correctly you seen to be blaming the victims and parroting some kind of wealthy Republican talking point. If you do want to have an honest discussion of this subject with facts, yes facts and data, then I recommend you respond again with something coherent enough we can discuss it. Thanks. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — January 8, 2020 @ 16:32

• Well, I’ll be going onto other articles. Enjoy your toy box. The one’s who are looking to understand will. The deed is done. Adios.

Comment by dolphinwrite — January 8, 2020 @ 19:13