January 27, 2020

Trump immigration clampdown may threaten Americans’ jobs, wages, economists say

Filed under: Bigotry, Economics, News, Political, Questions, Race, Reason — Scottie @ 07:20

The 20-year-old San Diego bakery Con Pane Rustic Breads & Cafe went out of business this month after an audit by US authorities found immigrants working there illegally.

In April, a small Nebraska town lost a potato processing plant, and the local revenue it generated, in the wake of an immigration raid on its facilities. A restaurant in New York appears to have suffered similar fate in August.

Farmers say they are planting less, turning to automation, eliminating some crops, leaving them to rot in the field or contemplating selling out of the business altogether — all because they cannot find enough immigrant labor.

As the US birth rate is falling and a labor shortage is worsening, President Donald Trump’s crackdown on immigrants could make the situation worse for businesses like these.

There is more information at the link above.  I don’t like that the employers are paying lower wages to these immigrants, but the article points out how much we have come to depend on them.   Basically we need immigrants.    Hugs

1. Careful Scottie … that last comment could have the suits with their (very) dark glasses after you!

Comment by Nan — January 27, 2020 @ 12:34

• Hello Nan. The truth is often hard to accept especially when it runs counter to bigotry and prejudice. My blog is too small to attract guys in suits but I have gotten some lower class attackers. Normally they do drive by hate comments and never answer or comment again. Not sure how they even find the blog, I don’t use tags which is what the search engines use to categorize sites. I should start, might get more traffic. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — January 27, 2020 @ 12:43

• Trollers also use categories.

Comment by Nan — January 27, 2020 @ 12:47

• Oh I did not know you could use than to search with. Oh well. I have responded to some of the more coherent ones but they rarely respond a second time. I am not much fun because I don’t get all bent out of shape , angry , or ranty. I don’t go snowflake, so they go looking for other targets. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — January 27, 2020 @ 13:05

2. Sorry Scottie- what’s really needed is a paradigm shift; but you already knew that, right? Most of the Big Ag Cos are staunch Rethugs, and regular contributors to their PACs and Super PACs, which is why we won’t see any crackdowns on those cos for hiring “illegals.” Which is VERY illegal itself, but as we’ve seen and continue to see is their blatant disregard for the Law, esp since there are never any consequences.

Comment by Dennis Cole — January 27, 2020 @ 13:48

• Hello Dennis. I agree. I remember when Georgia made threats to come down hard on illegal immigrants, they lost over a billion dollars from lost crops. Farmers couldn’t get the crops picked, stores had to raise prices. It was a disaster. But you are right, they never go after the owner or the company. I could only find one case of a company owner getting into legal trouble after a big ICE raid, and that was for tax evasion. Hugs

Comment by Scottie — January 27, 2020 @ 13:56