December 12, 2019

Main blogging computer

Filed under: My Life and Rants — Scottie @ 15:58

Sorry everyone, my main blogging computer is down and being run through reset.  Starting monday it got hit with malware attacks, and Norton took care of them.  But yesterday I suspected something and today I tried to play several twitter videos  and they wouldn’t play.  So I sent them to my pad and they would.  I sent them to this computer and they did play.   That meant I had a problem with my main blogging computer.  That means something has happened so I decided to simply reset the computer, hopefully that will fix any problems.   Until tomorrow, Hugs

1. Scottie, I know you’re “hooked up” to a lot of different things on the internet, but you seem to have an over-abundance of malware strikes. You’ve expressed your satisfaction with Norton, but it isn’t one of the higher rated protection systems. Plus it’s more expensive than some of the others that are rated higher.

Perhaps it’s time to do a little research?

Comment by Nan — December 12, 2019 @ 16:03

• Hello Nan. I think you are incorrect. Norton is a couple points below Bitdefender in ease of use but listed in the top rankings of every list I looked at. Normally right after Bitdefender. Last year when these attacks started putting me off line for the time it would take me to dump and reload, I bought Bitdefender and Malwarebytes. Neither were as good as Norton. Norton was the only one that was able to find the root kit S-1-5-21 malware. Plus I get it free with my Comcast subscription. This morning I went to a news web site and got hit right away with two intrusion attempts that Norton blocked. Everyone gets hit all the time as they probe your computer defenses but most don’t know it. I have Norton set to inform me of all attempts medium threat and higher. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 13, 2019 @ 04:11

• I don’t deny Norton is a good system, but on the rating site I looked at (can’t locate it now), it was not rated all that high. Of course “free” helps in decision-making. 😉

Do you also use ad-blocking software?

It most likely has something to do with what I said before — you access a much higher average of news sites than the average user. That has got to play a role.

Comment by Nan — December 13, 2019 @ 12:27

• Hello Nan. Yes I use ABP, ad block plus. A free / donation system that works grand. It seems that sites that are really popular get malware on them until the company finds and removes it, but where I get hit most is the off main stream news sites or forums. This morning I started by looking up something I had read last night, as soon as I hit the first site I got a notification by Norton it blocked a Trojan, Then a few minutes later I got another notification of a different Trojan attack. Most attacks do not even get far enough to give a notification, but sometimes I catch something odd happening that shouldn’t. A slow down of the computer, videos that wont play correctly, a shift in the screen. That means some attack was not successful but did mess things up a bit or that there is an ongoing attack. That last is normally what happens if I go to a right wing bullshit site following a link or something, I get hit with waves of attacks. I do think part of it is all the anti-tRump stuff I post. Anyway, no problem, a simple dump and reset takes about 3 to 4 hours to be fully restored ( about an hour or more to be back online ) and all settings adjusted, a factory install can take the better part of the day with all the updating. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 13, 2019 @ 17:24

2. I double up the protection these days. I guess my thinking is that if one misses something the other might catch it.

Comment by bereavedandbeingasingleparent — December 12, 2019 @ 17:57

• Hello bereavedandbeingasingleparent. I agree to a point. I run both the firewall / malware protections of Norton and Windows Defender and I use a utility program that cleans the registry and all the other things. But you do need to make sure if you are running two antivirus / firewalls that they do not fight each other. What is interesting is it is always the main blogging computer that gets hit. The one I scour the web looking for news stories and do searches on. The video computer basically only goes to 8 to 10 sites anyway. So it rarely is bothered. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — December 13, 2019 @ 04:22